“Spacious enough”

Mantra on Northbourne Canberra
Ranked #18 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was only here one night but it was nice enough. Definitely a lot of space in my apartment so if I had to stay for any length of time it would be quite bearable. There was even a desk/work space in the bedroom and I was quite surprised to see that there was a laundry tub in the bathroom (along with the washer and dryer) - normally you would get a washer and dryer but they are crammed into tiny space behind the door. It's a small thing - but important I would think for long stay. The bathroom was quite nice and large and very clean. The kitchen looked to be reasonable size too, I didn't check cupboards to see what sort of crockery/pans etc were available as I was only there the one night.

Downsides - the bed was hard, way too hard for me anyway, so if I were to stay for any length of time this would be an issue. Also I was right opposite the lift and this was definitely an issue trying to sleep while people stood and talked right outside my door (please people - think of others when you are in hotels). There was no TV in the bedroom - bit of a surprise as there normally is. I would have loved to have lain on the bed and relaxed after a hard day and watched some tv. I was also bothered a bit by the noise from traffic on Northbourne and there were some awful generator thing cutting in and out all night so all in all I hardly slept and felt like absolute hell the next morning (which was why ended up down at breakfast so early). I was also not keen on the red carpet - ouch on the eyes lol

The apartment was clean and airy and I don't really have any complaints (other than the bed which a lot of people probably wouldn't worry about).

I think the staff were just the best thing about the place though. Extremely polite and helpful both on front desk and in the dining room and bar. I went down to breakfast way too early but the young girl there couldn't do enough to help me and allowed me to get settled into a corner near a power point so that I could plug my laptop in and work while I had breakfast

Speaking of the breakfast - it was pretty ho hum - run of the mill stuff and not very hot considering I was their first customer of the day - do they put the stuff out the night before? I also have to say I have never seen spaghetti offered for breakfast, where's the baked beans??? I ordered a cheese & mushroom omelette but unfortunately they put ham in it!!! And the thing that really got up my nose about breakfast is that, if you want coffee, you have to pay an extra $3.50 for it. I thought that was outrageous when you are already paying a small fortune for breakfast. I also didn't like that the bread for toast/pastries etc was quite a way from the buffet bar, around the corner in fact and I didn't see all that until it was too late.

Anyway, all in all, my brief impression of the place is that it was ok. You do have to pay for parking but that is quite standard in any CBD area. I believe the rates were pretty reasonable for what you get and it was definitely spacious and well appointed and clean.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear BrisCaz,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on yourrecent stay here at Mantra on Northbourne.
I am glad to hear that the Team here provided such wonderful service and you enjoyed your time with us.
I am sorry that the beds were not to your liking on this occasions. We do have Hotel style rooms with a King bed which may suit better especially if just staying a short while, as there is a TV near the bed, which may be more relaxing for you.
I appreciate your feedback about our breakfast offering; we do mix the offering at breakfast, sometime with baked beans, spaghetti etc.. however I will inform the Chef of your feedback.
We look forward to welcoming you back when next travelling to Canberra.

Mantra on Northbourne

Write a ReviewReviews (1,608)

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The single appartment I had while I was at a conference in Canberra was really spacious, well thought out and very comfortable. Plenty of amenities and very clean. The service and support were invisible but certainly there. The help I had was useful, pleasant and polite. The staff were competent and friendly. The CBD is just around the corner and a very easy walk. There are also place to eat in hte street behind the hotel if you arrive late and just want to eat. It is safe and secure. There is a bus stop outside the appatments and one farther up the road, but not farfor other buses. It is well located, reasonably priced and cost me about 20 dollars from the airport to get there. One of the nicest appartments I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Ensure there is access to fresh air. I had a little balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear Sally07Adelaide,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your Canberra experience.
I am pleased to hear that the hotel and facilities were to your liking, and that the Team here provided great service during your time with us.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back to Mantra on Northbourne again soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hotel was everything that we expected. We had a 1 bedroom apartment that was perfect for traveling with the kids. It was clean & modern and the service was fantastic. A great location close to all of the restaurants and the city centre.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TottyTraveler
Sally P, Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Kodabel,

Many thanks for your review. It is very pleasing to hear that Mantra on Northbourne was perfect for your needs and also in regards to the service you experienced. I can assure you that I have passed these comments onto the team.

We do look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Kidn regards

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Overall we really enjoyed our stay at the Mantra - it was well located (definitely close to a key area for restaurants and cafes which was great!), had car parking facilities, a brilliant gym, good sized rooms, helpful and friendly staff.
Our only two small issues were the king size mattress which was a bit hard for our liking (I notice other reviewers have said that the double beds were more comfortable so may be worth asking for one of those), and the swimming pool which was a bit small (although we really weren't going for the pool so this wasn't a problem really.
We would definitely recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mayapia
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear mayapia,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us.
I am pleased to hear that the staff were friendly and the facilities were to your liking. Ippreciate your comments regarding the quality of the king beds.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were visiting family over Christmas and New Year and needed a two bedroom apartment with kitchen and hotel facilities. This was the best available from what we could see on-line. It is not a real two bedroom rather a one bedroom with an adjoining room and a common door. It was okay but it was not really a two bedroom. The hotel is between one extremely busy road and another busy road so there is a lot of road noise. For some reason the rubbish truck arrives every morning before 7am and makes a tremendous racket. Other than that everything else was okay but not great.

Room Tip: They are all exposed to the road noise but it worse towards the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cookieabroad
Sally P, Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Many thanks for your comments in regards to your experience at Mantra on Northbourne earlier in the year. We appreciate feedback, both positive and constructive in order to maintain and improve our product and services.

I can confirm that we have rectified the issues with the timing of the rubbish removal, as it is certainly not a practical time for rubbish removal prior to 9am - particularly on weekends and school holiday periods.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope we have the opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Am a fairly frequent traveller to Canberra and have tried almost all hotels at some stage over the years. This place is well located, clean, and for Canberra represents reasonable value.
Service is always friendly and professional, only downsides are:
a fairly ordinary breakfast, but there are plenty of options elsewhere; and
Exorbitant wifi, which is typical of Canberra hotels (I take my own prepaid).
Rooms are a good size, and well equipped. Beats the pants off of Rydges Lakeside, which is ghastly and service appalling.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Kev T

Many thanks for your review and positve comments about Mantra on Northbourne. It is very pleasing to hear that the hotel is suitable for your needs and poses good value for money. We do apologise in regards to the average breakfast and internet, we can assure you that we are working in these areas with our Chef and internet supplier to improve our breakfast product and pricing options that we can offer to our guests.

Thank you again and we do look forward to welcoming you to Canberra again soon.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Have come to expect a lot from Mantra but this was disappointing. Location is not bad but room at back of hotel was noisy. Lot of outside noise late into night and walls were paper thin, could hear neighbours TV shows more clearly than my own. Room very cold but wall heater so noisy couldn't hear TV so had to shiver. Room service was cold by time it arrived and nothing special given price. Decor dated. Breakfast is ok but paid for espresso coffee (offered) both mornings. Once was lukewarm and second time never arrived. Overall pretty average and much better value down road at Clifton Suites where I normally stay.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank David B
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear David B,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Mantra on Northbourne.
I am disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the standard of the room that you were allocated, and that the facilities were not up to scratch.
Furthermore, I am sorry that the service received was not of an acceptable standard, along with our room service offerings. Our Head Chef has addressed this with his Team Members.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.