“Really good, solid hotel - very comfy bed!”

Mantra on Northbourne Canberra
Ranked #18 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The Mantra on Northbourne in Canberra is a good solid hotel. Everything was very clean, the lifts are quick, the staff are discreet and friendly and the bed was really comfortable. The shower had plenty of pressure and very hot water and papers were available at no cost in reception too.

All the fittings in the room worked well and I can honestly say that I had no issues at all during my three night stay. The TV in the room was a nice big flatscreen - and about the only criticism I can say I had was that the number of channels programmed into the TV was a bit limited (I couldn't get 'One' - so I missed 'Sons of Anarchy' on Wed night - but hey - if that's the only complaint then that's not too bad.

The Mantra is fairly close to shops and restuarants in Civic. There is a McDonalds about 100m away.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us here at Mantra on Northbourne. We are very happy we were able to assist in providing you with a great stay with us, and a comfortable bed!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

andrew.lockie@mantra.com.au

Write a ReviewReviews (1,608)

Reviewed August 24, 2011

Stayed with family for three nights over a weekend and regretted it. We had a one bedroom with queen bed and fold out couch for 2 adults and 2 children. Air conditioning in both rooms did not work. Reception did not answer calls. Reception was understaffed. No follow up on my request to fix air con or change rooms. Requested extra blankets (no air con) took 1 hour to arrive. "Heated" Pool not heated. Woken to garbage trucks. Dingy. Rubbish.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank ahsurefeckit

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I regret the shortcomings in service and quality you have reported, and apologise for the disappointment as a result.
These are areas of concern that can be rectified, and I invite you to contact me directly to discuss in more details at your convenience.
I look forward to hearing from you.

andrew.lockie@mantra.com.au or 02 6243 2508

Reviewed August 4, 2011

The place is noisy - so close to other buildings and they have beds that are hard up against windows, which brilliantly hang over the pillow and allow light in so you can't sleep properly.
The 'first-in-first-served' car parking that costs you $12 for the pleasure is also a gem.
Serves a purpose but there are many better places to stay - a shame given the hotel name.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which is away from the main road.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank timonarope

Thank you for taking the time to provide feddback on your recent stay. i am sorry that you you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay.
I appreciate your feedback regarding the curtains hanging over the beds, thus letting some light in. I understand that only 4 of our One Bedroom Apartments have the window over the bed, but had not realised this was the cause of some discomfort.
I have duly brought this to the attention of our Maintenance Department and I am confident of rectifying this.
I would like to invite you to contact be directly to discuss any further issues accordingly, and do hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

We had three people staying in a one bedroom unit. Unfortunately there was no entry to the bathroom from the living area so the third person had to go through the bedroom to get to the bathroom during the night.
It cost $12 a night for parking, but by the time we got back to the hotel at 9.30pm there were no spots left and we had to park out on the street behind the hotel. Fortunately we didn't have to pay the fee.
The view out of our 5th floor room was the black wall of the building next door... it was ugly.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Ally1066

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on ypur stay back in July, and please excuse my belated reply.
Please accpet my apologies that ceretain aspects of your stay were not up to your usual expectations of Mantra Hotels.
Our rooms do have certain aspects without views, and I am sorry that the view experienced was not satisfactory. furthermore, all of our One Bedroom Suites have the bathroom in the bedroom area, however if in the future you are travelling with 3 or more people, there is an option for a 2 Bedroom Apartment that has 2 bathroms, which may be more suitable.
Upon your next visit to Canberra, and if you wish to stay with us, please do not hesitate in contacting me directly.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Mantra on Northbourne soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed here to visit our son who was working in Canberra. We took a one bedroom suite so we could utilise the fold out sofa bed for a family member travelling with us.
The problems began when we requested extra pillows to use on the sofa bed. There were none available we were told because they were busy.
The problems continued when we were told there was a $12 charge for overnight parking with unlimited entries and exits. The problem was when we came back from a trip out for dinner the car park was full and we had to park on the street.
The next morning we used the hotel restaurant for breakfast and dutifully paid on entry to the dining room. After we visited the buffet we enquired about bacon to be told they had run out. Also plates cutlery etc were in short supply.
It seems this hotel did not cater for the number of guests it had booked. An altogether frustrating visit to Canberra.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Heron2

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay back in July.
Please accept my apologies for not responding earlier, and furthermore for the inconsistent service provided during your stay with us.
From your feedback, it looks as if we have failed in some fundamental areas of service, and for this I sincerely apologise.
These inconsistencies have been addressed by each Department Manager. This experience is not indicative of the service we aim to provide here at the Mantra on Northbourne.
I invite you to contact me directly if you wish to discuss these issues in further detail, and if I can be of any further assistance.
I do hope that you can stay with us when next coming to Canberra so we can extend a more enjoyable stay for you.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

Booked the hotel through Wotif.com and got a great price. Paid secure parking was great. Room was large and had loads of space. Will book again next time in Canberra. A++

• Stayed: May 2011
andrewlockie, General Manager at Mantra on Northbourne Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your past stay here at Mantra on Northbourne.
Please excuse this (very) belated reply however we are glad that you enjoyed your previous stay and hope that you have been able to join us since!
We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

One bedroom was ok for size, but it was a bit dirty in the bathroom. Got hassled for payment at breakfast - twice. We prepaid for room and breakfast, but I was made to feel like I was stealing from them.

Pool was a bit dodgy. It's hidden away like in a dungeon and you access it via firestairs.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family