“Overpriced, dated. Good location.”

Mantra on Northbourne Canberra
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Adelaide, Australia
“Overpriced, dated. Good location.”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

Compared to other Mantras this is dated and not up to par. The smoke alarm went off three times over the two nights. We could hear people in the street throughout the night. On check out we were charged $24 for our car. My husband was told this was included. I am in the travel industry and stay in many hotels.

• Stayed October 2011
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay.
I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with certain aspects of your stay.
The Mantra on Northbourne has recently had a full refurbishment of the public areas, hallways and pool area; we have also repainted the rooms and bathrooms, and re-freshed our bedding in all rooms.
I am sorry to hear that the apartments were not up to your expectations of Mantra Hotels, however we are continuing to make upgrades on a regular basis.
Are you able to advise who you booked through, or the Team member spoken to regarding the parking charges being complimentary? I would be more than happy to have these charges refunded. Generally our parking charge is $12.00 per in for underground secured parking, however on occasions we do have packages that include the parking charges.
I do apologise if we have made an error here.
Thanks again for your feedback and I do hope you can stay with in the future.

andrew.lockie@mantra.com.au

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2011

We stayed here during Floraide Nightfest for two night. It was very comfortable stay. Food at Zipp restaurant was excellent. Apartment is centrally located with a McDonald , Indian restaurant Bollywood Extension and Crust Pizza outlet very closeby. The main food street and Canberra Main Shopping centre about a block and a half away. One night we took a quick walk to Bollywood Extension for dinner just behind the hotel.

There's undercover secure parking in the building, but its an additional $12 per night parking charge.

Looking forward to my next visit soon.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

leeton
Reviewed October 10, 2011

spent two nights while we visited Canberra to see Floriade. The (unpleasant) surprises began at the desk (NB NO criticism of the staff!). Poor naiive me, asked for the internet code at the desk only to be told that it was NOT free wifi - you're joking, at these rates! A little miffed, we left the lobby and hopped in the car to go to the undergound carpark. Next hit - sign saying $12/day to park. Again, naiively assuming this referred to visitors, rather than guests I reversed to the lobby and went again to the desk to see whether this fee applied to their own guests - it does! Give me a break! Up to the room to use settle in and, after a long day driving and sightseeing felt like a cup of tea and a biscuit - only no biscuits - at all! Given that their 'normal' rates are over $300 per night does this seem stingy to your? Check out the internet rates to use Skype to call daughter overseas - not only do they charge $25 per day (with a TINY download limit), the speed in insufficient to support Skype voice call. All this might give you a headache - in which case take your own panadol, the mini-bar includes these at $3 for 2 tablets.

I'm sorry guys, but the overall impression we were left with was 'opportunism' - if it isn't ABSOLUTELY stated, then you pay - dearly!! Only two weekends before we stayed in Wagga Wagga for the Jazz and Blues festival at a small family run establishment and, hey, free wifi, free parking, nice biscuits and decent coffee and tea, FRESH milk (not UHT) and all this for about one-third the price.

I detailed my concerns (there were others, including the broken furniture, no sink or bath plugs) in a letter to the management and did not and have not since had a reply. I even made suggestions about their wifi that would have saved them money! When we did check out they did offer to waive the parking fee but that was not the point - the problem was that it shouldn't be charged in the first place, to anybody. This place advertises itself as a premier holiday venue - well I'm sorry, it's not! Overseas guests will be taken aback by their parsimonious pricing policy and leave with the impression that Australian hotels are simply out to extract every last dollar from their guests. For the addition of about one or two dollars per guest/night all these petty fees could be abolished and these faciliteis be provided as a service, what a different impression that would leave.

Oh, Canberra is a great place to visit and has some fantastic eateries, we could easily have spent more time there, just not at the Mantra on Northbourne.

Room Tip: don't get room 319 - the plumbing from other rooms is so loud you think they are in there with y...
3 Thank stephen h
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay at the Mantra on Northbourne,
I am sorry you were disappointed with some aspects relating to the service charges at the hotel.
I understand that some hotels do charge for internet service and some do not charge for this service.
I apologise for the disappointment that this has caused.

ballina, nsw
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Stayed with a sporting team for 2 weeks. 4 of us shared a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment. enough room for everyone but limited space for hanging or storing clothes, was worse in 1 bedroom apartments. furniture had seen better days, holes in lounge covers & leg about to fall off table. shower in bath with no anti slip mat.
agree with others about meals in restaurant & $12 parking. bathrooms & kitchen floors swept but not mopped. most front desk were very good but others seemed to want to be some place else.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank wiskey
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us,
Although I'm pleased to hear that the location of the hotel was to your liking, I'm disappointed to find out of the inconsistencies expereinced during your extended time with us.
I have provided my direct contact details below; if you could provide which room you stayed in, I would like to take the time to inspect and rectify the shortfalls relating to the quality of the furniture.
We have completed an upgrade of the rooms and puiblic areas over the past year, hence my concern that we have not maintained the quality with this particular room.
Thank you again for taking the time to bring this issues to our attention.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2011

This was below par service for a Mantra hotel. The room was ok but the waiting, overcharging room fees and also charging for their mistakes made this an unpleasant experience for me.

-Having to wait an additional 2 hours for my room to be ready
-Using the dry cleaning service only to find they didnt return my clothes by the advertised time, which meant I had to continue my trip with no clean underwear.
-Receiving the underwear in the post 4 weeks later AND being charged $14 COD for the hotels mistake
-Being charged an additional $185 for accommodation for someone else I'd never heard of.

After contacting them and asking for a refund, and so send my clothes they did nothing the first time. The second they sent my clothes (COD) and still no refund.

Just made the third phone call to resolve this and they said they would again look into it, here's hoping....

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank LoanRider
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, October 9, 2011
Thank you for providing feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
Please accept my sincere aoplogies for the frustrations experienced during, and after your stay with us.
Please contact me at your convenience directly via the below details to discuss in more detail, so I can ensure that the billing issues have been rectified.
Furthermore, I would liek to address these shortcomings with the staff members involved for training to be implemented immediately.

Yours sincerley,

Sydney NSW
Reviewed September 25, 2011

My husband and I spent the week-end here. The room was clean and spacious. The bathroom had lovely smelling soap and mini shampoos etc. Bed was king size, but pillows were too flat and I ended up sleeping on the soft bed cushion. Parking was $12 per night, but was full one night so we had to park outside some shops - luckily, because it was a week-end, we didn't have to put money in the parking meters. Hotel restaurant meals were expensive and really not up to scratch and polite as the waitress was, she didn't understand English very much - I asked for a diet Coke, and she brought me a flat one, so I asked for another one, and she didn't undrestand, saying they don't have any! I was tired, so couldn't be bothered trying to explain any more! On the whole, it was just an ordinary hotel, which didn't warrant the amount we paid for.

1 Thank margw5
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am sorry to hear that the product and services during your time with us were inconsistent. I have brought the issues you have raised to the attention of the relevant department managers for follow up.
With regards to the pillows, I am sorry that these were not up to scratch. We will ensure to have our housekeeping team check the rooms to make sure these are up to our standard.
I was please to see that the room size and cleanliness were postive aspects of your stay.
I do hope we can welcome you back in the future and ensure a more pleasant experience.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I was not impressed compared to all other Mantra's i have stayed in, this one comes last...

To start off , we were the only one's in the resturant and now we know why, by the price you charged for your meals and little food on the plate.

The rooms were quite large but noisy and the balcony look liked it hadnt be cleaned in months, it was dirty and and i had dust all over my pants from the seats.
The beds were to hard and the pillows were so hard that i eneded up sleeping without them as it caused me a stiff neck.
Then Breakfast , we had to ask for eggs? Who doesnt have eggs out on a buffet breakfast, staff didnt seem to have a clue on what was going on. Then on checkout we were not even asked how our stay was.
I must say compared to all Mantra's i have stayed in this was the worst and really needs to lift the game. I will not be back...

2 Thank renee l
Thank you for your taking the time to comment on your rescent stay with us at Mantra on Northbourne.
I was disappointed to see that your stay with us was not an enjoyable experience. It seems that some basic areas of service were overlooked, and for this I sincerely apologise.
I have had another recent comment relating to uncomfortable pillows, and some mentioning the opposite; so I have ensured the our Housekeeping Manager has been made aware of this and a full audit of our rooms done to ensure these are of an acceptable quality.
With regards to the issues at breakfast, this is not acceptable and I have addressed this with the Team Member involved.
Once again please accept my apologies for these oversights, and I do hope that you can stay with us once again when travelling to Canberra.

I