“Sydney Weekender Deal”

Mantra on Northbourne Canberra
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
“Sydney Weekender Deal”
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I had to make a trip to Canberra for a unwell relative. We only had to stay one night and were looking at somewhere which had decent accommodation and price.
On TV we seen a deal for the manta for $139.00 which included 1 night stay and free bottle of wine and chocolates in arrival. So we booked. On our way down to Canberra we were running early sink called ahead to the hotel and asked if it was possible for a earlier check-in no problems there. However $200.00 bond is pretty steep for a $139.00 per/night room. We arrived and checked in. We parked the car $12.00 per night which I believe should be included in the price of the room, just a money making scheme. We went to our room to find that we had been upgraded to a suite free of charge which was great. The room appear a little outdated with the carpet and furniture and the lunge room looks very bare. We had a small 22" TV in the middle of the room. And with the lounge positioning it was very difficult to watch tv. They might need to re-arrange the furniture. The room also included a kitchen and all it's utilities. The bed room was spacious with a walk in bathroom. The bathroom was nice and clean.
We had to call reception to ask how we get out free bottle of wine and chocolates which I believe is pretty pathetic if your advertising it to be given on arrival.
We found that the bed was firm which gave a good night sleep. All in all a alright night for a stop over. Can't compare this to the mantra in cavil in surfer paradise. They were amazing.

Positives
-Free upgrade
-Spacious room
-Bottle of wine and chocolates (even tho we had to ask for them)
-Friendly staff at reception

Negatives
-Bad room layout
-Out dated room
-Our bed didn't have a quilt cover just the quilt which I find horrible
-You have to pay for wifi
-$12.00 per day for parking
-$200.00 bond for room
-Loud air conditioning

Might try the Hyatt next time

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter H
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Peter H,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us.
I appreciate your comments regarding the quality of the rooms and facilities. I am sorry that you were not happy with the location of the TV in the room; all of our TV's are a 40 inches so I am surprised about the feedback regarding this. We will look at an alternative position for this particular room.
I am sorry to hear that the inclusions of the Sydney Weekender deal were not brought up to your room upon or prior to your arrival. I will ensure this feedback is passed onto the relevant Department to ensure this does not happen again.
I am glad that the room and bathroom facilities were clean; we will be continuing to ensure our hotel is clean and comfortable with a scheduled refurbishment in the near future.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne.

Mantra on Northbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I booked a one bedroom apartment and it was a little dated but very clean and well set out. I couldn't get the door to my room to open as the lock was jammed and they had a serviceman there within 5 minutes to fix it so very prompt action on their part. The location was great, easy walk into the city and close to so many things. Room service was good quality. The only downside was you could not book a car space. It was $12 a night for parking but at a first in, first served basis.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sandy B
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Sandy B,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that the cleanliness of the facilities were to your liking, and the location suited your needs.
I'm sorry to hear that there were problems with gaining access to your room, but it's great to hear that this was rectified so promptly!
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

Orange
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I had read the reviews on this site, most were good, however one stood out, a persons stay in September this year.

I gave the Mantra the benefit of the doubt - big mistake.

I had booked online through their website. The email conformation and the receptionists requests on arrival contradicted, and I was very displeased with the service.

Once the ID and authorisation was sorted we checked into what was a very unattractive room. There was what looked like a water mark stain on the carpet, discolouring it.

There was some sort of body fluid on a cushion that was on the bed, this I feel is quite appalling on behalf of the Mantra cleaning staff. The bed had been freshly made then to put a dirty pillow on it, I find quite disgusting.

The room was on the second floor, and was a very noisy room. A lovely wake up call at 7 am Sunday morning, the sound of a garbage truck destroyed any chance of a sleep in.

I always thought Mantra was a nice place to stay at until this poor experience.

I have stayed at other locations in Canberra, these places were much better value for money, had nicer rooms, better in room amenities and friendlier staff.

I will not be staying at any Mantra In the near future and I will not be recommending this to others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jade O
Dear Jade O,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Mantra on Northbourne.
I am disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the standard of the room that you were allocated. I am sorry to read that the carpet was stained; we schedule carpet cleaning for all rooms on a regular basis, so I will ensure that this is brought to the attention of our Housekeeping Team.

You have mentioned delays with regards to the procedures upon arrival, and the manner in which you were treated by the Team here. I am sorry if this was not dealt with correctly, and please find my details below. I invite you to contact me directly to discuss in more detail and then I can further address these issues.

andrew.lockie@mantra.com.au
Ph: 02 6243 2508
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2013

My friend and I wanted to see the Floriade so planned a trip to Canberra. I picked the Mantra on Northbourne as it was close to the free shuttle bus. It was an excellent choice, as it is also easy walking distance to some excellent restaurants and the free circle city sights bus. No need for a car.
The hotel was clean and all the staff so friendly and helpful that I was prompted to write this review. We had the full buffet breakfast on the Sunday and were impressed with the variety of food available for a relatively small hotel.
I would definitely stay here again for value for money, friendly service and ease of getting around...close to the airport too.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Julia2011_1,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that the rooms and cleanliness of the facilities were to your liking, and that the location suited your needs.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Apart from a couple of minor issues with the room which didn't bother me too much (noisy plumbing and aircon not working) the rooms themselves are nice.

My only issue is the time it takes to get the $100 pre-authorisation amount back into my account. It is now close to a full week since checking out and am still waiting on the refund to occur. I have enquired and was told that this is a banking processing issue not a delay on behalf of the hotel. Easy enough explanation, however this is the only property I have stayed at that a) has an authorisation amount so high and b) that takes this long to refund.

In a digital age like ours the longest it should take to refund this type of transaction is 24-48 hours.

This will be a consideration when I choose a hotel in Canberra as there are many others that do not impact me this way.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Sally P, Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Elliott1973,

We appreciate your review of Mantra on Northbourne and thank you for your comments. Whilst you rated the service that we provided and the location well, there were areas that we could improve on. I can assure you that we will be taking these comments into consideration.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights with my elderly mother. Staff were helpful and found us a room close to lifts as requested. Rooms were ok - not terrible, not great, just ok. Bathroom small but clean. As long as you don't pay too much it's a good choice - we had a twin room for $139 per night and thought that was reasonable value for Canberra city centre.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear alison251,

Thank you for the review of your experience at Mantra on Northbourne, we appreciate your comments, particularly about the service provided about our team. We do hope to welcome you to Canberra again in the future.

Kind regards

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I was in Canberra for one night on business last month and had the choive between Matra or Novatel. I chose Mantra becuase of the larger size rooms. Unfortunately the Mantra is tired and overdue for an update. While the room was spacious and clean, the bathroom was old and I expected more based on the room rate. Bed was firm so I get a reasonable nights sleep. Great for a short stay if you only want a clean, warm room with comfortable bed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jon1164,

Thank you for your review of Mantra on Northbourne, we certainly appreciate your feedback and are taking your comments into consideration. We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Kind regards