National Gallery of Australia

More Info
from $246.20
More Info
2,808 results
All reviews blue poles sculpture garden national gallery australian art james turrell pollock sydney nolan modern art audio tour permanent collection on display special exhibition great exhibition worth a visit few hours world class couple of hours
Reviewed 2 days ago

We have never been here before and really enjoyed our first visit. We were lucky to be able to visit the free American Masters Exhibition but am sure that future visiting overseas exhibitions would be well worth the admission fee.The rest of the gallery has no charge and we topped off our visit by having lunch at the inside gallery cafe which was lovely.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

There is a lot to see here but not all of it was to our liking,hence only the three stars but I understand that is my personal view.
There is some wonderful what I would call conventional art which I enjoyed very much and a lot of what I would call contemporary work which I did not like but I understand others would.
We left feeling somewhat disappointed and doubtful whether we would go again.

Reviewed 4 days ago

I love to visit a Gallery when I go to a new city don’t miss this one.
Great historical works you won’t see else where.
Blue Poles is fantastic to see, it was important as it was such a controversial purchase by the government at the time.
The Gallery is new modern and well set out. You can pick an choose where you go easily with its lay out. There are amazing sculptures in the grounds on the water side don’t miss them.
If you like all types of art you will enjoy The National Gallery of Australia.

Reviewed 5 days ago

What a great place. Enjoyed Charlies watercolours his a great artist under estimated. The American exhibition was interesting as was all things Aussie. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 6 days ago

Excellent displays and great ell from staff, parking was a bit difficult but not a huge problem, it's the sort of place you need to visit often when displays change

Reviewed 1 week ago

Visited during a flying few days in Canberra. Easy parking and a great location for a walk around the lake afterwards. All free!. Great art and nice cafe for coffee

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The NGA has a great selection of art. There are regular sections such as Indigenous, Asian, Colonial, Australian and Pop art that you can revisit and still be surprised to find new works. Explore the many staircases and ramps because the building can be a bit of a maze, with different sections seemingly hidden.

I would suggest doing a bit of research before going as they always have at least one international exhibition (often costing around $20 entry) and they are worth seeing.

There is a nice little gift shop that sells some interesting books, a restaurant on the downstairs level, and an outdoor Cafe next to the entrance.

Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a great place to check out prints of Australians. It is most pleasant and reveals facts about people you would not be aware of. Very interesting!

Reviewed 1 week ago

Fabulous facility to visit, free entry, great variety of art styles represented and visiting displays also. Excellent cafe for a break. Plan to spend plenty of time here or visit twice.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Wow.....there are some great pieces of art but compared to my last visit there was a lot of empty spaces that were in the process of being filled. Possibly the wrong timing. I would recommend this place to anyone to come and visit. There are some great pieces of art by some famous artists.