“Great Hotel”

Hyatt Hotel Canberra
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My daughter, friend and I used this hotel as a base for our Canberra visit. Its location - close to the National Art Gallery etc was perfect. The bathroom was sheer luxury, even if we had to go out and buy some bubble bath to make full use of the bath. There was no noise from any of the other rooms, even while sitting on the balcony, and the beds (including the extra one they brought in to make 3 singles) were extremely comfortable. No views because of the trees, but the foliage around the balcony gave it a private feeling.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly, especially the doormen and the receptionist who was happy to tell me the history of the hotel when I wandered down to reception around midnight.

The woman at the pool and gym was very sympathetic of my fear of being seen in a swimsuit for the first time in about 15 years, explained everything I needed to know about the sauna etc and put me completely at ease. Although, walking back through the hotel to my room, through what seemed to be a staff Christmas party with women in lovely evening dresses, after just coming out of a shower with a towel wrapped around my hair, was a little daunting.

Choosing to pay the small cost for valet parking meant my car was ready for us by the time we got down to the front door, and it was beautifully cool - an important consideration in 40C temperatures. Only the valet parking is undercover, the other guest parking is in full sun.

The only real criticism I have is the meals. When we first arrived we wanted a light snack and ordered from that section of the room service menu. No way could any of what we received be considered 'light'. My ham and cheese toasted sandwich had 3 layers of bread, a whole pig, and enough cheese for a fondue. My friends both ordered from the children's menu and were unable to finish their meals because of the size. Goodness knows what a family with young children could possibly eat in this hotel!

The restaurant was over priced for what was a fairly basic al la carte menu. The steak I ordered certainly wasn't rare (perhaps the chef assumed I didn't understand the term).

A full buffet breakfast was included in our booking, and there was certainly a good selection of dishes to chose from, but what was with having to ask for butter? After looking everywhere for a dish of butter, we asked a waitress, who brought out one small potion for each of us. After spreading it on one slice of toast, we asked for more. And could we please have some vegemite? Every jam you could ever want was available, in large bowls and jars, but no vegemite or peanut butter. Our request for vegemite seems to take the staff by surprise, but after several minutes they managed to find some. But could we please have a little more butter to use with it? I had no idea there was a butter shortage in the ACT that necessitated a strict rationing system.

Having said all the above about the food, I should add that we also had access to the Ambassador Lounge and took more than full advantage of it. Beautiful canapés, fresh oysters, any beverage you wanted, friendly staff, and quiet, relaxing areas to read in peace.

All-in-all the Hyatt Canberra is a hotel I'll be happy to stay at again.

Room Tip: A balcony room was well worth the small extra cost.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Hotel Canberra

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Having stayed he recently, out of necessity as other hotels were sold out, and the Hyatt was still available (I wonder why)

I was not disappointed, the standard has not improved, the hotel lives off its laurels, it sad really, I would be firing the management team which are only looking at bonus for themselves not the investing in the hotel.

I've posted a picture of the thread bare towels in the bathroom, disgusting...

Met a client in the tea lounge and had coffee....well it had to be the worst coffee beans ever, must be buying on price. We left them and went into the city where an array of great coffee can be found...

Hotel slipping faster that I first thought.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 88fivestar
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel on numerous visits to Canberra and it never fails to live up to expectations. Sometimes we think we might try somewhere else for a bit of variety but nowhere compares. The staff are fantastic - nothing is ever too much trouble. They have a wonderful balance of being very professional together with being friendly and accessible. They seem to know just what's right for you. We had stayed in a Park Suite and really a small family could have moved in there - it was large and very comfortable and oh so quiet. I just love the bathrooms and enjoy spending quite a bit of time soaking in the large bath. Dining is a treat and food and service are excellent. The gym and spa have all the equipment and facilities you could need and it's great to have an outdoor space to lie in the sun. Looking forward to our return Canberra and no guesses for where we'll be staying!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Having stayed here last year I checked the reviews again before booking this year. I was concerned as there were some bad reviews but the experience we had last year was fantastic so I decided to book again.
On arrival we were greeted by a delightful young man, Patrick, he booked us in quickly and was so polite and friendly. We had breakfast in the restaurant each morning, yes Sunday things were a bit slow but the restaurant was packed. It was still a very pleasant experience, they could have hurried us but they didn't and we had a lovely relaxing breakfast.
The Speakers Bar is a fantastic place to sit and have a quiet drink. The staff in here are wonderful, they remember the guests and are extremely polite and helpful. They make you feel as if you are the only people in the hotel.
Our room was lovely. On Saturday night there was a wedding reception at the hotel and we thought it would be a bit noisy, we were wrong, once we shut the door to our room we could hear nothing and had a fantastic sleep.
We will be back as our daughter is at university in Canberra and we will be visiting her.
We have had two very good experiences at The Hyatt, the staff are all lovely and very polite.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Travelled to Canberra for business and decided to stay a couple of nights extra to do the 'touristy' thing and see some of the historical sights - boy was I glad I chose this place! The hotel setting is superb and the room I stayed in (Park Balcony King) was very spacious. The staff were extremely friendly, provided prompt service at all times and were very well versed with details of tourist hot spots such as Parliament House, galleries and museums all within walking distance of the hotel. Internet was charged at $15/day, however unlike some other hotels I have been at, the speed was irrepressibly fast whether via wi-fi or cable (I work online a lot so this is crucial for me). Had dinner via room service. The options were plentiful and food quality great. Breakfast was at the 'Ambassador Lounge' and continental, with a large array of cold meats, cheeses, cereals, fruits and pastry items to rival any buffet breakfast. Overall, the stay was magnificent and I will be coming back to use this hotel as a base to discover more of the galleries of museums in Canberra (which were also fantastic).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Goh-X
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Having just read Anne2578's review (from Sydney), I cannot believe we stayed in the same hotel at the same time! We also just stayed on the Hyatt Club level and utilised the Ambassador Lounge which, unlike Anne, we found to be outstanding. The 'continental breakfast' is very generous with a vast array of cereals, fruit, cheeses, meats and smoked salmon - if you want a cooked breakfast you order room service or have breakfast in the cafe. It is unrealistic to expect more. The canapés and drinks served during the evening from 6-8 are also extensive and impressive. The real issue are guests who choose to stay in the lounge for pre-dinner drinks in lieu of a meal! We have stayed at a variety of places in Canberra - including the designated 5 star 'Realm' - and our experience proves the Hyatt is THE place to stay. Yes, it is more expensive, but the decor, the service and convenient situation cannot be faulted. It is easy walking distance to the Old Parliament House, the National Gallery, Portrait Gallery and the Burley Griffin. We found the service to be outstanding. We also enjoyed our Club room which was so quiet with a delightful, private balcony area overlooking established trees, not other high rises.
The Hyatt appeals to a particular - more mature, discriminating - demographic; if you enjoy a relaxed, quiet atmosphere and have a keen sense of history, you will enjoy The Hyatt. To describe it as 'old' is a 'cheap shot' which is unfair. We slept very well during our 3 nights without disturbance from any plumbing issues. The staff were very welcoming and helpful.
Our visit this week-end was wonderful; my husband and I enjoyed The Hyatt immensely. The staff were so professional and always pleasant. We will definitely be back. By the way, a tip from the Hyatt reservations staff: always check their website before booking with other sites as they can often be more competitive!

Room Tip: The Club level is more expensive, but it is worth the access to the Ambassadors lounge and the peace...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sally D
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I visited this hotel, expecting fantastic service for the price charged!
We booked a club room , with access to the club room, breakfast was adequate, only continental, we would have thought for the price a hot breakfast would be offered, my husband to find cutlery in the kitchen for our breakfast.
The access to the lounge is okay, but never any teaspoons or any one here to help, the canapés and drinks for the two hours are fine, cheeses when they ran out were not replaced.
We just attempted to eat at the Tea Lounge , told quite abruptly that they are "fully booked", the young woman in charge made us wait while she finished her "business" , they said we could sit for 25 minutes, her attitude was very "haughty". Plenty of tables outside we could have been accommodated at?... She made us feel awful! We had to head to the Ambassador lounge and order room service.
Our club room is adequate in size, the only problem is we were awoken by either toilet flushing or shower running next door, several times at an early hour, yes the hotel is old and that is why we chose is for the ambience but surely the plumbing should have been updated?.. Quite disappointed , Canberra is a wonderful city to visit. It is very sad that ONE staff member can effect the entire stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple