“Go back in time”

Hyatt Hotel Canberra
Ranked #4 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is one of my favourite hotels anywhere. You could say it is a shame it is in a place like Canberra, but somehow it suits this place (stuck in a bygone era, but not in a bad way).

I just love the atmosphere which is so redolent of the 1930s, from the architecture down to the way the staff dress. The interiors of the rooms are getting a little tired these days, but they have an opulent luxury with tasteful black-marbled bathrooms that are massive in size.

If you must be in Canberra, it location is perfect: close to the lake and the parks surrounding the Art Gallery and National Portrait Museum as well as the trendy areas of Manuka and Kingston. Of course being Canberra, it is still necessary to have a car, but parking is easy in the hotel grounds.

I have always found the staff to be very welcoming and friendly.

I must confess that I visit Canberra just to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: The best rooms look outside the hotel. I also prefer the rooms in the older section of the hotel at...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,642)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We had a weekend at the Hyatt Canberra recently. Had eaten there lots of times and always wanted to stay as it is close to the Gallery etc. It did not disappoint. The standard of service is wonderful, with a couple of members of staff not quite up to scratch. Overall a great place for a break in Canberra. A fair bit more expensive than other options in town though. Look out for packages including breakfast, gallery tix, etc.

Room Tip: Make mention of the fact if you need a room without any stairs. Also, ask not to be placed under ve...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt for two nights for the Balloon Festival, Canberra 100 Years celebration. The staff in the hotel are well informed, helpful and pleasant. The hotel is in a great location and all the gallery, parlimanet house, library etc are in easy walking distance. The hotel is so well designed and the new extension blends beautifully with the original 1920's building. This hotel is my preferred hotel when I stay in Canberra and look forward to returning

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stay here regularly and enjoy the roomy accommodation, great beds and huge bathrooms. I appreciate that my room preferences are accommodated and the business and fitness facilities are great. The room service menu and the Promenade Cafe can cater for any tastes. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the central staircase are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have recently stayed here and specifically asked for a North facing room well in advance. On my arrival I was allocated, with protestation, a South facing room. This was most unsatisfactory.
The 'southern' room was clean and spacious, cool and the bedding very comfortable. The marble bathroom was well equipped with fluffy towels and lovely toiletries. Generous shower head, bliss!
Newspapers were delivered early every day. Bottled water was offered for free.
My 'southern' room was very quiet, but as I wanted to watch the Balloon Festival from my room, the view was totally inadequate. I did see some balloons as they passed over, but not like a North facing room would allow:(

Breakfast was included in the tariff and the Prominade Cafe was another story. The staff pretend they are taking your order, but I am still waiting for the flat white coffee and scrambled eggs I ordered. They don't hear anything you say, it's all illusion and they just do not deliver. I could not believe it. This would not happen in any other 5 Star establishment, it's just not on Hyatt Staff.
Pull up your Plus Fours Hyatt Canberra!

Room Tip: North/West facing room, not an East/South like I got.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Marcothepolopony
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Having done a lot of travel, this hotel provided one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in. The room was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was palatial, done up in white and black marble with a separate shower and tub. The bed was very comfortable, there was a nice large desk for working, and the wifi was free.
The only negatives I had were cell phone reception and lack of parking. It may have been the carrier, but I usually had to go outside to use my phone. There is limited parking, especially if the hotel is having an event in the ballrooms. This can be a real problem if you arrive late, as there is no other nearby parking.

Room Tip: Some rooms include a balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Yes i was back for just a 1 night stay at one of my all time favourite hotels. Arriving at the Hyatt Canberra always makes me smile to myself and feel special. To start with there are the beautiful gardens and at present the old fashioned roses are in bloom. Then there is the concierge team and I still love seeing and having the front door opened for me by a dashing young gent in his plus fours. The interior and foyer are spacious and you can see out to the lawns. I really dislike hotels where you feel boxed in and have no natural light in their reception area. After checking in you can slip off to the side and relax in the gorgeous, comfy wicker chairs on the side verandhas and order real tea in a fine china tea cup. The tea will arrive in a heavy silver teapot and then you can take your time and just dream on .

This stay I was not in my favourite part of the hotel then I guess I was only there for 1 night but without a doubt the best rooms are those housed in the original section of the hotel and can be found to the left and right of Reception. I was in room 134 which was in a part of the hotel I didn't know existed and is not the easiest to find in fact almost maze like to get there. However, when I opend my door, true to form, I was not disappointed, there was my king size bed with freshwhile linen, pillows to sink into, complmentary water, leather lounge chairs and the roomiest of bathrooms . Ahh this was heaven and it was QUIET!!

in the morning I woke to a glorious day so I sent off on a 1 hour walk around part of Lake Burley Griffin. Yes there were lots of people out walking, running and riding but that made it more intereseting, the colors of autumn were around me , the air felt fresh on my skin and the sky warmed to an azure blue.

Ninety minutes later, I had freshened up and was walking across Commonwealth Avenue to my meeting point at the High Court of Australia. In so doing I walked past the National Library and Archives, Questacon, The National Portrait Gallery, Old Parliament House and if time had permitted I could have lost myself in the many new static exhibits that have been installed in this area.

All too quickly my day was done and it was time to collect my bags and head for the airport. Only 24 hours but it was wonderful and i want to go back again for more R& R soon. At a cost of around $400 for room, food, drinks but excluding airfare, taxis etc I think it was money well spent.

So much to see and do and of course the best place to stay Hyatt Canberra

Room Tip: Ask for room in the original section of the hotel and look at the historical photos for a really goo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo