“Devonshire Tea”

Hyatt Hotel Canberra
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed January 15, 2013

The courtyard at the Hyatt Hotel in Canberra is a really pleasant place to have Devonshire Tea.
We each received 3 deliciously warm freshly cooked scones to eat with strawberry jam and double cream. The scones come with either a small pot of tea (a small selection is offered) or coffee.
The service and decor live up to the Hotel 5 star rating.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Totally disappointed, over rated and over priced. Took my partner to Canberra for the weekend to celebrate his birthday and thought we would indulge and stay at the Hyatt. The bed was extremely hard, sheets were far from "crisp" general bedding was very average. Cleanliness in the ambassador lounge was poor. We had booked for 2 nights only stayed for 1 moved to another hotel nearby paid half the price and had an amazing experience. Must say the building is magnificent.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jo D
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This was another visit - and not as good as the last but, if I hadn't stayed before, I probably would think nothing of it. It may have been because it was the very slow period between Christmas and New Year, but the service just wasn't up to Hyatt standard. Reception was slow (both check-in and check-out) and not particularly welcoming. Likewise in the cafe: service was slow, but at least it was friendly. Room was great and the hotel is spotlessly clean and well maintained.

1  Thank 2,093
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I have just had one night at the Hyatt. We have stayed at the hotel many times over the years and we have never had a bad experiance. This stay, we had a deluxe park room, first time, normally stay in the newer rooms at the rear of the hotel. We were not disppointed, room was a good size, with a view over the gardens. Beds are always good and bathroom is large. Only negative was the cobwebs on the windows and on the air conditioning ducts. The buffet breakfast is just about the best around (almost as good as Westin Frankfurt), huge selection of cold and hot food, pastries and egg station, if you wish. Good flat whites as well.
Just before we left, my wife had a coffee in the lounge - $6.50 is just a bit steep !!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a bed and breakfast package as the breakfast is very expensive otherwise.
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

A great classy Art Deco hotel - feels like a country club house. We found the service excellent - check in was a little slow but a group arrived in front of us - stuff happens! The rooms are clean and large as are the bathrooms. The gardens and bar area are nice. Room service was expensive and the food ok - the only area that wasn't up to scratch. The prices were 5* - the food was 3*. You're walking distance from Parliament (new & old), parks and Lake Burley Griffin. A great characterful place to stay in Canberra

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I arrived early from Melbourne and were treated to an early check in. We had a few hours to kill before a wedding we were attending so we went and grabbed a coffee from the lounge area. We sat outside and it felt as if we were in the middle of the country - beautiful green grass with trees and flowers. A perfect place to relax. Our only complaint would be that the coffee was dreadful and the gardeners just popped out of nowhere and we were forced to leave due to my boyfriends nasty hay fever.

We then decided to go into town for lunch, and all of the staff members were willing to help. I find that at some hotels with high star ratings the staff members are forced to be stuffy and are reluctant to chat, whereas at the Hyatt in Canberra everyone seemed down to earth and willing to chat - again aiding the country-like feel.

Our wedding later that evening served only a few canapés, so on return to our room we ordered room service - it came promptly and was the perfect (almost) midnight snack.

In all the room was clean, the bed was very comfortable, the staff were fantastic - would we stay again? Absolutely.

Room Tip: We stayed in the basic Park King room and it was large and comfortable enough for one evening.
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I'd stay here again, don't get me wrong, but i'd call it 4.5 stars, not 5. The rooms were large (the large bathrooms might have made it seem more this way).

The service wasn't quite right. My check in might have been done by a trainee, otherwise I can't explain why she was paying little attention to me and constantly looking at what her friends were doing behind the scenes. I asked her to pass amessage on to my partner who would be a few minutes behind me (to let him know our room no.) instead he waited in the near empty lobby for a half hour.

I'd recommend getting a room with breakfast. The spread is great, plus a la carte is just as expensive as buffet. I'm pretty sure room plus breakfast for two is cheaper than room plus two paying for buffet separately.

So the room was large but old, the service wasn't great, breakfast was expensive, and there's no shops close by. But returning to Canberra, I'd stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012