Rydges Capital Hill Canberra
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Realm(Canberra)(Great Value!)
$157
  • Pool
Avenue Hotel Canberra(Canberra)(Great Value!)
$139
$131
  • Restaurant
Hotel Kurrajong Canberra(Canberra)(Great Value!)
$98
  • Restaurant
Pacific Suites Canberra(Canberra)(Great Value!)
$173
$115
  • Restaurant
Pavilion on Northbourne(Canberra)(Great Value!)
$85
$151
$143
  • Bar/Lounge
1,139 results
All reviewsparliament housepriority guestfree wifibuffet breakfasttwo double bedsmanuka shopsindoor poolspa bathnational galleryhotel restaurantundercover parkingfull buffetspacious roomshort drivequestaconexhibitionaustralia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I picked rydges motel because it looked nice from the outside.. The rooms were plain , the bathroom floor very slippery, I took a bad fall after stepping on the wet floor. I reported it to the main desk, their response was oh that's terrible and then walked away. Milkshake $7.50 not even a cup of milk when the froth settled. Dinner in room was lovely but only warm. Breakfast in the room: first they forgot half of the meal, and coffee. Then knives. The full breakfast at $27.50 a head. And we couldn't eat it. I joined the priority club after booking through wotif.com. Even though I had my membership number I was told I couldn't get any benefits till my next stay at a rydges motel, which I doubt will be happening. We travel a lot, I would say , value for money, this was the worse motel we have ever stayed in. I would never stay there again. We booked the middle of the range room. When booking out I also told them about the meals. Nothing, they had there money and they didn't care. $270 wasted. I would advise others to look else where, there has to be better motels in Canberra.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saddlesnboots
Gillian L, Director of Sales at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

Dear Saddlesnboots,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I was disappointed to hear of your experience with us at Rydges Capital Hill. I can assure you that meeting and exceeding our guests expectations in all aspects is our number one focus, so please accept my sincere apologies that this was not in your case.
Please keep my details on file so that if you travel abck to Canberra in the near future you can contact me and I will ensure you are looked after. I do hope that we can welcome you back to Rydges Capital Hill soon.

Kind Regards,

Gillian
Director of sales

Reviewed August 13, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Rydges Capital Hill in Canberra in an Executive King Spa Suite. We felt we received very poor value for the $199 we paid for the room. From check-in to check-out, the staff at reception were disinterested, uninformed and unhelpful. When we arrived in our room we discovered there was only one towel, not two, and we received attitude from the man on reception when we requested an additional towel. The bathroom was poorly lit, and the spa bath was in a particularly dark and dingy corner. The walls of our room were covered in marks, scuffs and scratches, and the brown painted wood throughout the suite was very dated and in bad condition. Our afternoon was also interrupted by a fire alarm at around 6pm. We expected much more from a Rydges hotel, especially when paying $199 for an "executive" suite.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Acb2093
sharpstuff101, Front Office Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

This is really disappointing to read. I know we all have expectations when i stay at hotels and its upsetting to see that your expectations were not met. As mentioned in previous reviews we are currently in the process of finalising our refurb which should be started in the next couple of months. The fire alarm did go off on the afternoon of your stay due to a small fire that occurred in one of the other rooms. Unfortunately this was out of our control and apologise for any inconvenience it may have caused.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I was very impressed with the package my family obtained for this hotel. We booked a family package that included parking, breakfast, accommodation and tickets to Questacon all for less than $200 - a brilliant deal, especially if you join the Priority Guest club. We joined the club and received a 10% discount on the accommodation - which was brilliant and we also collected our Questacon tickets early so we could attend the museum during the day before check-in.
However on check-in we did not receive the expected free drink voucher as Priority Guests and there was a delay with locating our reservation. However the room was large, and comfortably furnished. We visited the pool and sauna and had a great time there.
When we went to have a shower in the room we discovered not only did we only have 2 towels to share between four guests (and we checked all possible options within the room for hidden towels), there was also a half-used soap left in the shower complete with a hair from the previous room occupant stuck to it. The air-conditioning within the room seemed to be malfunctioning slightly - as it would only heat and would then not cool the room down at all when it was too hot (despite putting it on a cool setting). This resulted in our children and ourselves struggling to sleep throughout the night.
Breakfast in the morning was brilliant, however upon check-out we were told that we needed to pay for an extra guest at breakfast as our package only included 2 adults and 2 children. We only attended breakfast with 2 adults and 2 children - so were unsure who the extra person they were referring to was. However, my husband questioned this and we were not required to pay.
Ultimately we had a great time and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank needsaholiday47
sharpstuff101, Front Office Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thanks for your feedback. I’m glad you found the Questacon package of good value and was a good day for you and the family. Sorry to hear about the half used soap in the shower, that is very unacceptable and below the Executive Housekeepers High standards of cleanliness. She was very upset when I mentioned it to her and will be keeping a closer eye on the housekeeping staff in the future. I hope we are able to welcome you and your family back to Rydges Capital Hill in the future.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Our greeting at reception was as expected, friendly and efficient, but no effort was made by anyone to assist my wife and I with our bags or even offer a trolley. The room was impeccable and very comfortable. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant and the quality of the meals and wine was excellent as well as the service and attention from our waiter (Carlos was fantastic), it made for an enjoyable experience. But what a disappointment at breakfast, totally in contrast to the evening experience. The waiter was nowhere to be seen and when he finally surfaced we got the look of "oh no not customers" and we then had to find a table ourselves. We finished our fruit and moved the plates to the edge of the table then had our eggs and toast and during this meal I went to the coffee pot to pour two coffees, but the pot was empty so I had to find the young man who was still hiding behind the counter and ask for the coffee to be topped up as there was no coffee left. I left our cups and saucers at the coffee pot thinking he would pour the coffee and bring it over with the usual apology for running out of coffee. But, it was not to be. He scampered out from the counter, topped up the coffee then retreated back behind the counter. In the meantime neither our table had been cleared nor the American gentleman's table (he had to show himself to a table as well). Behind me my wife pointed out a cabinet and swept under the cabinet were numerous used and unused tea bag sachets obviously lazily swept under instead of clearing off the floor properly. Our plates were all still on the table when we left. Now the rub, twenty minutes later I had to got to our car and as I passed where we sat for breakfast I noticed everything still on our table as well as the American's. I would love to see the bloke when it was busy as there were only 4 or five tables occupied at the time we had breakfast. All the keen and eager work done by the waiter at dinner was shot down the gurgler by this either poorly trained or totally incompetent young man!! Try another career path.

Room Tip: Ground floor spa suites have plenty of room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Garry_EC

That is really disappointing, to leave on such a note is absolutely disappointing and I am sorry that it ended like that. I have passed on your comments to the Food & Beverage Manager who will be addressing any issues that are pointed out in the breakfast area. We have recently implemented a new breakfast program known as "Rise". With Free range eggs, bacon, sausages, Fresh Juices and yummy pastries we believe it is one of the best valued breakfasts in Canberra. I hope we are able to welcome you back to try this out at a future stay.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

The hotel looks quite impressive on the outside and around the public areas but the room fit out is old and the furniture is in bad need of make -over. Staff are friendly but the restaurant service slow. I had breakfast with my chair facing the console full of cleaning equipment with discarded spoons and empty tea packets on the floor below. It looked untidy and unappetising and would have required 5 minutes to sort but somehow the attention to detail was lacking. Despite a great location (went for a run around the Parliament House) not a place to return to.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank TieTraveller
Michael S, Front Office Manager at Rydges Capital Hill Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. You may be pleased to know that the hotel is currently finalising the details of a full refurb to our accommodation rooms. We are hoping to have some work started over the next couple of months and finished before the end of the year. Being so close to Parliament House is great for guests travelling to see the politicians or just understand how the system works. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel on a future visit.