“Good but Basic Apartment”

Forrest Hotel And Apartments
Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed April 9, 2011

For the price I paid, the 2BR apartment suited me perfectly. The apartment is of an older style, the bath tub which acts also as the shower alcove small (but I don't take baths, so who cares?) but the bathroom itself was quite spacious.

There's more than enough room for four people (i.e. a whole family) plus 2 more if they want to sleep in the lounge room. For a larger family not wanting to spend money on meals out, the stove seems to work perfectly fine although I can't find any saucepans. I'm fairly certain if I asked for a saucepan the staff would find me one though.

The "double bed" was/is two singles pushed together. I didn't find it uncomfortable - I just found it "odd". That said I'm used to my Queen Size waterbed so any motel bed is generally "odd" to me.

So:

* for what it is, it's not expensive
* it's close to many attractions
* it's close to Manuka
* it's close to the Italo Australian club if you can't be bothered cooking but also don't want to walk to Manuka

Cons:

* it is basic - don't expect a modern appartment
* I agree, it could be housing trust, government style accomodation

That said if I had to stay in Canberra for an extended period of time I could definitely make myself feel home here.

Room Tip: Nice, functional appartment.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lloy0076
Write a ReviewReviews (1,254)

Reviewed January 26, 2011

The rooms are basic but clean and serviceable. Motel style building.

First night we had problems with noise. Got moved from ground floor to to first which was much better.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 12, 2011

The web-site paints a very different picture to the reality of this cheap nasty 'motel' disguising itself as a mid-range hotel/apartments.
We booked an executive suite on Wotif.
It was pouring with rain when we arrived. Our room was upstairs and at the other end of the building to the only set of stairs.
Very hard lugging kids and luggage in the rain up stairs and down corridors!
The room was SO different from what is shown on the web-site. It seriosly looked like a motel room from the 1980's. The small TV is on an arm above the double bed, so if the family wanted to watch TV, you'd all have to sit on the bed!
The "3rd bed" was a tiny couch in the kitchenette!
The only window in the 2-bedroom apt was facing an internal cooridor facing the cleaners' room. So, THERE WAS NO NATURAL LIGHT!
We put all our bags back in the car. As we booked on Wotif, the reception could not give us a refund, a credit or even an alternative room. The girl in the run-down reception office could not be more uninterested.
We forfeited the ridiculous $169 and found alternative accomodation.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank JAJG
Reviewed December 12, 2010

I had been to this property previously as kid growing up due to it's location and cultural reasons, although this time round I didn't realise what I was getting myself into.

I arrived into Canberra by plane and picked up a car from the airport to go to the property. Upon arrival I noticed that from the outside it looked quite tired and very "70's motel" that needed a revamp on it's appearance.

Keys are not electronic but standard keys which are just larger in shape and have 3 grooved rows - supposedly it's more secure?!

The website shows the bed head, lamp, and wall behind the bed which is quite modern and updated in appearance, although this is quite misleading. The rest of the room is actually about 15 years old in appearance and furniture looks like something you would have found at fantastic furniture around the same time as well.

The only thing was that the bathroom seemed to be have been updated recently although it was a little disappointing considering that my gym's showers are much better still as well.

I work in the travel industry and had discounted rate for the Novotel Canberra which ended up being the same as the Forrest Inn, although Forrest Inn was next door to where I needed to be.

Had I known how disappointed I would be I would have stayed at the Novotel and "suffered" the 10 minute drive out the following morning.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank AleksP1981
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Ok, so lets get the bad out of the way. The room was small, the bathroom very small and I didn't get the room I booked via Wotif. Water pressure and temperature was all over the place.

That said, the staff were very friendly. An offer was made to move me to another room with the king size bed I booked but when I was told it was just 2 singles pushed together I decided not to worry. The room was very clean, as was the bathroom. While it was a small bathroom, at least it was large enough dry off in and the shower head was high enough for my 6'2" frame to get completely under.

Good budget accommodation. With the Manuka shops just a short down the road, you could do a lot worse!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 10, 2010

i was on business in canberra, and found the forrest to be perfect for my requirments. i brought the car, but i didnt need it, since the government offices where i was working was a short 10 minute walk. the rooms were clean and comfortable with a good bed, and most importantly it was quiet, so i got a good nights sleep.

it seems to be located in a really nice part of town, lots of green from what i could see, and i enjoyed my walks to the local shopping village nearby, which to my surprise were just chock full of restaurants and cafes. great place to hang out from what i can see. all the locals seem to think so as well ,from how busy it was

i also found the wifi usefull, its not free unfortunately, but i got 1 gig for $15, which isnt too bad.

i was there during the week, and it seems to be quite a busy little place, never the less, i found the staff very friendly and helpfull

canberra seems a bit on the expensive side accommodation wise, but i was quite happy with the price i paid and what i got for it, and i would certainly stay again.

and thank you to the staff, they were fantastic

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 6, 2010

Opened the door to terribly dissappointing 'king' room. Nothing like the pictures on the website. Paper thin walls, and frustratingly, despite most rooms being empty, they lump people in adjacent rooms...so had to listen to people all night.
NOT a king sized bed...2 singles...hard, low singles.
Small shower and bathroom. Cold, tiled floors.
Location is good, walking distance to Manuka...they just shouldn't mislead on what they are...a cheap motel, at moderate hotel prices.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple