“Avoid room 212”

Hyatt Hotel Canberra
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Having booked using "loyalty points" (1 room), paying full rate with another, we were given room 212 nearest a "Plant Room" - which is noisy in the middle of the night.
This was compounded by the Air Conditioner only working on full - making sleep near impossible.
The bathroom was also a little dirty/shabby.
The hotel appeared to be about one quarter full at the time - so no pressing reason to use that room.
Management offered a 50% cost reduction (and further still a Club upgrade on a future stay).
We both would have preferred a decent night’s sleep giving no reason to complain.
I doubt the offer of a free club upgrade will be used.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank gortonsm

Reviewed February 15, 2009

Our family has stayed at the Hyatt many times because it is the best comprehensive-hotel type accommodation we have found in Canberra. In the past we have always been happy there.

This time, we came for the weekend with an overseas visitor, and were disappointed for the first time. We were in rooms 426 and 413. In the latter, the telephone did not work properly and the hairdryer was not functioning. Movie selection did not work properly. Alright, these may be minor issues which can usually be sorted with a phone call, but not what's expected at a hotel of this standard. In 426, we were troubled by the smell of cooked fish well into the night, wafting up through the light well. Even a towel stuffed under the door failed to completely control this. Added to the elevator noise (it's next to the lift shaft), the experience was less than pleasant.

The staff were excellent as always. However, the dinner menu is tired and lacks local fresh produce, while the price for full breakfast is well beyond the quality of the offering: sad bacon, very limited cereals and fruit, with failure to keep items replenished in the last hour of breakfast service, amongst other issues.

The hotel has great atmosphere and service, but I'll be trying somewhere else next time I'm in Canberra.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Elliot_Paspalt
Reviewed January 26, 2009

My husband and I stayed for our wedding night recently. We also stayed an additional night.

The Hyatt Hotel Canberra is just beautiful. It has old world charm which is refreshingly different - it is low rise, 1920s in style, beautiful gardens etc

Our room was lovely with a great bathroom - awesome shower (big fancy shower head) , toiletries and robe (always a good sign). It was super clean and quiet. We had Room 10 - highly recommended.

We used the club lounge which if you have access to is a great service and you must use the evening drinks and canapes! Awesome...

Service was great - only downfall is receptionist wasnt overly friendly and when I rang the hotel the month before they told me I could not pay in advance ("I have worked in reservations for five years and there is no way you can pay for your stay in advance") only to decide to turn up to the hotel in person the month before and indeed - I could pay in advance!

Otherwise - it was awesome.

Such a lovely lovely hotel with everything you could want for.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Laura0576
Reviewed January 24, 2009

Like the previous reviewer we visited Canberra to see the Degas exhibition. I booked a very good deal on the Hyatt website, securing our king double room for $150 per night.

On arrival (after driving from Melbourne) we were greeted by an efficient check in, instructions re parking, directions to the room and very helpful assistance in taking our luggage to the room. The chap managing our luggage was very cheerful and polite and explained all room features clearly, including costs of internet.

We appear to have one of the rooms not yet refurbished which is not a major issue unless you go peering about to criticise but I can understand guests paying full price would expect everything to be immaculately perfect.

Staff at the buffet were friendly and the food was fine - perhaps not as good as the Langham, Melbourne for example, but on par with most buffets I've seen and eaten.

The concierge service was very helpful - providing valet undercover parking ($21) despite the lateness of our request due to predicted storms; and arranging a last minute booking at Axis for dinner - exceptional menu and great staff.

Given the apparent dearth of quality, good value accommodation in Canberra, I'm really glad we have stayed here especially when the internet price provided pretty good value for $$$. And we found all the staff to be professional and friendly.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Baileybum
Reviewed January 20, 2009

This was the first time I had actually booked accommodation at the hotel to attend this annual conference. I have stayed at other hotels in previous years. I wish I had done so this year.
The $500 price tag for the accommodation was a joke. I travel a lot and this place is in the 3 star price tag. A motel type room, no laundry facilities, and no view. Decor was ok, but cramped conditions did not encourage us to stay in the room. Only one lounge chair.
Staff were pleasant but service was ordinary - nothing more. No help offered to heave our heavy suitcases up the flight of stairs to our room, and no warning that this was the only access to our room.
Breakfast was ordinary and not worth $40.
I am returning my Hyatt Gold card as a result and won't be staying or reccommending anyone stay at the Hyatt. Have also placed complaint with the national conference organisers.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank cazirola
Reviewed January 14, 2009

I escorted some international visitors to Canberra this month, and they chose the Park Hyatt. Having stayed there before, I thought they may appreciate the art-deco style of the hotel, but was worried about the overall experience.

The first night we "experienced" the buffet at the hotel. These visitors are very experienced travellers, and used to 5* experiences around the world, and to the last person were extremely disappointed with the quality, range and presentation of the dinner. Secondly, charging $40 for a full breakfast is extremely steep, considering a good quality cafe style breakfast with the same food is in the $12-$18 range.

Finally, although the room refurbishment is adequate, the air conditioning system leaves plenty to be desired and the 3G reception at the hotel is woeful at best - I couldn't hold a 3G data connection for more than a few minutes without dropping out.

Not a hotel that I would recommend for international visitors again - I'd more likely choose one of the boutique Canberra hotels.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank aust_bitemark
Reviewed January 13, 2009

We got engaged at the Hyatt in 2007 and decided to use it as the venue for our wedding ceremony. I would have to say that the ceremony was great and went without a hitch, I wish I could say the same for the room.

We payed for the Club Deluxe room and at nearly $500 I have to say I was very disappointed. The rooms are tired and the shower screen has mould growing on it. We asked them to tidy up the room after we finished getting ready so it looked nice when we returned but arrived to find the bed turned down but dirty glasses and plates everywhere. Tidying up your room in the wedding dress and suit is not how you envisage spending your wedding night! The included breakfast for the next morning was average. There were no plates and there wasn't a huge range of stuff on offer. Would I stay at the Hyatt in Canberra again... probably not.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple