“Package deal tops!”
Review of QT Canberra

QT Canberra
Ranked #16 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Spent a Friday night there and took up their package of : Secure parking, Queen bed room, 2 course dinner for two, bottle of wine with dinner, buffet breakfast. We are locals but the cost of a return cab to the city to dine at the restaurant was more than half the cost of the package deal. Real value!! Room was clean and modern, good bathroom, no complaints.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul E
There are newer reviews for QT Canberra

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed at Rydges Lakeside for two nights and found it a good place to stay. I thought the price was reasonable, room was clean and facilities were modern. Best part is the hotel's location to central Canberra. It is a short walking distance to the main streets. I found staff to be friendly and would stay again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LauraHutton
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I stayed here with a deal I got through being part of Priority Guest Rewards that Rydges run with a room for $100. Upon arrival, the hotel does look a little dated from outside, but is quite modern inside and beautiful, looks like I got a great deal.
Once getting to my room, I could see that, unlike their slogan, I was maybe not their priority. In the room their was card addressed to someone that was not me, seemed like possibly a business associate signed by the GM offering for the man to call him if he needed anything, dated the day before my stay, which house keeping obviously hadn't noticed to remove.
House keeping obviously didn't notice the quite dark, almost black spot on the sheet about the size of a 5c piece - right between and slightly below the pillows either.
We had room service which was absolutely beautiful, the white choc pannacotta was to die for! That seemed to make up for the two smaller issues found prior. When getting drinks for dinner though, my favourite sparkling wine (innocent bystander) seemed a little out of place. A glass (180ml roughly as stated on the menu) was $8 a fair price, but a bottle was around $36 - The bottle was only 375ml! I'm assuming that they used to stock the 750ml and have not adusted the price. Again, something that can be overlooked.
After dinner, I thought I would relax with a nice shower - or not. Despite having a lovely big showerhead, it felt like a light sprinkle of rain, absolutely no water pressure what so ever.
They were all small issues, but by the end of the stay, I left thinking that I probably won't return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GiseleGreta
Rien_Donkin, Manager at QT Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

We decided earlier this year to celebrate Canberra’s Centenary by offering our members a special deal: 100 rooms for $100. The idea was to give people a real motivation to come to Canberra and perhaps experience something different, some of the unexpected things Canberra has to offer.

We weren't thinking that a lack of attention to detail in our own hotel would be among those unexpected surprises. How disappointing. I am really sorry we let you down Gisele, and worse: we left you feeling second-rate.

Although your experience doesn’t show it, our guests really are our priority at this hotel, and I have shared your comments with the team in order to re-focus on the detail – and the things that matter most.

Thanks for the review, and I hope to welcome you back some time...for Panna Cotta maybe...
Rien

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Recently stayed at rydges.
The rooms are lovelly & well appointed
When i booked3 rooms I was told they would all be on the same floor & ready for an early check in as we had a wedding to attend , with reception being at rydges. Only one room was ready so 5 adults had to get ready in 1 room. No one called us like reception said they would when the other rooms were ready, we didnt get those rooms till we got back from wedding at 4pm.
Reception staff were disorganised & inconsistent
We & the rest of our party (approx 30 rooms) experienced negative things at this venue & sadly at the wedding reception also .
I posted a review on this site a few days after my stay, stating my complaints .
Then I had a phone call from the general manager of the property. We discussed all aspects of my complaints. He gave explanations for some things & said he would be investigating others. Even though his call did not make our stay any different it was good that he made the effort to call me personally to apologise.
I removed my previous post from this site because I could not edit it & I felt it was fair to let other readers know that if things dont go right at Rydges Canberra , someone looks into it .

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I recently stayed in Rydges Lakeside Canberra for a short getaway from Sydney with my husband and my little daughter. Although, the hotel looked a little run down from the outside and that it needed a fresh coat of paint or some sort, the interior was amazing, not to mention its newly refurbished rooms! Locanda restaurant (breakfast & dinner) really set the mood for a nice, fancy dinner for our holiday. I particularly liked the long bar next to the restaurant which had a nice atmosphere.

When we checked in, we got upgraded to a superior room on higher floor for FREE! It was a lovely gesture and the receptionists at the desk were friendly and asked about our holiday and recommended us some nice places to visit the next day.

The room we stayed in was lovely not to mention we were given a complimentary rollaway bed for our daughter. I was pleased with its clean and modern room with balcony.

The bed was very comfortable. One of a very few hotels that we actually had good night's sleep during our holiday.

I would definitely come back in the future and would highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 281JennyB
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Don't have a wedding reception there's, it's quite simple.

I felt sorry for the staff that night as they are "apparently" only been given instructions, but when the instructions are either very incorrect or wrong .. Then questions need to be raised.

1- being told 3 weeks out when the venue had been booked for 13 months that a major reason for staying was unavailable. Then WE fixed the problem with no help from the GM of Rydges who just shrugged his shoulders.

2- we went through 3 wedding planners ( not their fault) and was promised several Times in email that she would be there on the night. She never showed, apparently later on we were told that she was on holidays for the weekend . Again communication was severely lacking. We have not heard from her since to check on who the night went. Embarrassed perhaps?

3- Seating plan were wrong , we gave the numbers they stuffed up the tables no help was forthcoming

4- dietary requests we given two weeks out prior to the reception, they got every single one wrong.

5- the BRIDE Is gluten intolerant , they got her meal wrong!! of all the requests they could've got right this was the main one and I it was wrong. .

6- The staff forgot to top up champagne glasses before the toasts. People were making toasts at speeches yet we had nothing to toast with.

7- The bridal table had full table service yet they got two drinks all night.

8- The chef decided to change his desert and gave nuts to somebody with anaphylaxis. This was on the dietary requirements list and actually discussed with the chef tasting three months beforehand. Nuts was not on the original recipe for the desert why was it then placed on there that night?

9- I'm sure Rydges will have this deleted.

10- The staff then had the gall to turn around the next day and tell the general manager that the reception had gone off without any issues at all.

11- This assistant to the general manager was in charge of the evening apparently , yet failed to make himself known to the groom. The only time the groom heard from him was when he entered the lobby and said "how are you sir?" I thought he was a doorman !

12- Reception staff could not find bookings the day before the wedding guests, some guess had to wait up to an hour to get their room.

13- cake table at reception was way too small for the cake. Deliveryman and the brother of the bride had to fix this themselves as nobody from Rydges would help them after repeated requests for help.

14- Has been over a week since we met with the GM after the event and have not heard back from him when he was going to investigate immediately and get back to us.

15- Excuse my grammar and typing I'm doing this on my iPhone!

16- With the cost of the reception and the amount of guests that we had staying there that week and it would've come to a cost of almost $30,000. Some things on this list may seem petty but everything adds up to the most important day about lives.

I hope this helps some other people are looking to have a reception at Rydges Lakeside.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Benny300313
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Recently stayed at rydges to celebrate 16th wedding anniversary. Had kids with us and stayed in a queen and twin interconnecting rooms. Rooms were fantastic and refurbished. Great view of the lake. We had room service and the food was divine!! Highly recommend this place. Don't let the run down look of the building on the outside turn you off.

• Stayed: April 2013