“to take up some spare time.”

Australian National Botanic Gardens
Ranked #17 of 257 things to do in Canberra
More attraction details
Owner description: The national collection of Australian native plants; inspiring, informing and connecting people with the Australian flora.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

for a national area this botanic garden leaves much to be desired, it is winter but the visit was depressing.

1  Thank Jennifer W
in 40 reviews
"cafe"
in 143 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Back again after a long time. Walking around in the cold and drizzle all rugged up. Loved the mature trees, the labelling, the understory. The range was amazing. Loved all the banksias. Book shop was great as well. Highly recommended.

Reviewed June 11, 2018

It was an interesting visit. We were fortunate to have a volunteer tour guide on hand to walk us through the floral and fauna on display. Learnt quite a bit about Australian botany.

Reviewed June 11, 2018 via mobile

I have been to many many gardens ,And somehow this is “poor one “ compared to Mayfield botanical gardens or Royal Botanical gardens or Mt Tomah Botanical Gardens .I just mentioned big names here in NSW .I do understand that this one is based on Natives plants and trees so does others ....
I don’t want to sound negative ( I didn’t see all garden) but I simply expect more in a way of setting the garden ,ponds missing and running water,fountains...
The only thing that really impress me was mist , I love this part and I enjoy it very much .

See more reviews
Reviewed June 5, 2018 via mobile

We spent over half a day here on a predominately sunny cold-ish winter day. As I say in the title, I think I’d like to visit in every season. Winter is generally devoid of colour but fantastic for walking and taking in the trails. I look forward to a spring flower visit.
The Visitor Centre staff were excellent, friendly and a great resource. My husband is a keen birder, they were very helpful in their knowledge of recent sightings.
The number of trails is good. I particularly enjoyed climbing the Black Mountain Trail. Also enjoyed the recently openedBushland Nature Walk. Scribbly gums were abundant. The rainforest walk us exceptional.
Parking was $3.60/hr or a day rate of $14 which I thought was good value as the Gardens themselves are free.