“What a surprise!”
Review of QT Canberra

QT Canberra
Ranked #16 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Why a surprise? Because I stayed at this hotel in its previous guise as a Rydges. If I wrote a review at that time, it would have been "please demolish this property". At that time, it was old, worn out and simply falling apart.

As a result, I was shocked to find the property was simply unrecognisable from the past. It has a quite funky decor and is very well furnished. Add to that comfortable rooms, good rates and excellent service and you have a winning combination.

The lack of a fitness centre in the hotel is a negative though.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,432)

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Room was quite nice and spacious. Looks like it may have been 2 separate rooms at one point. It had two bathrooms and a separate living area. Had a queen side bed, not two singles push together, was a bit soft for me, as I like a firm bed, but I still had a good nights sleep.
Breakfast, which was included in our deal, was good. At the time of our stay the cost would have been $29 pp.
Parking was $12 per day and we never had a problem getting a car space after a day’s sightseeing, maybe we were just lucky or there was no conference at the hotel at that time.
Situated about 15 minute stroll to the mall shops.
Internet was $18 per 24 hour period at the time and was free in all public areas of the hotel.
Laundry was $2 coin per wash and the drier also used $2 coins, but I’m not sure how long you get for $2.
About a 15 minute stroll to the Labour Club, Petrie Plaza. Nothing to do with politics, go for the great schnitzel. I liked it so much I dragged hubby there 3 times so I could have the same meal!
I enjoyed our stay at Rydges Lakeside. I notice that the hotel is changing over to the QT hotel group so I wonder what will change and would need to keep an eye on new reviews before I decided to stay there again when back in Canberra.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The hotel itself is very modern clean and comfortable. The staff are efficient and the breakfast is a very good spread. Don't try to eat at the restaurant for dinner without a reservation - the wait is long. The location is the only fault of this hotel - quite a walk to centre of Canberra.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Clean, neat, restaurant/bar is okay. Staff not settled in, but they are nice enough. We had to put up two clients, and they reported all amenities working, and rooms comfortable. I have reserved my opinion about restaurants because I feel it is very new to the market and is still settling. Good appearance.

Room Tip: Go high because the area is noisy, especially at weekend.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank roemanner
Reviewed June 4, 2014

QT delivers, the hotel quirkiness is joyous. I love the look on others faces when they see for the first time. QT Canberra has good room size and fab bits to enchant and delight , dominoes , pick up sticks crass etc . The range of teas is good and they offer expression coffee if you like that sort if thing. The customer service is excellent. There is plenty wardrobe space, and umbrellas for the rainy weather our capital can turn on. One area to improve is I use my iPhone for an alarm clock , and the electrical points are so low to the ground that I couldn't put the charger in near the bedside cabinet.

Room Tip: Ask for one to look over lake griffin
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Clean and tidy hotel in central location . Beautiful views of the lake,Telstra tower and the parliament from the room. Nice breakfast . Rooms are not very spacious but they are really good. This will be my choice of stay if I have another trip to Canberra .

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed a night at the QT Canberra, but I wished I had stayed a bit longer. I thought the facade of the building was quite a great contrast with the very stylish interior, and everything in the room felt like a collectible - the mugs, writing pad, umbrella(!), etc. - and they do have most of them for sale as well. One of the best things was probably to wake up to an amazing view of Mount Ainslie at sunrise. Also, food was great at the hotel for both breakfast and dinner. Barbecued free range bacon was definitely a highlight of the breakfast for me, in addition to an amazing spread of food.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Probably a room that faces east would be good.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo