“Love it here... Always a winner”

Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court
Ranked #30 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I highly recommend the Medina James Court. We stay here every time we visit Canberra and I have never had a bad experience. Rooms are perfect, great location, spa and pool are clean and the price is great. Can not fault it!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2012

Dear Guest

The team at Medina Executive James Court are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and found our rooms to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Medina in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,629)

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I recently booked a two bed apartment for a 1 night stay in Canberra. Basically the apartments are spacious with nice facilities (good kitchen, laundry etc) although starting to look very old. The bathrooms particularly are a bit dated and the paintwork etc is starting to look past its best. However despite those issues, it is well located with helpful staff. My main issue is the matter of the Pre-Authorisation process. I booked and paid in full prior to arrival. On checking in I was asked for a deposit of $100 on my credit card for incidentals. Normal procedure so far. However the following day when we checked out I had an expense of $17.40 for parking and phone calls. Normal again. I chose to pay by cash and was informed that the $100 pre-authorisation would not be "unfrozen" on my account for 5-7 days!! I was extremely unhappy with this - I had no expenses and I do not believe that a hotel should be able to keep my money for 5-7days. An immediate release of those unused funds should have taken place. The staff offered to fax the bank to get it released - even though it was my unused funds! I have never heard of hotels keeping "frozen funds" (their expression) for 5-7 days. Of course if the bill is bigger than$100 that is fine as it reduces the balance owing but for someone with no incidentals that is an outrageous thing to do. I will be taking up the matter with the Ombudsman and the company. The $100 appeared on my credit card statement THE FOLLOWING DAY! No-one explained the process on check in. There is no mention on their website either. Credit cards attract a fee of 1.5% which is clear but there is no mention of the pre-authorisation procedure with the time delay. It left a very sour taste in what would otherwise have been a reasonable stay. The staff did try to resolve it but it is very poor policy.

1  Thank absolutetravel
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at . I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and our team, however am disappointed to hear that the remainder of your experience did not meet your expectations and would like to apologise.

Please contact me directly at the hotel if you wish to discuss you stay in more detail, we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We travelled to Canberra for my mum's 90th birthday last weekend. My three children and their children who included two very new babies (3wks and 6wks) also attended. I had booked 2 two-bedroom apartments for us all. Having stayed here previously, I knew the apartments were extremely spacious, had 2 bathrooms and were excellently equipped with kitchen and laundry facilities. Yes, these apartments are not sparkly brand new, but they offer phenomal space and facilities at a very reasonable price. My booking was made reasonably early when we were not really aware of whether all could make it with the newborn babies. As the function for Mum was being held at lunchtime and we all had to travel on the day to Canberra, we really wanted to be able to access our apartments early to enable feeding, changing, etc of children. The service and assistance we received to achieve this was given helpfully and so happily. We all felt that we were very lucky to experience the great level of customer service as well as the terrific accommodation. Would recommend very strongly as a brilliant family destination!

1  Thank countrymumWesternNsw
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court. I am pleased to read that you found our rooms to your liking.

Thank you also for your comments in regards to the service I will make sure this is passed onto our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Medina Executive James Court in the future.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

We enjoyed our 3 night stay in a two bedroom apartment overlooking the outdoor heated pool, which our 7 year old grandson really enjoyed. We were very pleased with the location of our room, would not have liked to have been on the opposite side of the building.
The rooms were clean and well presented.
We did have to request some missing items and minor maintenance which was attended to.

1  Thank 4wdaustralia
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court.

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Medina in the near future.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Medina Executive on the weekend of 21-23 September 2012 for a friends wedding, we had travelled from Melbourne and unfortunately the airline we flew with managed to lose our luggage. We informed staff at the hotel when we arrived and they were most helpful in letting us know where we could go to buy some toiletries etc, and they were even able to lend us phone chargers. In particular we found that Sarah was extremely helpful, and we'd like to thank her for making our annoying situation so much easier to deal with! She also gave us some great recommendations & directions for places we could go to have a late dinner in the area.

We stayed in a room that overlooked the pool so we didn't notice the road noise that other people have mentioned. The room itself was a bit outdated but it was clean and tidy & a great price considering it was so close to everything in the city.

Will definitely recommend this hotel to others & wouldn't hesitate in staying there again if and when I ever travel to Canberra.

Room Tip: Rooms not on Northbourne Avenue would be much quieter
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your detailed comments about your recent stay at Medina Executive James Court.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be good value for money and in a good location.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The Medina Executive is exactly like Canberra itself, a bit dated but still fabulous. I am allowed to say that, as I was born in Canberra!
We stayed in a 2 bedroom, which was exactly as advertised. Yes, the rooms are quiet dusty and not the cleanest in the world, and yes the spa did leak but regardless we still had a great time and yes we would stay there again.
The kitchen in the room was fantastic. I asked for a room away from McDonalds, which was granted. The cleaning staff and the staff at reception were all lovely.
It was odd that the pool was outside??? Quite strange as Canberra is cold a lot of the time.
Nevertheless, we had a great stay.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room away from McDonalds if you are a light sleeper like myself.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest

The team at Medina Executive James Court are delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I would like to thank you for taking the time to share this feedback with us.

I have passed your comments onto the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Medina James Court intermittantly over the last five years. Initially the apartments were bright, clean and well appointed. But we have seen a substantial deterioration over time.
On this occasion, the apartment smelled strongly of cooked curry. We subsequently requested another available apartment and were very promptly offered a one bedroom unit which was an improvement in all respects, e.g. brighter, cleaner and no foul smell.
However, the bathroom has some mould around the shower grouting, not much but typical of apartments which have not been refurbished for some years.
There's clearly a wide range of quality across James Court (Northbourne) Canberra apartments. Which reduces the value for money in my view.
Traffic noise for apartments facing Northboune Avenue is unpleasant, even at night. For that reason alone I would not choose to stay at that location again.
The staff were generally helpful and responded quickly to our concerns.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
AmandaMedina, Manager at Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra, James Court, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of Medina Executive James Court, we appreciate the time you have taken to write it and I will share your feedback with our team.

I was also delighted that you found our team to be helpful and friendly and I have noted your comments in areas of improvement.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss further.