“A handy location”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #33 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Stayed for one night recently. Although our room faced a busy road I was pleasantly surprised that we couldn't hear traffic, which was great, although there were noisy guests returning to their rooms late at night. Rooms were clean, although quite dated. Good value for money. Great location, close to attractions.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank RuthS529
Gillian L, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback in regards to your stay here at Rydges Capital Hill, I was sorry to hear about the noisy guests returning to their rooms late at night that caused a slight disturbance, I was really pleased to hear that you found the rooms quiet, clean and value for money, the hotel is in a great location only walking distance to Manuka where you can find great restaurants, cafes & bars.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Canberra.

Thanks again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed November 8, 2012

Our stay was pleasant and we found the staff helpful and courteous. We could check-in early as we had arrived on an early flight. They even happily added my daughter and granddaughter (who decided late to travel) to my room at no extra cost including the provision of a cot for my grand-daughter. Housekeeping staff were very courteous and efficient. The business centre computers, though old, worked well and the free wifi for my daughter's Ipad was fast. We had a number of coffees and snacks in the spacious atrium and were happy with the service and being able to stay there as long as we liked which was great for family get-togethers. Quite a number of our extended family stayed there for a family wedding and the staff were very welcoming and helpful. Our room was good and other family members had fabulous amounts of extra space in their rooms. We were well served with 2 Queen szed beds. We loved the location only a 5 minute walk to Manuka and the fabulous shops and restaurants (try the Saffron for dinner - it was superb!). My daughter and granddaughter used room service and their meal was tasty, hot, delivered in a timely fashion and reasonably priced. Can't comment on breakfast as we had family arrangements. Altogether it was a very happy stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words in this positive review, it was great to hear that all our staff were very helpful and courteous to all of your needs, I was also pleased to hear that you & your family members found the rooms quite spacious, and that the room service that was ordered was of a high standard .

Again thank you for this great review and be sure to choose us next time you are in Canberra.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

This hotel needs taken in had by management as its standards have been allowed to slip given what they charge. One person on duty at breakfast, food not being replenished, tables not being cleared and when they were it was being done inefficiently. Poached eggs overlooked and not replaced. Also glass on stairs not properly cleaned. Carpet in room needed to be replaced. Otherwise fine if you have to be in Canberra but don't make a special trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback from your last stay. I would like to apologise for the breakfast service you experienced during your stay. At Rydges we pride ourselves on our customer service, and since it was not met on this occasion I would like to sincerely apologise.

I can assure you this was a one off occasion, since your stay we have launched a new breakfast concept “Rise” which i am sure will exceed your expectations on your next visit to Canberra.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 1, 2012

What funny about this hotel is i had the same complaints as all the other reviews have had. I had these complaints in 2009 and it seems nothing has been done! Its not like i thought they would. Think twice before you stay in this hotel. Have a look around you can do better than this PATHETIC hotel. Fawlty towers is 5 star compared to this dump. If you want crappy service with all the trimmings,be my guest stay here. You have been WARNED!!

Room Tip: Avoid,avoid and avoid!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank toby J
Gillian L, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Hi Toby,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. I do note that this is your 2nd review on our hotel and I am very disappointed to see that your experience and your thoughts of the hotel did not change.

Rydges Hotels & Resorts takes all of our guest feedback very seriously and we feel that this provides us with a benchmark to focus on areas of improvement. I do hope to welcome you back to Rydges Hotels & Resorts in the near future, I would like to welcome you to contact me directly should you wish to stay with us again so I am given the opportunity to provide you with the level of service that you would receive in a Rydges Hotel. My direct contact email is gillian_lettice@rydges.com should you wish to contact me further.

Toby, Thank you again for the opportunity to learn of your feedback and reviews.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

All aspects of hospitality failed. Reception staff were unapproachable in manner, the house keeping staff unorganised and careless and the internal restaurant/room servce was incompetent.

My experience

Negatives
- Dated interior design
- House cleaning: rooms not cleaned till late afternoon around 6pm. Had to call and request for cleaning service and then found my door UNLOCKED upon return. Minibar not properly refilled, had to request milk and coffee.
- Room Service: received a cold pancake stack with strawberries - no maple syrup or icecream as they menu suggested. Very dry. Upon correcting this mistake I was suprised to hear the voice on the other line ask "Does it come with maple syrup and icecream?" Yes! It's on the menu! There's only four simple things in this dish.

Positives
- Free/fast wifi
- Location: Close to Manuka/business
- Operational Jet Spa in the king suite
- Excellent comfortable king sized bed.
- Indoor heated pool

Overall: Stay for a comfortable night of deep sleep and relaxation, just don't expect great service.

Room Tip: King Suite - great bed! jet spa, balcony for smokers
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank No N
Gillian L, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you for taking time to provide us with feedback on your recent stay at Rydges Capital Hill.

I was disappointed to hear that your experience was not what you expected this time around, this is not normal practice for the hotel and I will personally follow up with each department manager of the hotel as to why the standards on this occasion were not met.

I was pleased to hear that you had a comfortable night’s sleep in our Rydges dream bed, we love them too! I would like to welcome the opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges Capital Hill on your next visit to Canberra so that we can make your stay here a much better experience.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I also had a bad experience with the room to room configuration at Rydges. On Tuesday night around 2 am I was woken by the sound of my hotel door opening. The chain on the door stopped the person from entering- however confused, the person came back about 15 seconds later and tried again. At this point- I was really scared- I didn't realise that the hotel had given a copy of my key to this guest- I just thought that I was living a nightmare.

The next day the manager phoned and apologised and today he emailed to say, that he would make sure my next stay at the hotel was more enjoyable.

On the positive side- the hotel is walking distance to the restaurants at Manaka

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't link to another- and ask that they don't cut multiple keys to yo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kaye W
Reviewed October 23, 2012

On the good side, the staff are very helpful and friendly. The hotel itself is quite spacey and comfortable. location is good, close to shops and restaurants. Rooms are clean amenities are satisfactory. good flat screen with cable TV.
The Bad, rooms which have a room-to-room door allow you to hear every bit of noise coming from your neighbours- and I mean every bit of noise!
Hotel is a little tired, but it is clean and neat.
I had a room on the busy traffic side, but still very quite.

Room Tip: Must ask for a room that does not contain a room-to-room door.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Gillian L, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Please accept my apologies for your experience with our interconnecting rooms, I was happy to hear of the rest of your stay being relaxing and enjoyable. I do hope that we will be your pick again for your next stay in Canberra.

We look forward to welcoming you back.