“Noisy, overpriced for what you get”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #33 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I stay in Canberra frequently but never here before or again. It is now 10.30pm and loud music beats outside the room from a function. Plates dirty at breakfast and food cold. Nice pool and reception staff helpful. But this is 3 star at the most. And I wish the noise would stop so we could get to sleep! Early start tomorrow. Maybe the inside rooms could be double glazed

• Stayed: December 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,102)

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Usually we classify this type of hotel beyond our means but with a scoopon voucher we received an upgrade to a king room with spa, a very satisfying bottle of wine and cooked breakfast each day. The most impressive feature was the friendly helpful attitude of ALL the staff. Nothing was a problem for them. The only thing which was a little below par was the pizza we purchased as a light meal on the Saturday night. A great locality for all sightseeing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travellermarion
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This hotel would have been amazing in the 90s (or 70s) or whenever it was built.
Its a strange place, huge open spaces, enormous rooms with no apparent reason for them being so large, aged old furniture.
It has a nice large pool, perfect for lap swimming but them charge around $8 to use the gym.
The gym is better than many hotel gyms, but still suffers from aged equipment and not enough of it. I did enjoy the sauna.

The breakfast was limited quality, understaffed and limited range.

One big thing to know is that Manuka is just 300metres down the road, come out of the hotel and turn left and keep walking for about 10 minutes and you will find a huge number of food outlets, with great quality food.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Anthony V
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Room was okay, but for the price you pay for you still pay $12 day for parking, wifi not included. Other than that it was an average room, expected a bit more for this class of hotel.

I probably wouldn't recommended this hotel if you like classy hotels for those prices

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was in Canberra for a conference and moved to this hotel for one night before going home. The entrance was beautiful and the reception staff were helpful. I was lucky to get a carpark in the free area (but there are extremely limited spaces - there is a paid undercover parking area too). The wifi was convenient but I didn't pay for things like breakfast or room service. I didn't have time to use the pool or other facilities. The room itself was quite a large size for one person, with the space in the short passage to the bathroom filled with an extra sink and tea/coffee facilities as well as a wardrobe. The room was clean but you could see chipped paint on the doors, in the bathroom, on the TV console.

Some impractical things: 1) the distance between the toilet and the toilet paper was a big stretch (for a short person); 2) the main room light is only accessible when you get to the bed area; 3) the main room light is quite dim (so if you are sitting on the couch, you need to turn on the lamp at the desk for enough lighting in the room); 4) the thermostat for the air conditioning/heating is pre-set, so all you can select is "heat" or "cool" for the temperature; 5) I had to unplug and replug the AV cable (squished behind the heavy TV console) for the TV screen to work; 6) there are no spare powerpoint outlets at the study desk (eg. for charging my computer) - either I had to disconnect power cords from the lamp or the TV, or I had to charge my computer using the powerpoints behind the couch on the other side of the room; 7) there were 4 switches at the bedside but it was guesswork trying to work out what the switches operated (main room light, bedside light, air conditioning/heating, "do not disturb" light on the outside of the room).

The main advantage is its location - it's less than 10 minutes to walk to Manuka Village where there are some great shops, cafes, bars and restaurants (and petrol and a supermarket for essentials) so I didn't bother with the hotel restaurant for any food. It's also within walking distance to other tourist attractions like Parliament House and the National Gallery.

Overall I did enjoy my stay at the Rydges but I managed to get a really good internet deal for the room price - I would not have stayed here if I had to pay full price.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I travel quote a bit for business and I have simple requirements....Quite, nice room for a good sleep.
Considering that this hotel is expensive and everything is extra including carpark, breakfast etc you would at least expect good quality and service.

The room was very dated. there was a 1970's type inbuilt radio clock in the bed-head. The typical smell of an old house. The breaskfast was very average (costing extra as well) and if you wanted a proper coffee this was extra as well.

There was a party in the function room with loud music and loud voices. As I had a long day at work and just wanted to get to sleep this was not really acceptable,in addition to having to get up early to get back to the office.

The gym and pool opens at 8AM so if you need to go to work at 9AM this is out.

I watched a movie for 15.95, there was constant interferance and every 10-20 minuts or so the movie stopped and you had to wait several seconds for it to restart. In addition to this the volume did not go up very far (I guess for other guests comfort, but no worries about a party with loud noice) as mentioned earlier there was a party close by and at times the music from this and the voices drowned out my TV....Not very enjoyable.

Go somewhere else very poor value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank DrBeldholm
Gillian L, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Dear Dr Beldholm,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay with us.
I was disappointed to hear of the inconveniences that you faced during your stay, as you can see from other reviews this seems to be somewhat of an isolated case and I would like to apologise.

The hotel has commenced a upgrade which will see all of our 186 rooms refurbished with new decor and fittings.

I will have the noise comments passed onto our team to ensure that we are allocating rooms accordingly when we do have functions in the hotel.

Dr Beldholm, again I wish to apologise for the inconveniences that you faced and would like to welcome the opportunity of having you as our guest again at the hotel so we can show you that this is not the case in the hotel.
Please feel free to contact me directly on 02 6295 3144 and I will be more than happy to assist in booking you in again.

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed many times at this hotel but not my first choice. Super friendly reception staff that are extremely happy to help. Food is good but it will cost you an extra $4 per meal bought to your room that I can see no value in at all as they do not collect the plats, these are left outside your door untill the middle of the next day. Would think they would encourage guest to eat with them as they are 100m walking distance from one of Canberras best selection of fab new urban style cafes, restaurants and arty wine bars nestled amongst great boutique style shopping and designer clothing stores. Great selection of cultural cuzine and the price is good the atmosphear is even better. This is up the rd I suggest doing all 3 meals away from the hotel. Breakfast in the hotel has no substance,style or value to it Very over priced. Dinner is better value and tast good but again slug u with $4 to bring it 50 meters to your room.
Has an extremely small gym that has 2 working treadmills and a few very old run down bikes and a few weights...this is not included in the price you must pay an extra $8 to visit this gym or lack of gym. Have parking but must pay. Would never stay in this hotel if I was paying but as my work pays I do as it is close to my appointments however when I holiday in ACT this would not be my pick. I suggest a great cafe that turns into resturant at 6pm called the Pantry up the road.
In saying all of this the reception staff are great, the loyaly program gets u a free drink but not a lot more. Rooms are tired old carpet and furniture, no microwaves a little depressing but do have nice large window or batcony. Water pressure is painful as water runs boling to freezing & back again throughout your shower. Same with the ducted air that u can not adjust as is per set.
Beds very comfortable and great pillows.
Free tooth brush if u forget your own has come in handy and as I keep saying reception staff are great. Would love to see them do the rooms up and bring the gym back to being part of the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Moshias,

Thanks very much for your feedback. We are glad to hear about your experience with the reception staff at the hotel. We are sorry to hear about your thoughts on the breakfast and the tray charge for room service. The tray charge is a standard hotel practice in most hotels these days but we will definitely follow up with the food and beverage team to ensure that the product going out for breakfast is of a good standard. We understand your feedback regarding the tiredness of the gym and room furnishings and are excited to inform you that we are currently undergoing a refurbishment in the hotel which will enhance the rooms greatly. The air conditioning and shower pressure is something that we will continue to work on. We are glad that you enjoyed our Rydges ‘dream’ beds, they are very comfortable! Again thanks very much for your feedback.