“Heritage Hyatt” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Adelaide, Australia
“Heritage Hyatt”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

It is great to see such a charming heritage site -the former Canberra Hotel -revived to this level with elegant decor and touches of times past cleverly executed.
The ambience was peaceful and the garden views from various points quite lovely.
Check-in and out service was very efficient and friendly. Our King room was in the newer ground floor area - very comfortable and quiet, gentle tones, overlooking a secluded garden area, and with a superbly equipped gigantic bathroom. The service at the Cafe could have been slightly more attentive, but it was Easter and the holiday mood was in swing. The breakfast was not exactly great value for those who like it light, but pleasant nevertheless. Dinner (a la carte) on our first night was average quality, with the pork belly entree the definite star, but the service was attentive and it was a busy night. All in all, a lovely spot to call home while spending three Autumnal days in Canberra.

Room Tip: Room 253 ground floor restful with large bathroom
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on a whim. Having lived in Canberra for many years it seemed like the right thing to do...a trip down memory lane. I have previously enjoyed the high tea, breakfasts, gym and bar. The room was disappointing in so many ways. The rooms are large with plenty of space but poorly designed. The TV is on the side of the bed so difficult to watch... One of the only times I watch TV is in bed in a hotel. Very uncomfortable viewing. The room we had was on the ground floor, it was quite dark even on a sunny morning. I was able to hear the person in the room above walking around. The plumbing was noisy so I heard them go to the toilet and shower. The most frustrating part was the Internet. My own Internet access on my iPad, phone and USB hub did not seem to connect (3 different accounts) ..I understand this is related to the building and is a common complaint. The hotel wifi has a charge. It is time hotels included this as complimentary and especially if the building prevents use of personal Internet access.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

My experience was not terrible, but it was disappointing. When a hotel opts to label itself 5-star (says the website, "the city's finest international 5-star hotel) and classify itself as part of the Park Hyatt family, it sets expectations for customers. My experience on this stay did not live up to those expectations.

I arrived at the hotel around 1p on a weekday. My taxi pulled up, and no doorman or bellman came out to help. The taxi driver and I removed the bags from the boot. I then went up the steps at the entrance by myself and entered the hotel lobby by myself...no assistance with bags, doors, etc.; no staff member was in-sight.

I went to the registration desk. Kudos to the hotel for having a room ready prior to check-in time. Check-in itself, though, was purely transactional ("Name." "Credit card." "Number of keys.").

My room was okay. In my opinion, the public areas of this hotel are elegant, but the rooms need to be renovated. My room's carpet was faded. I had a small balcony, but the door to the balcony was prone to sticking and thus barely able to open. Paint on the doorframe was peeling. The desk chair needed a new covering. The room's lights had an annoying eco-function wherein I would be sitting in the room, or even walking about the room, and all of a sudden all of the room's lights would shut themselves off, leaving only the bedside lamp or desk lamp on. Irritating!

I had access to the Ambassador Lounge during my stay. The lounge itself is nice, with a lovely balcony and a nice room. The spread of canapes in the evening and the breakfast in the morning was very nice; no complaints. The service in the lounge, however, was lackluster. The staff barely interacted with me, other than to tell me that the lounge would be shutting in a few minutes. Plates were not cleared in a timely fashion; each morning I arrived, several tables had been departed by guests but still had dirty plates sitting on them. I entered the lounge at midday (during which coffee/tea is available), and probably half the tables had dirty teacups sitting on them.

The business centre is quite irritating. I needed to print a document, so I emailed it to myself in order to print it in the centre. The centre has two computers...but you have to pay by the minute for access to those computers, even AFTER you have already paid to access the internet in your room! (When I clicked the "already subscribed" button on these computers and attempted to log-in, it wouldn't work, referring me back to the front desk to purchase a prepaid by-the-minute card). I subverted this by simply putting the document on a zip drive and uploading it to the computer.

I checked-out very early due to an early flight. I arrived at the desk, and no one was there to assist me for about 3-4 minutes. That drives me crazy: if you are a five-star property, hire enough staff to have your registration desk manned at all hours. I should not have to start making noises in order for someone in the back office to realize I need assistance. The gentleman who came out to help me had a loosened tie and a black jacket with white stains all over the lapels, as if he'd spilt milk all over himself. Upon checking-out, I realized that I had left my mobile phone in my room. Now, my fault, but at most hotels, this involves simply giving me a key to the room so I can run up and grab it. Despite the fact that I had not left this employee's sights in-between handing in my key and realizing my mobile was in the room--and despite no one else being in the lobby--he refused to re-key the room, instead asking a security staff colleague to meet me at the room and unlock it. Seriously?

I then got to exit the lobby by myself (again, no assistance with bags or doors) and get in a taxi again with no assistance.

Needless to say, whilst not a terrible stay, the hotel did not live-up to its five-star or Park Hyatt billings, nor what I paid to stay there!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank brmusicman
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in a Club room. The room itself was fine - but I found the bed quite firm, but that is a personal thing. Pillows were flat and not comfortable. Bathroom was large, well set out, had all you would need. Large walk in shower with plenty of room.
Staff were polite, helpful, and knowledgable. Could benefit with more front door staff to expedite checkin.
But, why is there still a charge for wifi ( $29 per 24 hours) though in a club room there is free wifi in the Ambassador Lounge? This is very poor for a good hotel in 2013.
And, some furniture in the common areas and the Ambassador Lounge is in desperate need of refurbishment - dirty greasy upholstery, some chairs with upholstery falling off, dirty stained carpets, chipped woodwork. While I know these things happen, they should be seen to quickly, especially considering the price charged,
But overall, considering the lack of quality hotels in Canberra, the Hyatt is OK.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NorthernWanderer0
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

Great Location with good taxi service at door. Wonderful rooms with added verandah/outside area. Luxurious bathrooms and good amenities and service. Fabulous good quality food at the restaurant buffet and well worth the expense.
Would definately stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you request smoking you get a lovely private part of the outside verandah.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I had never been to Canberra, this was the first time. I was at the Hyatt for 6 nights and found the hotel a great base location. Service was good, food and beverage selection was great. As I work globally, I will definite recommend this hotel to my fellow co-workers and friends.

• Stayed March 2013
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Having to queue to book in to a 5 star hotel is something I am not used to.Expecting the same standard as the Park Hyatt in Sydney was naive.No offer was made to show my husband and I to our room,simply vague directions.... Walk straight ahead to the black and white tiles and the lift will be on your left. We had to ask a cleaner to direct us after we became lost.The room was underwhelming- a stale smell pervaded. The bed was very uncomfortable because it sloped significantly to the right . The pillows were the worst we have encountered - too soft and , lacking support . The toilet seat would not stay up. There were dirty marks on the wardrobe ceiling. Phone calls to fix the faulty desk lamp were unanswered. Reception upon check were indifferent to our concerns.
I was looking forward to an exceptional experience in this historic hotel that has been on my bucket list for years. The experience let me down

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple