“My stay in Canberra” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Perth, Australia
“My stay in Canberra”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

The motel is centrally located and close to shopping and the bus station. Because Canberra is celebrating 100 years they have put on a free bus service that takes you to all the tourist sites.
There is a taxi ramp outside the motel and a tourist centre next door.
The motel rooms are well appointed and the buffet breakfast caters for every one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nathan F, General Manager at Novotel Canberra, responded to this review, May 28, 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at Novotel Canberra, we appreciate the feedback. A new leadership team with a focus on maximising guest satisfaction is in place and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Nathan Frost

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We recently stayed a weekend here to visit the National Gallery and the Toulousse Lautrec exhibition. The package was great value for money (but could have included parking). The room and facilities were great and the location is central and close to everything.
The only gripe I had was that the property was very noisy at night. Noise travelled very freely from the corridor through the door. I was woken several times from the noise of people coming in late.

Room Tip: Don't pay for parking unless you really want it covered. There is plenty of street parking for f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

With so many hotels in Canberra and so many varied reviews, it was difficult to decide where to stay. We had stayed at the Novotel on Northbourne Avenue before so we went back there.
Our room faced Northbourne Avenue, but the hotel is well soundproofed and we heard no noise.
Nearby Bunda street had a variety of bars and restaurants but on Friday evening they were all very busy and noisy. We opted for dinner in the hotel, food was good and service was ok. The bar and restaurant were both busy, but not extremely noisy.
The hotel was very busy at breakfast time, but they could cope with that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Yeah it's a great place to stay - easy to find and stay.
Unfortunately I think I was ill when I started my trip, and so after I'd been to the NGA to see Toulouse Lautrec, I checked in and stayed fairly quiet, no one's fault, I'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I was in town for a conference and while there were a few cheaper options, the Novotel appealed because of the reviews here on Trip Advisor, but also because it is the type of hotel I prefer. I wasn't disappointed.

Check in and check out were both quick, staff very friendly. The room was on the large side, nice flat screen TV, good size desk and clean. The bed, I have to say, was probably the most comfortable I've slept in - I had a dodgy lower back which is my indicator for good beds, and I was pain free both mornings (even better than my chiropractor bed at home!).

I ordered room service one night and asked if I could get some real milk for my tea, which arrived in a delightful teapot - plenty for the two days I was staying. The food was good too. Breakfast was fine once the English Breakfast Tea appeared on the counter - nothing extraordinary, but plenty of it and hot.

My only issue is that once again, a hotel says 'hang your towels up to help save the world' and I do this - are they there when I return? No, brand new ones. This is not unique to the Novotel, but please, if you are really trying to be environmentally conscious, follow through or just don't bother. It smacks of lip service, and that's not a good look. But not worth losing a star over this time.

All in all, a good job of making the stay seamless, with no dramas - I'd happily return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
NovotelCanberra, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Canberra, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Mazza57,
Thank you for your very kind words regarding your recent time with us as our guest. I was very pleased to share with the team how much you enjoyed your stay.

As a multiple enviromental award winner, I was disappointed to read your comments regarding the changing of your towels when not requested. We are very conscious of our footprint on the enviroment and take many steps to reduce this as much as possible.
Mazza57, I can only apologise that on this stay, our mandates were not followed and this has been re-addressed.
We look forward to seeing you back in Canberra very soon.
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Very good location for all the tourist spots, close to shops, restaurants in the area ok. Service very attentive and helpful. Pool could be heated more. Spa and sauna great. Room service cold and below standard.
Rooms are good but could do with refurb. Very good price for a family so, value for money especially with buffet breakfast is very difficult to beat in Canberra. Beds should have pillow toppers for more comfort. Overall a good stay but may change next time just for variety of surroundings as we are regular visitors to Canberra. Would still recommend to first time visitors.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family