“spacious rooms .....good location...typical rydges quality”

Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
Ranked #31 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Sydney, Australia
“spacious rooms .....good location...typical rydges quality”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

helpful and cheerful staff .... Room was really spacious and beds were amazing....
Restaurant & reception staff really care about your experience and trying to make it a memorable one....I travelled with my family. it was a pleasant stay for the whole family.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
sharpstuff101, Front Office Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. This is so pleasing to read. I know all the staff work really hard to ensure all guests have an enjoyable stay but they will be pleased to read your comments. We hope to see you again for another enjoyable stay.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 16, 2012

On a road holiday and used lastminute booking. As it was a mystery booking we did not know what
to expect. Only one night would have liked to stay longer. Great room great food, steaks were perfect. Staff were ideal blend of efficiency and pleasant. This will be a hotel of choice when return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hugh K
Gillian L, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Hi Hugh,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay at Rydges Capital Hill. It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Once again, Thank you!

Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I booked a friday night and it was really value for money. The location is really a stone's throw from the Manuka area for food. It was very convenient for where we were going to attend a function.
Check in was a breeze but you do have to confirm your breakfast was included, etc. Most reception would advise you that your breakfast is included and you can have it from 6:30 to 10am at Rise cafe but here you have to know what you have paid for. There was internet but no wifi, we couldn't get on it in our room.
We did try the room service as we were very tired and it was good. $31 for salmon fish but not quite enough unless you are a small eater, so you will need some sides to add to it. The child sphagetti bolognaise was fantastic - delicious.
At check out, they try and charge you everything from breakfast to the free internet, so unless you know what you have paid for, you will end up paying for it. It was similar with the parties before me who had to remind the front desk at checkout that they had breakfast included. Otherwise, it was a pleasant stay with a huge buffet breakfast of the usual cold and hot food and a fabulous pancake maker.
One negative was the heater was very hot at low that I had to switch it off but it was between heat or air, low, med and high, so I did wake up a few times to switch the knob.
I highly recommend this hotel if you need to be around the Parliament area and you like the nicer atmosphere of manuka.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank HotspiceAustralia
Hi Hotspice Australia,

Thank you kindly for providing us with feedback on your recent stay at Rydges Capital Hill. It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope that there will be many more to come. At Rydges Capital Hill we pride ourselves on our customer service and can see that our staff are working hard to make sure that each and every guest has a great stay.

I would like to say Thank you again for your kind words and look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Capital Hill in the near future.

Queensland, Australia
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This hotel is nothing flash, however the location was good.
Have to agree with other recent reviewers that the staff at reception appeared underwhelmed (bar a couple of exceptions).
The room was comfy and clean.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank heggos
Dear Heggos,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and also provide your feedback as well. I was disappointed to hear for our underwhelmed staff so that is something that I will ensure we look at and provide some further training if required.
It would be great to welcome you back to Rydges Capital Hill in the near future so please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to book again.

Thank you again for your comments.

Lithgow
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

I picked rydges motel because it looked nice from the outside.. The rooms were plain , the bathroom floor very slippery, I took a bad fall after stepping on the wet floor. I reported it to the main desk, their response was oh that's terrible and then walked away. Milkshake $7.50 not even a cup of milk when the froth settled. Dinner in room was lovely but only warm. Breakfast in the room: first they forgot half of the meal, and coffee. Then knives. The full breakfast at $27.50 a head. And we couldn't eat it. I joined the priority club after booking through wotif.com. Even though I had my membership number I was told I couldn't get any benefits till my next stay at a rydges motel, which I doubt will be happening. We travel a lot, I would say , value for money, this was the worse motel we have ever stayed in. I would never stay there again. We booked the middle of the range room. When booking out I also told them about the meals. Nothing, they had there money and they didn't care. $270 wasted. I would advise others to look else where, there has to be better motels in Canberra.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Saddlesnboots
Dear Saddlesnboots,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I was disappointed to hear of your experience with us at Rydges Capital Hill. I can assure you that meeting and exceeding our guests expectations in all aspects is our number one focus, so please accept my sincere apologies that this was not in your case.
Please keep my details on file so that if you travel abck to Canberra in the near future you can contact me and I will ensure you are looked after. I do hope that we can welcome you back to Rydges Capital Hill soon.

Director of sales

Travelers are raving about these Canberra hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Rydges Capital Hill in Canberra in an Executive King Spa Suite. We felt we received very poor value for the $199 we paid for the room. From check-in to check-out, the staff at reception were disinterested, uninformed and unhelpful. When we arrived in our room we discovered there was only one towel, not two, and we received attitude from the man on reception when we requested an additional towel. The bathroom was poorly lit, and the spa bath was in a particularly dark and dingy corner. The walls of our room were covered in marks, scuffs and scratches, and the brown painted wood throughout the suite was very dated and in bad condition. Our afternoon was also interrupted by a fire alarm at around 6pm. We expected much more from a Rydges hotel, especially when paying $199 for an "executive" suite.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Acb2093
This is really disappointing to read. I know we all have expectations when i stay at hotels and its upsetting to see that your expectations were not met. As mentioned in previous reviews we are currently in the process of finalising our refurb which should be started in the next couple of months. The fire alarm did go off on the afternoon of your stay due to a small fire that occurred in one of the other rooms. Unfortunately this was out of our control and apologise for any inconvenience it may have caused.

Kind Regards
Sydney
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I was very impressed with the package my family obtained for this hotel. We booked a family package that included parking, breakfast, accommodation and tickets to Questacon all for less than $200 - a brilliant deal, especially if you join the Priority Guest club. We joined the club and received a 10% discount on the accommodation - which was brilliant and we also collected our Questacon tickets early so we could attend the museum during the day before check-in.
However on check-in we did not receive the expected free drink voucher as Priority Guests and there was a delay with locating our reservation. However the room was large, and comfortably furnished. We visited the pool and sauna and had a great time there.
When we went to have a shower in the room we discovered not only did we only have 2 towels to share between four guests (and we checked all possible options within the room for hidden towels), there was also a half-used soap left in the shower complete with a hair from the previous room occupant stuck to it. The air-conditioning within the room seemed to be malfunctioning slightly - as it would only heat and would then not cool the room down at all when it was too hot (despite putting it on a cool setting). This resulted in our children and ourselves struggling to sleep throughout the night.
Breakfast in the morning was brilliant, however upon check-out we were told that we needed to pay for an extra guest at breakfast as our package only included 2 adults and 2 children. We only attended breakfast with 2 adults and 2 children - so were unsure who the extra person they were referring to was. However, my husband questioned this and we were not required to pay.
Ultimately we had a great time and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank needsaholiday47
sharpstuff101, Front Office Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thanks for your feedback. I’m glad you found the Questacon package of good value and was a good day for you and the family. Sorry to hear about the half used soap in the shower, that is very unacceptable and below the Executive Housekeepers High standards of cleanliness. She was very upset when I mentioned it to her and will be keeping a closer eye on the housekeeping staff in the future. I hope we are able to welcome you and your family back to Rydges Capital Hill in the future.

Kind Regards