“Great central location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Geelong, Australia
“Great central location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have stayed at the Medina on several occasions and apart from the convenience of it having apartments with self catering facilities it's central oocation is a big plus. It's located in the centre of Civic which is the city centre and is minutes from the restaurants and a couple of supermarkets. It is 5 minutes by taxi to Parliment House, and you could walk to the war museum , national gallery , High Court in 20 to 30 minutes if you are feeling energetic. The hotel is comfortable, clean and has tTVs and air conditioners in both the lounge and bedroom.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony but if it is onNorthbourne Ave it can be a bit noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and found our rooms to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Executive James Court in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Hobart, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel was chosen for its proximity to the city and for a special treat for interstate family. What a disappointment. They reported to me that the bathroom was not properly cleaned - remnants of previous occupants is without excuse. The beds are rock hard and prevented a good nights sleep. We as a family would certainly not choose this hotel again, or recommend it to other family members and friends who visit from interstate.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Salhaladin
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable comments about your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court.

I am sorry to read that your stay with us was not the positive experience that we hope our guests have.

I want to assure you that any feedback is of the highest value to us, so if you would like to discuss any part of your stay in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Hotel Manager

Travelers are raving about these Canberra hotels

Devonport, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I arranged for my staff to stay at this establishment to attend a conference, they were shocked on their arrival that I would have booked such a low standard of accommodation. The "apartment" was small, dirty and add random items of mens underware laying around. The book in process was terrible, on each occassion (same room) but the checking out was worse, they charged the whole stay($820) to my junior staff members credit card not only without permission, they didn't inform her and didn't issue a tax invoice! Not a good look Mendina I think you really need to lift your standards on all levels in the ACT!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kim S
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court.

I was concerned to read of the problems you experienced during your stay with us. Please accept my apologies.

If you would like to discuss your stay with me directly in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Wangi Wangi, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here with my husband and elderly parents in a two bedroom apartment. 2nd room so tiny and dark, obviously meant for kids but I had specified in an email that I needed room for four adults, two elderly. The apartment was shabby and desperately in need of a refit and paint job. Not very clean; mould in shower and dusty throughout. Furniture tired and lounge so low and past its best my parents couldn't sit in it.on the upside hotel is in a great location and had good conveniences in apartment e.g.washer, dryer, dishwasher. It could be a great apartment with a renovation. However, as our window was above the 24 hr McDonald's drive thru, sleep was a challenge. Didn't live up to its claims and not worth the price + extra $45 for parking.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the 1st floor which is not directly over the McDonalds 24 hr drive thru. Check...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at . I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, however am disappointed to hear that the remainder of your experience did not meet your expectations and would like to apologise.

Please contact me directly at the hotel if you wish to discuss you stay in more detail, we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

I highly recommend the Medina James Court. We stay here every time we visit Canberra and I have never had a bad experience. Rooms are perfect, great location, spa and pool are clean and the price is great. Can not fault it!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

The team at Medina Executive James Court are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and found our rooms to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Medina in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I recently booked a two bed apartment for a 1 night stay in Canberra. Basically the apartments are spacious with nice facilities (good kitchen, laundry etc) although starting to look very old. The bathrooms particularly are a bit dated and the paintwork etc is starting to look past its best. However despite those issues, it is well located with helpful staff. My main issue is the matter of the Pre-Authorisation process. I booked and paid in full prior to arrival. On checking in I was asked for a deposit of $100 on my credit card for incidentals. Normal procedure so far. However the following day when we checked out I had an expense of $17.40 for parking and phone calls. Normal again. I chose to pay by cash and was informed that the $100 pre-authorisation would not be "unfrozen" on my account for 5-7 days!! I was extremely unhappy with this - I had no expenses and I do not believe that a hotel should be able to keep my money for 5-7days. An immediate release of those unused funds should have taken place. The staff offered to fax the bank to get it released - even though it was my unused funds! I have never heard of hotels keeping "frozen funds" (their expression) for 5-7 days. Of course if the bill is bigger than$100 that is fine as it reduces the balance owing but for someone with no incidentals that is an outrageous thing to do. I will be taking up the matter with the Ombudsman and the company. The $100 appeared on my credit card statement THE FOLLOWING DAY! No-one explained the process on check in. There is no mention on their website either. Credit cards attract a fee of 1.5% which is clear but there is no mention of the pre-authorisation procedure with the time delay. It left a very sour taste in what would otherwise have been a reasonable stay. The staff did try to resolve it but it is very poor policy.

1 Thank absolutetravel
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at . I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and our team, however am disappointed to hear that the remainder of your experience did not meet your expectations and would like to apologise.

western nsw
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We travelled to Canberra for my mum's 90th birthday last weekend. My three children and their children who included two very new babies (3wks and 6wks) also attended. I had booked 2 two-bedroom apartments for us all. Having stayed here previously, I knew the apartments were extremely spacious, had 2 bathrooms and were excellently equipped with kitchen and laundry facilities. Yes, these apartments are not sparkly brand new, but they offer phenomal space and facilities at a very reasonable price. My booking was made reasonably early when we were not really aware of whether all could make it with the newborn babies. As the function for Mum was being held at lunchtime and we all had to travel on the day to Canberra, we really wanted to be able to access our apartments early to enable feeding, changing, etc of children. The service and assistance we received to achieve this was given helpfully and so happily. We all felt that we were very lucky to experience the great level of customer service as well as the terrific accommodation. Would recommend very strongly as a brilliant family destination!

1 Thank countrymumWesternNsw
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court. I am pleased to read that you found our rooms to your liking.

Thank you also for your comments in regards to the service I will make sure this is passed onto our team.