“Pleasant”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #33 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed in a superior Queen room, good tarrif. Room clean, bed comfortable. Air conditioning a little loud but room was quiet overall. Big plus for great Wi-Fi, big minus for having to pay for parking in what is a Canberra suburb. And the carpark is not that small.

Room Tip: Plenty of free overnight parking in the street behind.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thanks very much for your comments; quite positive on rate, room and Wi-Fi.

I acknowledge your point about parking; we will check rates at nearby hotels and review our charges if required.

Thanks again, please visit soon.

jon_ackary@rydges.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,105)

Reviewed February 4, 2013

The lobby is beautiful, the room is spacious and appears clean and new. However the bathrooms could definitely use a face lift. Tile cracked, old bathtub, and everything appears a little dirty. Also the plugs in the room, of which there are several, are all located on the floorboards. If anyone has a macbook they won't be able to charge their computer which obviously is a problem.
I have stayed at several hotels throughout Australia; this is the first hotel that will not offer any solution to us trying to plug our computers into the tv. All of the other hotels have either unlocked the side panel, given us a factory remote, or an additional unlocked tv. Yes one hotel brought us a second tv just so we could plug into it. I stayed there a week and was not able to watch any of my own movies or tv shows through their television. I don't know why a hotel would do this. I don't know if it is to ensure that we will purchase their programming. But I can assure you-we didn't. It still didn't make us buy their content, and just left us with a bad taste in our mouth.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank travel_work_love
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thanks for highlighting the issues with power points and TV connection to PC. We today ordered adaptors for all rooms so that Apple Devices can be more easily charged.

The TV to PC connection will be sorted in the next month we need to make some changes to the system set-up to make this simple to do. All of the 27 channels on our system are free of charge including 8 Foxtel channels; our motivation is not force guests to pay for content however I can understand that this was an annoying inconvenience.

Thank you for the feedback, it was very helpful.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you are returning, I would be pleased to have any other comments on our Hotel and ensure your stay is up to expectation.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Impressive lobby, however the room although adequate albeit small and aged.
Comfortable bed and facilities, close the new Parliament House.
Charge extra for underground secure parking.
For the price good value.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Our promised bedroom refurbishment is as I write 90% complete; we expect to finish all rooms by the end of February.

This involved replacing carpets, curtains, bedside tables, coffee tables and repainting all bedrooms. The desks and beds were in quite good shape – we are really pleased with the result.

Thanks very much for your feedback, please visit us again soon.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Staff were friendly, room was nice.
Bed was too small and we had no option to upsize on internet booking.
The room service hamburger was the best we have tasted in a very long time! Exceptional.
Decor was good
Fantastic access to local sites.

Room Tip: If you can choose between a queen and king room, please do. We did not have this option and the quee...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Hope you also enjoyed what was a great game, lots of runs!

I was pleased to read that staff were friendly and the burger tasty, always important to get the basics right.

Note your comment on the Queen Bed, to make sure you get a King I suggest you book a King Spa Suite which is typically only $20 more and has a much bigger marble bathroom with spa for 2.

Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Arrived and the incorrect room had been booked, staff error, not impressed. Hotel booked out so no option to move. Room was too small for our needs, however, was still a nice room. Spoke to Hotel Manager on our return regarding mistake, came to an arrangement promptly, professionally, we will be returning in the future.

Breakfast was great, pool and spa great. Parking easy.

Look forward to returning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 9Amanda9

Sometimes it does not go all to plan so “Service Recovery” is so important for us, indeed any business – I’m pleased to read that we sorted the issue out to your satisfaction.

We’re working to improve breakfast as a priority and the pool is certainly a great asset, great to see you enjoyed both.

See you next visit.

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Be aware that you have to pay in advance and there is a surcharge for using a credit card. Apparently they want cash in advance for the room.

Everything looks worn - Carpets, furniture. The central foyer is an exception.

This used to be a really great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013

Hopefully you give us another chance as our refurbishment is almost finished the result is a great improvement; I agree with your view that the bedrooms WERE looking worn and tired.

Regarding credit; we ask for a credit card on arrival and add 1.5% for Visa and Mastercard. There is no added charge for cash or Debit Card although we will require payment on arrival – pretty standard for the industry in my experience. Internationally it is often practise for Hotels to ask for a Passport as security, I have not seen this in Australia. Please accept my sincere apologies if we offended you in any way.

If you are contemplating a return visit please email me directly and I will do all I can to ensure your stay is up to expectation.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Clean and tidy, spacious rooms, but certainly is now getting a bit run down. Lobby still looks nice, but the rooms are "tired" as other people have said. Good: Bed was very comfortable, good location, free wi-fi (at least in lobby, I didn't try it in the rooms). Bad: Old aircon, bathroom small compared to size of room and looking old; you COULD NOT plug an iphone or ipad into the powerpoints - they are located on the wall right next to the floor so a standard apple charger won't fit - only place I could plug my phone into charge was the bathroom.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for your patience; we will finish our bedroom refurbishment this month the result is very pleasing.

Currently free wifi covers all of our public areas and about 40% of guest rooms; we’re extending coverage to the entire hotel next month. If you like a bigger bathroom I’d suggest a King Spa Suite which is only $20 more – there images on this website.

For Apple users the power points in the bedrooms are I agree very annoying and today we ordered adaptors for all rooms so that they can be charged without a trip to the front desk for an adaptor.

Please visit us again soon and contact me if I can be of any personal assistance.