“Great - location, price, comfort”
Review of QT Canberra

QT Canberra
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Recently attended an Exhibition and stayed at Rydges. It has recently been refurbished, and the rooms are quite big and very comfortable. The breakfast is great, and the staff are friendly. We invited some friends to come for a drink before heading out to dinner, and the bar, the variety of the drinks and the costs were excellent. The location is also outstanding - minutes from Civic Centre, and a 5 minute drive to the Gallery.
It costs nothing to join the Rewards programme, and you always get a room discount, free arrival drink and discounts on all purchases in the hotel. Member of Seniors on Line also get free breakfast!
We have stayed in Rydges both here and NZ and find them always consistent in their quality,

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Rien_Donkin, Manager at QT Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

It was great to read that you had such a great time here at Lakeside, Kathryn. I am especially pleased that you found us friendly and I have made sure I shared your comments with the team.

Also pleased that you thought breakfast was great. We’ve been working very hard to deliver a top-quality breakfast with a broad range of healthy, fresh and delicious options.

Look forward to welcoming you back, and thanks for your support, Keep an eye out for our future packages with the National Gallery.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

A well appointed room of fresh design and sleek bathroom let down by the fact that only free to air tv available. No access to any movies . The usual Internet gouge somewhat compensated for by free parking if you book through what if.

Room Tip: Height gives better view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rien_Donkin, Manager at QT Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

In addition to the digital free-to-air channels available in Canberra, we provide pay-TV channels from Fox: the three sport channels plus Fox8, Sky News, W and Discovery Channel.

James, I`m glad you liked your room, I gather you would have appreciated and in-house pay movie system. The movie system wasn't getting much use, so it went when we recently spent $200K+ upgrading our internet service. We provide free WiFi internet in the public areas of the hotel, or private unlimited use from your room for $18 per day.

Cheers,

Reviewed April 25, 2013

I spent the night here this week while on a business trip to Canberra. The hotel had lots of under cover secure parking (at a charge) The room looked recently renovated and had a fresh, modern feel. The room had the usual desk, chairs, mini bar area, great storage space for luggage & if you need to hand any garments.

I had room service for dinner and I ordered a pizza, it was good. The restaurant down stairs looked really good also. The staff all where very friendly. The only thing I found a bit off putting was the price of breakfast.

The bed was so comfortable and I very much enjoyed my good nights sleep. All in all, a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Spent a Friday night there and took up their package of : Secure parking, Queen bed room, 2 course dinner for two, bottle of wine with dinner, buffet breakfast. We are locals but the cost of a return cab to the city to dine at the restaurant was more than half the cost of the package deal. Real value!! Room was clean and modern, good bathroom, no complaints.

1  Thank Paul E
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed at Rydges Lakeside for two nights and found it a good place to stay. I thought the price was reasonable, room was clean and facilities were modern. Best part is the hotel's location to central Canberra. It is a short walking distance to the main streets. I found staff to be friendly and would stay again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura H
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed here with a deal I got through being part of Priority Guest Rewards that Rydges run with a room for $100. Upon arrival, the hotel does look a little dated from outside, but is quite modern inside and beautiful, looks like I got a great deal.
Once getting to my room, I could see that, unlike their slogan, I was maybe not their priority. In the room their was card addressed to someone that was not me, seemed like possibly a business associate signed by the GM offering for the man to call him if he needed anything, dated the day before my stay, which house keeping obviously hadn't noticed to remove.
House keeping obviously didn't notice the quite dark, almost black spot on the sheet about the size of a 5c piece - right between and slightly below the pillows either.
We had room service which was absolutely beautiful, the white choc pannacotta was to die for! That seemed to make up for the two smaller issues found prior. When getting drinks for dinner though, my favourite sparkling wine (innocent bystander) seemed a little out of place. A glass (180ml roughly as stated on the menu) was $8 a fair price, but a bottle was around $36 - The bottle was only 375ml! I'm assuming that they used to stock the 750ml and have not adusted the price. Again, something that can be overlooked.
After dinner, I thought I would relax with a nice shower - or not. Despite having a lovely big showerhead, it felt like a light sprinkle of rain, absolutely no water pressure what so ever.
They were all small issues, but by the end of the stay, I left thinking that I probably won't return.

1  Thank GiseleGreta
Rien_Donkin, Manager at QT Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

We decided earlier this year to celebrate Canberra’s Centenary by offering our members a special deal: 100 rooms for $100. The idea was to give people a real motivation to come to Canberra and perhaps experience something different, some of the unexpected things Canberra has to offer.

We weren't thinking that a lack of attention to detail in our own hotel would be among those unexpected surprises. How disappointing. I am really sorry we let you down Gisele, and worse: we left you feeling second-rate.

Although your experience doesn’t show it, our guests really are our priority at this hotel, and I have shared your comments with the team in order to re-focus on the detail – and the things that matter most.

Thanks for the review, and I hope to welcome you back some time...for Panna Cotta maybe...

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Recently stayed at rydges.
The rooms are lovelly & well appointed
When i booked3 rooms I was told they would all be on the same floor & ready for an early check in as we had a wedding to attend , with reception being at rydges. Only one room was ready so 5 adults had to get ready in 1 room. No one called us like reception said they would when the other rooms were ready, we didnt get those rooms till we got back from wedding at 4pm.
Reception staff were disorganised & inconsistent
We & the rest of our party (approx 30 rooms) experienced negative things at this venue & sadly at the wedding reception also .
I posted a review on this site a few days after my stay, stating my complaints .
Then I had a phone call from the general manager of the property. We discussed all aspects of my complaints. He gave explanations for some things & said he would be investigating others. Even though his call did not make our stay any different it was good that he made the effort to call me personally to apologise.
I removed my previous post from this site because I could not edit it & I felt it was fair to let other readers know that if things dont go right at Rydges Canberra , someone looks into it .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family