“right in the spot!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #32 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
thready@esc.net.au
“right in the spot!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

we were lucky enough to vist Canberra and picked this oldy but a goody.....and were upgraded to a suite.A huge room with lounge; walk in closet and a spa too; excellent friendly staff and a fabulous atrium. We were a short walk from Manuka with 31 restaurants of great quality and a range of prices and cuisines. We tried Meccah Bah(Turkish); Bambusa (Asian) and the outstanding Belluci's (Italian). You may need a loan to pay for the prices but the food and service was first grade.
There was even a picture theatre and a vibrant Public Bar.
We were a 10min walk from the parliamentary triangle which has many of the sites to visit and the rest were only short taxi drives away.
The location is in a quiet and leafy area.
So if you are visiting Canberra.....the Rydges is perfect!

Room Tip: Rooms on level 3 at the rear have no noise.
1 Thank thready
Gillian L, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Hi,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback on not only your stay with us but on Canberra it's self. It is great to hear of people enjoying the Nation's Capital. Such a beautiful time of year to visit as well.

I hope you are your choice next time you are in Canberra.

Again, THANK YOU!

Gillian - Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We came in at 16:00 (check-in time at 14:00) yet no room was ready. We were told that there were not enough staff to clean up rooms etc. That was ok no problems we said. Our mobile number was written down for contact when a room became available... 45 minute later ... no call, still too busy, not enough staff ...
We then double checked if our mobile number was still there and ... surprise, surprise they couldn't find the piece of paper with our number! Then in a second, by magic somehow check-in staff found a room available on the system just like that - a coincidence?

We booked and paid for two adults and a child though the room was only set up for two adults. Again that was ok no problems we thought. On our way out at 18:00 we requested for the extra bed/sofa/towel/pillow to be made up. Back at 21:00 and still no bed done, no towel. "Oh, someone is still doing the rounds and will get to it soon." they said.

By then I had enough and collected the pillow, towel, etc. and made the sofa bed for my son myself. I no longer wished to be disturbed. Someone actually did come up later around 22:00.

It was not a pleasant day/evening at all. Yes, staff were friendly though .... there should be enough staff especially on a long weekend.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room away from airline pilots and employees. Some may have poor sleeping habit...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Gillian L, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Hi ZonkMonk,

Thank you for taking the time out to review your recent stay with us. I would like to take this opportunity to apologies for the inconveniences during your stay, this is certainly not upto Rydges standards and please be assured that I will personally look into these matters you mentioned.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to Rydges Capital Hill in the near future for a much more enjoyable stay.

ZonkMonk, please contact me directly on 02 6295 3144 should you wish to book.

Kind Regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

booked this hotel through a special voucher deal and was very happy with the reservation staff when i made the booking. i decided later that i wanted to stay an extra night but since the promotion had ended i was able to to book the same room (at the Rydges member rate) and didn't have to worry about checking out or back in - it was already done. The hot breakfast items could have been better quality but it wasn't bad. ordered room service at 2am and the quality was really good. i did put the florist on site under some pressure to make 2 bouquets' in 20 mins (she was French, and whilst she didn't understand me 100% we were able to communicate enough for her to know what I wanted) and she was super sweet and put together 2 beautiful bouquets. the only other thing i could pick up on was that in the voucher it said a bottle of red wine, and i got a bottle of white (it's not the end of the world though)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review, great to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you wanted to book an extra night! Djiwo is our florist and she is the best in town I would say, she always delivers exceptional work to all of her clients.
My apologies regarding the wine, I hope you enjoyed your white though.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Capital Hill.

Lakes Entrance, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I am disapponted in the reviews I have read rating this property poorly. My wife and I stayed on the 4th of October, 2012. Upraded to a King spa room, OK room a little tired but clean and well presented. Staff all freindly and helpful all wanting to make the stay enjoyable. Was offered at check in to join the Rydges priority club, great value, free welcome drink, and 20 percent off meals and drinks. Had a fantastic dinner and drinks in the bar. No complaints at all with this property.

Room Tip: Ask for the King Spa room
Hi Philip,

We are so happy that you & your wife enjoyed your stay with us in October. We appreciate eveyones feedback albeit positive or negative, it is great to have a benchmark to work from.

Priority Guest Rewards is a great loyalty program best of all it's free to join! and I am so glad to hear that you joined up during your stay.
The team will look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Capital Hill on your next visit to the Nation's Capital.

Thanks again

sydney,australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

It may have lost some of the gloss of its early years but for us it suited very well. Our room was spacious and comfortable, the breakfast was great despite the bottleneck at the hot food bar, the parking is undercover and the indoor pool is big enough to cater for lap swimmers and family fun alike. The location is great , reception staff pleasant and we couldn't have asked for more.It will continue to be our preferred accommodation when visiting Canberra.

Room Tip: We had a room with a balcony which was perfect for catching the afternoon winter sun.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and share your experience with everyone! We are so glad you enjoyed our newly refurbished 'Rise' breakfast it has been so popular and we are getting great feedback about it.
Great to hear you took advantage of our pool, next time you will have to try our spa and sauna which are also free.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Capital Hill on your next visit to Canberra.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Faded grandeur it may be, but we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Rydges Capital Hill. I'm sure Bob Hawke the ex Australian Prime Minister in the 80's probably stayed in this very room, writing Prime ministerial speeches whilst basking in the spa, tin of beer in hand, and no doubt enjoying it as much as we did. " Throw me another beer Hazel".
Absolutely the most important thing about a hotel is the feeling you are left with when you leave. And with us, we felt good and had that strong feeling we had rewarded ourselves. Staff were excellent as were all services. The rooms were huge and the bed was terrific.
You could also eat at Manuka shops a short walk away. (5 minutes) The restaurants here are terrific. Quite the best place to eat in Canberra.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms and book early. Canberra gets booked out at peak times. Usually when...
Hi Steve,

I would like to say a big THANK YOU for your wonderful review on your recent stay. It is great to see our guests enjoying their stay.
I am very excited to pass this onto our team. You are absolutely right about feeling you get when staying in hotels so I am glad we could provide this for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Capital Hill soon!

Thanks again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I used to stay at the Rydges Capital Hill very regularly, but haven't stayed ther for about 3 years. This time though, my current regular Canberra hotel was booked out so I decided to use Rydges Capital Hill as a back up.

Not much has changed since I stayed there last...or indeed when I first stayed there over 10 years ago. The rooms and hotel have had new paint and carpet, and the TV's have been upgraded to larger flatscreens, but other than that, it is looking very old & tired. I mentioned this to the staff at the front desk when I checked out and they said that the hotel was about to undergo a complete refurbishment soon. The rooms are some of the biggest hotel standard rooms that I have ever stayed in, so you'll never be short on space. The bed is comfy and the shower was hot and strong. The AC is not really that adjustable for each room, but it seemed to be OK for the one night that I stayed. The room that I had on this stay faced into the internal "coutyard" and was on the ground floor. The courtyard is a public area with a bar and resturant. This was a little strange as you needed keep the curtains drawn 24/7 for privacy which mean't no natural light. I have always had a room with an external window facing out of the building at this hotel. The only other negative was that my room had an interconnecting door. I hate these types of rooms at the best of times and unfortunately this time, I had to listen to every word of every conversation that the woman in the next room was having on her phone for most of the night...and she wasn't being loud...it's just that these interconnecting rooms offer NO sound proofing at all.

Internet access was OK. The resturant and bar areas are OK, but there are so many better places close by, it's not worth staying couped up in the hotel. The hotel staff were all very helpful and friendly. This level of customer service can really make the difference between a good and a bad hotel.

There is undercover hotel parking...but they have started charging $12 a day. This seems a little steep when you consider that most hotels in Canberra offer free parking. It used to be free here previously too. A lot of people seemed to opt for the free outside parking.

The main thing I like about this hotel is the location. It's located in a nice part of Canberra close to great bars, cafes, & resturants.

All in all, this hotel offers a great Canberra location at a reasonable price. Don't expect anything upmarket from the building and rooms and you won't be disapointed... I'm actually looking forward to seeing how the refurb turns out as this could really lift the quality of the hotel if they go ahead with it. Ask for a room with an outside view and no interconnecting door.

A good hotel for most travellers (business or pleasure) who aren't wanting a lux experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside window and NO interconnecting door.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SW_Sydney
sharpstuff101, Front Office Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
What a great review. It’s not often we come across travellers who leave such detailed responses and you have really covered everything that you encountered during your stay. The hotel staff are correct in saying that we are expecting a full refurb in the coming months. The details will be finalised shortly and work to start soon as well. Again thank you for your detailed comment. I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again.

Michael Sharp