“Over priced for what you pay for”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #31 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Blackburn, Australia
“Over priced for what you pay for”
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Room was okay, but for the price you pay for you still pay $12 day for parking, wifi not included. Other than that it was an average room, expected a bit more for this class of hotel.

I probably wouldn't recommended this hotel if you like classy hotels for those prices

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was in Canberra for a conference and moved to this hotel for one night before going home. The entrance was beautiful and the reception staff were helpful. I was lucky to get a carpark in the free area (but there are extremely limited spaces - there is a paid undercover parking area too). The wifi was convenient but I didn't pay for things like breakfast or room service. I didn't have time to use the pool or other facilities. The room itself was quite a large size for one person, with the space in the short passage to the bathroom filled with an extra sink and tea/coffee facilities as well as a wardrobe. The room was clean but you could see chipped paint on the doors, in the bathroom, on the TV console.

Some impractical things: 1) the distance between the toilet and the toilet paper was a big stretch (for a short person); 2) the main room light is only accessible when you get to the bed area; 3) the main room light is quite dim (so if you are sitting on the couch, you need to turn on the lamp at the desk for enough lighting in the room); 4) the thermostat for the air conditioning/heating is pre-set, so all you can select is "heat" or "cool" for the temperature; 5) I had to unplug and replug the AV cable (squished behind the heavy TV console) for the TV screen to work; 6) there are no spare powerpoint outlets at the study desk (eg. for charging my computer) - either I had to disconnect power cords from the lamp or the TV, or I had to charge my computer using the powerpoints behind the couch on the other side of the room; 7) there were 4 switches at the bedside but it was guesswork trying to work out what the switches operated (main room light, bedside light, air conditioning/heating, "do not disturb" light on the outside of the room).

The main advantage is its location - it's less than 10 minutes to walk to Manuka Village where there are some great shops, cafes, bars and restaurants (and petrol and a supermarket for essentials) so I didn't bother with the hotel restaurant for any food. It's also within walking distance to other tourist attractions like Parliament House and the National Gallery.

Overall I did enjoy my stay at the Rydges but I managed to get a really good internet deal for the room price - I would not have stayed here if I had to pay full price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I travel quote a bit for business and I have simple requirements....Quite, nice room for a good sleep.
Considering that this hotel is expensive and everything is extra including carpark, breakfast etc you would at least expect good quality and service.

The room was very dated. there was a 1970's type inbuilt radio clock in the bed-head. The typical smell of an old house. The breaskfast was very average (costing extra as well) and if you wanted a proper coffee this was extra as well.

There was a party in the function room with loud music and loud voices. As I had a long day at work and just wanted to get to sleep this was not really acceptable,in addition to having to get up early to get back to the office.

The gym and pool opens at 8AM so if you need to go to work at 9AM this is out.

I watched a movie for 15.95, there was constant interferance and every 10-20 minuts or so the movie stopped and you had to wait several seconds for it to restart. In addition to this the volume did not go up very far (I guess for other guests comfort, but no worries about a party with loud noice) as mentioned earlier there was a party close by and at times the music from this and the voices drowned out my TV....Not very enjoyable.

Go somewhere else very poor value for money.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank DrBeldholm
Gillian L, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Dr Beldholm,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay with us.
I was disappointed to hear of the inconveniences that you faced during your stay, as you can see from other reviews this seems to be somewhat of an isolated case and I would like to apologise.

The hotel has commenced a upgrade which will see all of our 186 rooms refurbished with new decor and fittings.

I will have the noise comments passed onto our team to ensure that we are allocating rooms accordingly when we do have functions in the hotel.

Dr Beldholm, again I wish to apologise for the inconveniences that you faced and would like to welcome the opportunity of having you as our guest again at the hotel so we can show you that this is not the case in the hotel.
Please feel free to contact me directly on 02 6295 3144 and I will be more than happy to assist in booking you in again.

Travelers are raving about these Canberra hotels

Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed many times at this hotel but not my first choice. Super friendly reception staff that are extremely happy to help. Food is good but it will cost you an extra $4 per meal bought to your room that I can see no value in at all as they do not collect the plats, these are left outside your door untill the middle of the next day. Would think they would encourage guest to eat with them as they are 100m walking distance from one of Canberras best selection of fab new urban style cafes, restaurants and arty wine bars nestled amongst great boutique style shopping and designer clothing stores. Great selection of cultural cuzine and the price is good the atmosphear is even better. This is up the rd I suggest doing all 3 meals away from the hotel. Breakfast in the hotel has no substance,style or value to it Very over priced. Dinner is better value and tast good but again slug u with $4 to bring it 50 meters to your room.
Has an extremely small gym that has 2 working treadmills and a few very old run down bikes and a few weights...this is not included in the price you must pay an extra $8 to visit this gym or lack of gym. Have parking but must pay. Would never stay in this hotel if I was paying but as my work pays I do as it is close to my appointments however when I holiday in ACT this would not be my pick. I suggest a great cafe that turns into resturant at 6pm called the Pantry up the road.
In saying all of this the reception staff are great, the loyaly program gets u a free drink but not a lot more. Rooms are tired old carpet and furniture, no microwaves a little depressing but do have nice large window or batcony. Water pressure is painful as water runs boling to freezing & back again throughout your shower. Same with the ducted air that u can not adjust as is per set.
Beds very comfortable and great pillows.
Free tooth brush if u forget your own has come in handy and as I keep saying reception staff are great. Would love to see them do the rooms up and bring the gym back to being part of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Moshias,

Thanks very much for your feedback. We are glad to hear about your experience with the reception staff at the hotel. We are sorry to hear about your thoughts on the breakfast and the tray charge for room service. The tray charge is a standard hotel practice in most hotels these days but we will definitely follow up with the food and beverage team to ensure that the product going out for breakfast is of a good standard. We understand your feedback regarding the tiredness of the gym and room furnishings and are excited to inform you that we are currently undergoing a refurbishment in the hotel which will enhance the rooms greatly. The air conditioning and shower pressure is something that we will continue to work on. We are glad that you enjoyed our Rydges ‘dream’ beds, they are very comfortable! Again thanks very much for your feedback.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed 1 night as we took our family from overseas for sightseeing in Canberra. The hotel is near the attractions but 5 minutes drive to restaurants and shops. The staff were pleasant to deal with. The only downside of this hotel is the room, decor and bed could be improved. The room we were originally given had faulty aircon/heater. The staff at reception was nice enough to move us to a room with working aircon/heater. Overall, good location, friendly staff and average room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gillian L, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I am very excited to pass on your feedback to our staff members.
I am also excited to announce that we will be commencing a refurbishment of all our guest rooms which will see all the decor in the rooms updated.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges Capital Hill and to our new rooms the next time you are in Canberra.

Thank you.
Cooma, Australia
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed for one night recently. Although our room faced a busy road I was pleasantly surprised that we couldn't hear traffic, which was great, although there were noisy guests returning to their rooms late at night. Rooms were clean, although quite dated. Good value for money. Great location, close to attractions.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank RuthS529
Thank you for your positive feedback in regards to your stay here at Rydges Capital Hill, I was sorry to hear about the noisy guests returning to their rooms late at night that caused a slight disturbance, I was really pleased to hear that you found the rooms quiet, clean and value for money, the hotel is in a great location only walking distance to Manuka where you can find great restaurants, cafes & bars.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Canberra.

Thanks again.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Our stay was pleasant and we found the staff helpful and courteous. We could check-in early as we had arrived on an early flight. They even happily added my daughter and granddaughter (who decided late to travel) to my room at no extra cost including the provision of a cot for my grand-daughter. Housekeeping staff were very courteous and efficient. The business centre computers, though old, worked well and the free wifi for my daughter's Ipad was fast. We had a number of coffees and snacks in the spacious atrium and were happy with the service and being able to stay there as long as we liked which was great for family get-togethers. Quite a number of our extended family stayed there for a family wedding and the staff were very welcoming and helpful. Our room was good and other family members had fabulous amounts of extra space in their rooms. We were well served with 2 Queen szed beds. We loved the location only a 5 minute walk to Manuka and the fabulous shops and restaurants (try the Saffron for dinner - it was superb!). My daughter and granddaughter used room service and their meal was tasty, hot, delivered in a timely fashion and reasonably priced. Can't comment on breakfast as we had family arrangements. Altogether it was a very happy stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind words in this positive review, it was great to hear that all our staff were very helpful and courteous to all of your needs, I was also pleased to hear that you & your family members found the rooms quite spacious, and that the room service that was ordered was of a high standard .

Again thank you for this great review and be sure to choose us next time you are in Canberra.