“Rydges Capital Hill, great position.”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #33 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Arrived and the incorrect room had been booked, staff error, not impressed. Hotel booked out so no option to move. Room was too small for our needs, however, was still a nice room. Spoke to Hotel Manager on our return regarding mistake, came to an arrangement promptly, professionally, we will be returning in the future.

Breakfast was great, pool and spa great. Parking easy.

Look forward to returning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 9Amanda9
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Sometimes it does not go all to plan so “Service Recovery” is so important for us, indeed any business – I’m pleased to read that we sorted the issue out to your satisfaction.

We’re working to improve breakfast as a priority and the pool is certainly a great asset, great to see you enjoyed both.

See you next visit.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Capital Hill Canberra

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

Be aware that you have to pay in advance and there is a surcharge for using a credit card. Apparently they want cash in advance for the room.

Everything looks worn - Carpets, furniture. The central foyer is an exception.

This used to be a really great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013

Hopefully you give us another chance as our refurbishment is almost finished the result is a great improvement; I agree with your view that the bedrooms WERE looking worn and tired.

Regarding credit; we ask for a credit card on arrival and add 1.5% for Visa and Mastercard. There is no added charge for cash or Debit Card although we will require payment on arrival – pretty standard for the industry in my experience. Internationally it is often practise for Hotels to ask for a Passport as security, I have not seen this in Australia. Please accept my sincere apologies if we offended you in any way.

If you are contemplating a return visit please email me directly and I will do all I can to ensure your stay is up to expectation.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Clean and tidy, spacious rooms, but certainly is now getting a bit run down. Lobby still looks nice, but the rooms are "tired" as other people have said. Good: Bed was very comfortable, good location, free wi-fi (at least in lobby, I didn't try it in the rooms). Bad: Old aircon, bathroom small compared to size of room and looking old; you COULD NOT plug an iphone or ipad into the powerpoints - they are located on the wall right next to the floor so a standard apple charger won't fit - only place I could plug my phone into charge was the bathroom.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Thanks for your patience; we will finish our bedroom refurbishment this month the result is very pleasing.

Currently free wifi covers all of our public areas and about 40% of guest rooms; we’re extending coverage to the entire hotel next month. If you like a bigger bathroom I’d suggest a King Spa Suite which is only $20 more – there images on this website.

For Apple users the power points in the bedrooms are I agree very annoying and today we ordered adaptors for all rooms so that they can be charged without a trip to the front desk for an adaptor.

Please visit us again soon and contact me if I can be of any personal assistance.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We booked a family escape to take our 6 yo grandson to Canberra to visit various kid sights in Canberra. Our family room was well equipped and our grandson loved the pool and spa. Our breakfast was included, the buffet was standard hotel fare, disappointed that the scrambled eggs were empty. If not for a huge thunderstorm we could have easily walked to Manuka to enjoy loads of international restaurants.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thanks very much for your comments; quite positive on location, room and pool.

I acknowledge your point about breakfast, we need to refocus our efforts here and will improve in 2013 it is a critical part of the experience that we need to get right.

Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Back when this hotel was built (1970s?) it must have been great- very large rooms and they face an internal garden with real and large trees. But now it is very tired and needs to be updated. The revolving front door doesn't work, there are no movies available on TV due to fault, my bathroom had large cracks in the floor tiles and water seeping from floor above. The wardrobe had marks under the handles from people's fingernails. Very good bed though and a good sleep was had. Breakfast was ordinary with juices not available on one day. A good 1km from Manuka town centre and no other close shops.

Room Tip: Dont get a room on the Parliament side of bldg on ground floor- very noisy (bar and toilet).
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Was tired, now spruced up!

As of today February 15 we have completed refurbishment of 160 out 186 bedrooms so nearly finished. No more worn bedside or coffee tables, old curtains or carpet - gone. I was of course aware and frustrated that the revolving front door was not working for a few days (took a few to get parts) but it is now fixed.

Most important was great that the bed was comfortable and you slept well.

I note your comment regarding breakfast and am redoubling our efforts in this critical area of our operations.

Please visit us again soon and email me if I can be of any personal assistance.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Tired is the only description I could use. Rooms are large but the fillings are original very dark and worn. Sheets are not big enough for the beds and cannot be tucked in on the sides. No hand towels in bathrooms. Old noisy airconditioning.

But on the positive, per booked full buffet breakfast at $15.00 is excellent value. Easy walk to cafes and restaurants at Manuka a little further to Kingston eating area. Also very helpful staff.

There are far more modern hotels in the area that I would select in the future.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms do not allow you to open balcony door due to safety and security.
1  Thank Work&Play1
RydgesNS, General Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

“Helpful Staff” – thanks very much so good to have that feedback. Also pleasing to read you enjoyed breakfast and thought the rooms spacious, I take your point and agree that the rooms are/were quite worn – fortunately we’ve refurbished bedrooms since you were here. I’m disappointed that you did not get a chance to experience the much improved product.

The comment that “ground floor rooms do not allow you to open balcony door due to safety and security” is confusing? There are security latches or locks on all ground floor rooms; however I will ensure maintenance conducts an audit to ensure they are all working effectively – you may be assured that we view this with the greatest concern and it MUST be 100%.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Whoever is in charge of customer service at Rydges Capital Hill you should be bottled! Warm, welcoming and natural. The hotel has had some minor refurbishment ( ie new carpet) and is in a good location close to Parliament House, National Gallery, Manuka shops etc but basically it feels and looks tired. My room which opened onto the central garden was beautifully quiet and had opening windows. If trip advisor had half stars I'd make it 3.5 as it's a bit more than average but until there's a bit of a tart up it will have to be a 3.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard facing room, though I've had a road facing room before now and it was fine.
2  Thank Wirraburra

Your “Gold Star” and kind comments regarding the staff are most appreciated; please be assured I have shared them with the team here at Capital Hill.

Regarding refurbishment; add to the new carpet.........curtains, coffee tables, bedside tables and a repaint we’ve headed in the right direction. Perhaps you can add a fourth star to the Tripadvisor rating next time?

Please visit us again soon.