WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Melbourne
“convenient location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

First, the positive points. The hotel is close to the ANU. Their 'dream beds' are pretty comfy!! Probably the best feature of this hotel to me. However, while it was clean, it was a little on the dusty side. I probably noticed it more than most people would, being highly sensitive to dust and allergic to it. Having gotten used to complimentary bottled water in many hotels, I realised to my dismay that the bottles placed next to the bed had little price tags. By then I had finished half the bottle. It was hard to tell what was complimentary. The signage could have been clearer. Check in took 45 minutes. Apparently the system was down but having told us they would sort out the room availability manually, they seemed to forget that they'd told us to wait and didn't get back to us. I would probably stay there again for its proximity to the ANU.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank platypi
DonGoode, General Manager at QT Canberra, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Our proximaty to the Australian National Univerity ensures we have a concistant presence of guests associated with events at the ANU.
Many of our guests also take advanantage of the arrangements we have in place for the access to the campus gymnasium which has a greater variety of equipment and more space than our own facility.One of the key measurements of our performance is attention to detail .Customers who take the trouble to advise us of areas where we may be found wanting are truley "our best friends" Such feed back keeps us on top of our game ensurring concistant standards of service delivery , product quality and presentation of clean and safe failiites in line with our guests expectations.
Unfortunately you experienced a situation where our server crashed ( technology, such a marvelous thing - when it works!) Having to change over to manual systems is not something we get a lot of practice with, and I apologise for the delays and inconvenience you had to endure.
Your comment in regard to keeping one`s customers in the communications loop is spot on .
Communication ,such an easy process yet regularily taken for granted.
Once again ,Thank you for you valuable feed back.

Best regards,
Don.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed here the Saturday and Sunday night and it will now be our preferred hotel when in Canberra. Centrally located and an easy stroll to the CBD or a short cab ride to the parliamentary triangle and Manuka - it makes getting around easy. Check in and check out was handled efficiently and in a friendly manner. The refurb works well. All in all a pleasure to stay there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have stayed here for many years, whenever I visit Canberra. I am now 86 years old and the last trip I took early this month, January 2013, with my daughter was even better than previous visits. Our room has been refurbished and the bathroom is now superb with a rainshower head on the shower, no step into the shower - ideal for old lady legs. The beds were excellent and the balcony looking out on to the lake is the icing on the cake. We took a Toulouse Lautrec package which was excellent value and included breakfast as well as tickets and a catalogue. There is no way breakfast could be improved as there was so much variety and quality. Underground parking used to be free to guests but now costs $12 - mmm, convenient but!?

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room near the lifts. It can be a bit noisy in the early evening.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is one of two hotels I like to use in Canberra - but it is often fully booked so you need to get in early. The location is great, next to the CBD and close to ANU. The rooms are comfortable (and some are in need of refurbishment which was going on while I was last there) and clean. Paying for WiFi and parking is an issue as that can easily add $40 or more a night to your stay. In this day and age WiFi is like any other room amenity and should be part of the package, especially as this hotel caters to business travellers.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

I liked the place. I stayed there for 5 nights recently and I liked the location, staff, room, view and so much more. I didn't like how thin the walls were and how we were kept up and woken up by our neighbours, and there was no air in the bathroom so it was very hot in there but apart from that everything worked and we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights. The room was well set out with a desk, large tv, arm chair, comfortable bed and a lovely big balcony that had a great view of Parliament House. The air conditioning worked well for the hot days we experienced and it was centrally located both to ANU and the shops.

However, given we were paying almost $200 a night the cleanliness of the bathroom in particular left a lot to be desired throughout our stay. The floor hadn't been swept prior to our arrival and nor was it on any of the days that we were there. The basin did not drain well and there was a lack of ventilation as well which was a nuisance. Additionally, paying $29 a night for wifi was also steep and i had to call the main service centre twice to fix the connection remotely.

Room service was very good and i ordered the salmon which was delicious. Check out was a breeze and Robert on reception was very helpful in printing my boarding pass for my flight. The other boy on reception that we encountered during check in could definitely use a few pointers from him.

Overall an ok stay but a few improvements are needed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DonGoode, General Manager at QT Canberra, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the trouble to post your impressions on this forum .It is one of our most credible measurements of ensuring we stay "on top of our game" in terms of ensurring we concistantly deliver on service , product quality and presentation of our facilities in line with our guests impressions.
I can only assume you have posted your review in respect of a recent stay with us , hence I am at a loss as to how you came to pay $29 for our WIFI facility , when our 24 hour rate is $18.
Whilst I certainly don`t question your comments , upon following up on your advice regarding requiring contact from the support desk of our service provider.Their log confirm the last call was in early December and the matter was resolved on the first call.
I trust you would have noticed the Hotel has recently completed an extensive refurbishment progam which included an full rebuild of our bathrooms.We are keenly aware of the importancen of the attention to detail in respect to the presentation of our facilites .
I want to ensure you we have systems and proceedures in place , along with the one on one training to ensure we are able to maintain these standards.
I am sorry you found us wanting in this area ,and apologise to the dissapointment you experienced .
I trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Rydges Lakeside when you next have cause to visit Canberra and demonstate the areas of the Bathroom cleanliness you kindly bought to our attention was an exception to the rule .
Best regards ,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

After Sitting Down And Reading The Menu We Realised it Wasn't For Us And Moved On But To Our Shock The Next Morning Checking Out Of Our Room, The Water We Sipped On In The Restaurant Was Waiting On Our Room Bill For $8!!!? What The?

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Parko27
I apreciate and understand your comments in respect to your impressions upon reading the Menu , that our Locanda Italian Steak wasn`t what you were looking for , however I must say that I couldn`t understand why you felt it was "highly over rated" , based in your impressions of the menu alone.
Since the completion on an extesive refurbishment of the hotel lobby and other public spaces including the restaurant and bar concept, we have been fortunate to enjoy a popular reputation in particular amoungst our local patrons from Canberra who make up 70% of our customer mix as opposed to our guests staying in house. This is usually seen credible indication as to how we are delivering on service , product and presentation of our facilities.We will always proactivey solicit our customer feedback in the understanding that this is one of the more acceptable forms of measuring our performance and striving to concistantly deliver in line with our customers expectations .
Thank you for taking the trouble to post your impressions on this forum.
Best regards,