I was only here one night but it was nice enough. Definitely a lot of space in my apartment so if I had to stay for any length of time it would be quite bearable. There was even a desk/work space in the bedroom and I was quite surprised to see that there was a laundry tub in the bathroom (along with the washer and dryer) - normally you would get a washer and dryer but they are crammed into tiny space behind the door. It's a small thing - but important I would think for long stay. The bathroom was quite nice and large and very clean. The kitchen looked to be reasonable size too, I didn't check cupboards to see what sort of crockery/pans etc were available as I was only there the one night.
Downsides - the bed was hard, way too hard for me anyway, so if I were to stay for any length of time this would be an issue. Also I was right opposite the lift and this was definitely an issue trying to sleep while people stood and talked right outside my door (please people - think of others when you are in hotels). There was no TV in the bedroom - bit of a surprise as there normally is. I would have loved to have lain on the bed and relaxed after a hard day and watched some tv. I was also bothered a bit by the noise from traffic on Northbourne and there were some awful generator thing cutting in and out all night so all in all I hardly slept and felt like absolute hell the next morning (which was why ended up down at breakfast so early). I was also not keen on the red carpet - ouch on the eyes lol
The apartment was clean and airy and I don't really have any complaints (other than the bed which a lot of people probably wouldn't worry about).
I think the staff were just the best thing about the place though. Extremely polite and helpful both on front desk and in the dining room and bar. I went down to breakfast way too early but the young girl there couldn't do enough to help me and allowed me to get settled into a corner near a power point so that I could plug my laptop in and work while I had breakfast
Speaking of the breakfast - it was pretty ho hum - run of the mill stuff and not very hot considering I was their first customer of the day - do they put the stuff out the night before? I also have to say I have never seen spaghetti offered for breakfast, where's the baked beans??? I ordered a cheese & mushroom omelette but unfortunately they put ham in it!!! And the thing that really got up my nose about breakfast is that, if you want coffee, you have to pay an extra $3.50 for it. I thought that was outrageous when you are already paying a small fortune for breakfast. I also didn't like that the bread for toast/pastries etc was quite a way from the buffet bar, around the corner in fact and I didn't see all that until it was too late.
Anyway, all in all, my brief impression of the place is that it was ok. You do have to pay for parking but that is quite standard in any CBD area. I believe the rates were pretty reasonable for what you get and it was definitely spacious and well appointed and clean.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mantra on Northbourne is centrally located on the north side of Canberra's CBD offers Hotel Rooms, One or Two Bedroom Apartments, all fully-equipped with air-conditioning, kitchenette, bathroom, laundry facilities, wireless internet, cable TV, in-house movies, sound system with CD player, mini bar, kitchen and laundry facilities (apartments), lounge and dining area, tea and coffee making facilities, large private balcony, ironing facilities and voicemail message service. The hotel services including 24-hour reception, in-room internet access, express checkout and internet kiosk. Guests facilities include a heated indoor swimming pool, sauna and fully-equipped gymnasium. Stock Kitchen & Bar is a fully licensed restaurant and bar, located onsite. Offering an a la carte menu, the perfect venue to enjoy a quiet meal or catch up with colleagues or friends over a casual drink The hotel boasts conference facilities for up to 150 delegates with four conference rooms available for hire. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mantra on Northbourne Canberra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra On Northbourne Canberra Hotel Canberra
- Mantra On Northbourne Hotel Canberra
- Canberra Mantra On Northbourne