“Clean modern property, good location but mediocre service”
Review of QT Canberra

QT Canberra
Ranked #17 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Stayed here for two weeks recently for work and was pretty pleased with the clean and modern features of the hotel room. The hotel has recently been refurbished so the fresh linen and decor is appreciated. Rooms are small yet functional with balconies (although you can't do much with balconies in Canberra!).

The restaurant has fantastic italian food and seems to be a bit of a neighbourhood gem for local Canberrians. The host of the restaurant seemed a little and arrogant rude to both staff and guests, which I observed since I was dining by myself. I felt quite a bit of empathy for them to have to be managed by him. Especially when I thought back to my days of working in food and beverage for a large hotel group.

Halfway through my stay there was an issue with the airconditioning where it made a rattling noise making it difficult to sleep. I was moved to a room where the airconditioning did not work at all, so I was provided with a portable heater. I was OK with this but expected that the staff would try and resolve the heating issue rather than just aimlessly try and solve a problem.

The 'cardio' room is a complete joke. There is a treadmill and bike. If you're here for work and want a workout where you aren't attacked by magpies (like me) then you might be better elsewhere.

Across the road at the rear of the hotel is a fantastic cafe called Mocan & Green Grout - best coffee in Canberra.

Room Tip: Better to have a room at the rear of the hotel facing west for quieter and afternoon sun aspect.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for QT Canberra

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Brilliant location for cycling around Lake Burley Griffin (which is why we were there), overhead cycleway from back of hotel to lakeside. Room was clean and quiet with pleasant view over park.

Minor negatives were the broken bathroom exhaust fan and the unhappy night clerk who appeared to resent our 11pm arrival and interruption of some activity that had disarranged his clothing, and who failed to code our door key for the carpark. The daytime manager rectified this and was quick, efficient, and polite.

We'll be back, probably at the same time next year.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed in October 2010 as a couple, on business.

Nice hotel (probably the best RYDGES i've stayed in), and good location close to attractions in Canberra such as the Floriade, Parliament House and Questacon.
Great conference facilities, and the business aspect was immaculate. Highly recommend in this respect.

A bit pricey however, but still good none-the-less.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I booked this through a Wotif Mystery Hotel deal. It was, by Canberra standards, pretty cheap at A$111.

I'm usually disappointed by Canberra hotels, but this was an exception: I was very impressed. Check-in was a challenge because my name hadn't been entered properly - I'm not sure whether this was Wotif's fault or the hotel's fault, but it's worth noting that I had the same problem last time I stayed in a hotel that I'd booked through a Wotif Mystery deal (the Langham Yangtze in Shanghai). So I'm leaning towards it being Wotif's fault.

Even when there was the problem, the check-in staff were friendly and helpful. The room was nice and clean. The bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom had enough space. And it was nice to have an opening window and a balcony. The room wasn't massive, but it was big enough.

I've seen several reviews talking about the hotel's spectacular views. I was excited about this: I thought I'd see the Harbour Bridge, or Hong Kong's skyline, or Uluru or something. But no. If you are looking for a hotel with spectacular views, I should warn you that this hotel can only offer views of Canberra and its environs. But I can't really blame the hotel for this.

I've also seen reviews complaining about noises from the lifts. My room (615) was directly opposite the lift, and I didn't hear anything.

One review complained about the TV. There are two things to note here. Many hotels offer a very limited range of channels; this one offered all the free-to-air digital channels and several Foxtel channels. This was good. But the complaint was about the picture quality, and I'd have to agree: it seems that there's a very wobbly satellite feed. It was a newish LCD TV, but the picture was very fuzzy on every channel.

The location is pretty good - it's a 5-10 minute walk to the Canberra Centre, less to the cafes on the North side of London Circuit, and about 15-20 minutes to Parliament.

All in all, if I can get a similar deal in future, I'll definitely stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had a one night stay for work, booked via wotif and got a good deal. This hotel is well positioned for the central city, easily walking distance to the plaza & shops. Good service booking in even though it was quite late. Allowed me to park the car all day after I had checked out at 6am. Newly refurbished room with a nice view over the city. Very comfortable bed with a good selection of pillows which made sleeping easier.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank edhill-from-Oz
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed here recently for 1 night. Check in was friendly and efficient, getting to our room was easy from the underground carpark Our room had a view of Black Mountain and glimpses of Lake Burley Griffin. Was an easy 10 minute walk to Floriade.

Likewise, was an easy walk to our dinner destination. Room had been recently refurbished. The bed was comfortable, the pillows were also comfortable. The bathroom lacked storage area for toiletries. The stand-up shower was nice, but the water pressure was quite weak.

Would recommend staying here if your visit to Canberra is centred around the City as it is in easy walking distance to restaurants and nightspots.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ozzieflyer
DonGoode, General Manager at QT Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear Ozieflyer,

The floriade festival is a must see event each year in Canberra , Rydges Lakeside is one of the clostest ( in terms of a major Hotel) locations to Comminwealth Park.
I was pleased to note you were happy with our refurbished guest rooms and public areas.

I also noted your comments regarding an apparent issue with the water pressure for your shower which I will personaly follow up on with our Maintainance Manager.

Thoughout the summer of 2013 the Tolouse Letrec exhibition features at the Australian National Galley - a good reason to visit us again !

Best regards,
Don.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stayed at Rydges Lakeside for two nights this week and the refurbishment has been a big improvement. Our room on Level 13 was smart and comfortable. We have stayed here on other occasions because we like the position of this hotel. Glimpses of the lake are possible despite the high-rise buildings that have been allowed by Council to block much of the view. While the room had a shower cap, soap, shampoo and conditioner, it really needs to have body lotion or hand lotion in a hotel of this category.

Reception needs to be more welcoming … it is a hotel and supposed to be a happy experience!

The restaurant was appalling. Service was non-existent and the food ordinary! They did not have enough staff and those who were there, were inexperienced. We had to ask for a wine list after waiting for 20 minutes to get one and then were told in a surly manner for the second time that they were short of wine lists after we had seen them given out to 2 more tables since our arrival. Our bottle of wine disappeared after the waiter poured a drink for us. It took 10 minutes to get it back. The ravioli must have been sitting for a while before it arrived at our table because the sauce was set on the top and the sauce was far too rich. It was difficult to get water and to have it topped up! At these prices things should be much better!

Room Tip: don't eat there.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank annagram09

A warm welcoming greeting upon ones arrival , value for money incorporating a standard of service and product quality that is cincistant with your expectations is a minimum standard that we all stive for and the reason we choose to be in this terrific industry.

I am sorry we let you down on this occassion , and I would like you to accept my apologies for the dissapointment and inconvenience you experienced .

Thank you for taking the trouble to forward on your feedback. We understand forums such as this one are an effective tool in meassuring our performance and ensurring we consistantly strive in our committment to deliver on high standards in service , quality product and safe and clean facilities comensurate with our customers expectations.
I trust we will have the pleasure of being of service to you when you next have cause to visit Canberra.

Best regards ,