“Re-branded”
Review of QT Canberra

QT Canberra
Ranked #16 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Looks like Rydges Canberra has re-branded as QT Canberra. Still part of the same group but a bit more up-market and trendy. Not sure if they pulled it off. The rooms are fresh with some quirky decore, but at the end of the day it is stil a fairly basic hotel room. The staff are friendly and efficient and have that sense of exuberance. It is still a nice place to stay with a convenient location - so long as they don't begin to charge more for the "QT" experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Rogre

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Here for 5 nights with a conference group. Dinner in house tonight was interesting. Food was set menu alternate plate main steak or fish. Was ok but the wine supplied was horrid. Red and white wine was worse than 3.99 special from Dan Murphy's Inspecting the wine list found average SA Coonawarra or Barossa Shiraz priced at $85 plus. Worst wine list and most expensive I have found in Australia for what it was. If you like good Australian red wine this place will disappoint. Staff were friendly and helpful but excused e pricing by saying 'this is Canberra'. And their point is?

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Bruce W
Monfrique, Guest Relations Manager at QT Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Hi Bruce W,

We're happy to hear you found our staff friendly and helpful. I have made note of your comments about the wine on our set menu and will pass these on. We hope to see you again!

Monique
QT Canberra

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Quirky decor and an interesting atmosphere. Friendly service by staff and ease of checking in. Great food and timely. Good central location to getting around the city, and a great view looking out from my room. Great walking tracks nearby.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 15, 2014

There's no hiding the outdated outward view of the hotel, the best prospect of finding the hotel is that it's one of few uprising from the outskirts of London Circuit.

They've done a great job in reviving this venue. Whilst it's not a modern nor picturesque view driving up to it, upon arrival it's quite a marvel. Once entering, the beautiful girls at the minimal desks are swift and effective. I parked my car underground (which is it's first indication of refurbishment of a hotel not quite reaching all bounds of the premises) and I go to my room. It's nice, it's funky, the lift to get there is also funky, but you can't disguise it's a tiny room and it's franchised within a breath of it's life.

The struggle for me was once I was settled by how funky the room was, were three things; firstly, the vain placard of a room menu of how much inanimate items in the room would cost you; as though you may take them home, but absurdly should you want to take them home. It seemed a safeguard in hotel loss prevention management in not wanting to take away the Nespresso unit (whilst a great addition, it was perched upon a sideboard like a monument). The second being the air conditioning. I give the hotel this much, many reviewers before me have complained about the noise but I can't attest to that at all, but you must admit, in June, the air in Canberra is pretty bloody cold and the up-high vent warmed the room's ceiling well but not me. The doona on the bed is feather-light (a win in summer) but not whilst I slept. I tossed and turned all night whilst wondering why on earth I did. Finally the wonder board of amenities which included board games, tricks and trivia which were all on sale whilst all in the confines of your room. There was 'pick up sticks', an amenity kit... all of these I did actually marvel at, and then marvelled further as to who would purchase them.

The political slant of coasters, menu facings and jotting pads were a nice touch, however in terms of location I'm guessing nothing in Canberra positions themselves well.

The savour, was the ground floor and the food. I didn't do the speakeasy, I'm probably not cool enough for that, but the breakfast should you get it included or pay, is a master or breakfasts. The staff were awesome, the space beautiful and even the little jars of juice made me want to drink like someone gone miles in the desert.

You won't get exclusive frequent flyer points or custom welcoming here, it's nice. Just nice. They've managed to hook onto a trend and roll with it. I fear most of their custom are Mon-Fri in-and-outers but do the basics well. I wouldn't base your romantic endeavours here, but i'd also want to do business breakfasts here with middle expecatations.

Room Tip: They say not by the lift shaft, but seriously was no drama for me, never heard it. But the walls ar...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank diceslider
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed 3 nights in a standard room which had a view of the lake. Most comfortable bed and pillows. Good size room with small bathroom with walk in shower. The makeover from Rydges to QT has been well done. Staff very friendly and helpful. Had dinner in the restaurant each night and the food was quite good. The Luckys bar is interesting however the Priority Guest card does not work in this bar. Overall a very pleasant hotel to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 14, 2014

On arrival I was greeted by the happy reception. Check in was a breeze and they were happy to help me with directions etc. as well as arrange some activities for myself and the kids! I was advised that they had just completed a refurbishment and rebrand which has the place looking great!

We booked 2 rooms, a twin and a queen with an adjoining door so the kids were able to have their own space which was perfect. On our first night my husband and I dined in the restaurant downstairs which was fantastic and the kids got room service. The food in the Capital Bar and Grill was delicious and again the staff were friendly and efficient. The antipasto plate for entree is a must!

Overall we had a lovely weekend away and the staff made our experience even more enjoyable. My only complaint would be the lift noise (fine from my room but quite loud in the twin room), however reception advised us that the lift next to the room is shut down at 9pm which did reduce noise. It would also be great if there was a pool somewhere at the hotel.

Already looking forward to my next stay!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Candy S
Reviewed June 13, 2014

I really like all the changes made to transform the old Rydges Lakeside into a very hip and trendy property. Lots of little touches to make the stay really comfortable. Beds are very cosy with comfy pillows.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple