“What you see is not what you get...”

Hyatt Hotel Canberra
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed February 7, 2008

We stayed 9 days in the Hyatt hotel in November 2007. The place looks great as as far as it concerns the old building. The general feeling is spacious and full atmosphere but the rooms are old fashion and if you are unlucky (as we were) you stay in a room without any fresh air (there are rooms with and without a French balcony). The staff is well willing but not at all fulfilling the 4/5 stars expectations of this place. Enviromental friendly? The hotel claims they are but it took 4 days to repair a leaking tab. Conclusion as a whole: dissapointing

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank JAEMH

Reviewed January 17, 2008

I stayed at the Hyatt on two separate occasions in December 2007 and both times I was in a refurbished room with LCD tv etc. The rooms are great - fantastic king bed, huge marble bathroom with really deep bath, nice work desk, etc. The first stay I was woken in the morning by other people's doors opening and closing, but the second time it was very quiet.

Service was pretty good, although we had to wait a long time to check in the second time I stayed. But whilst waiting two different members of staff came up to us to apologise for the delay so it was OK.

I would definitely come back to stay again. It's a beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emgem
Reviewed January 9, 2008

Great spacious rooms. Friendly and professional service. Location is central but in Canberra you need a car for everything. Breakfast buffet was excellent. Great value with a family.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed January 6, 2008

We stayed 4 nights including NYE and had the most peaceful stay. Booked on line through the website and joined the Hyatt gold passport for free as mentioned by another reviewer and had a great room on the 3rd floor. There are only 4. It was very quiet as we requested, we had an early check in and 2 free drinks. Car was perfectly safe in the carppark that surorunds hotel so no need to pay $19 valet. Occupancy was only 40% as is at this time of year and that was fine for us. Great seafood buffet for lunch for $33 at The Promenade Cafe but watch the menu as prices changed when we were there for same thing !! The hotel is very elegant and refined with a lovely tea area. We felt the Club Ambassador for an extra $50 a head was not worth it as we like to go places for breakfast. Ate in Manuka, Dickson and Kingston. A very beautiful establishment with lovely staff and beautiful amenities. The room was great, best king bed, great plasma and bathroom was lovely. Would love to return one day. Well worth the $220 per night.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2007

The Art Deco building is lovely with great public rooms and a pleasant garden area. It has been sympathetically extended and the interior architecture is stunning. But the rooms definitely need updating and redecorating. I asked for a quiet room as I wasn't well while attending a conference in the hotel. The room was quiet but it wasn't the luxurious 5-star room that was advertised. The carpet was stained as was the couch; the paintwork was chipped and so was some of furniture. It felt old and in need of redecoration. The black and white bathroom was beautiful but even that needing updating - there was a crack in the basin and a chip on the bath. Don't believe the photos on their website. The furniture in my room was in an older style and there was no LCD TV - just an ordinary TV in one of those cabinets with folding doors.
The staff were welcoming and very helpful but the room service wasn't good. I rang and ordered breakfast from the a la carte menu the night before but it never turned up even after a phone call the next morning. The next day I tried ordering room service breakfast from the card in the room. It was 45 minutes late and only arrived after I rang and asked for it - and when it did come, some of the food such as the bacon was missing and there was no butter for my toast which didn't matter as it was burnt.
The hotel is situated on its own away from the city although there is a good bus service that stops just along from the front of the hotel - you can get into the city for $3 a trip. However I wouldn't recommend this hotel unless you ensure you get one of the good rooms especially at the price.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Ladybentley
Reviewed November 25, 2007

When you book a Hotel based upon past experiences with other hotels in a chain, Hyatt, Hilton, Westin etc, you come to expect a consistent level of service and amenities. As such,and as a Gold Passport member, we booked a room at the Hyatt Canberra on a recent visit to the Nation's Capital.
For a start we drove up to the entrance and we were unable to get a park to drop off our bag as there were many cars parked and unattended so we were forced to find a park in the general car park some 150 metres away. In this car park there were several spots available but they had broken glass on the gravel surface which was somewhat off-putting.
On getting to the entrance we were warmly greeted by a doorman who carried our bag up the steps and dropped it off inside wishing us a nice visit. Check-in was OK, but no explanation of facilities or dining options. We were provided a voucher for a free drink but on trying to redeem it we were told that no bars were open until 4.00pm. What.....I am a thirsty traveller and have just driven for 3 hours. So we take ourselves and bag off to our room which is quite nice and has a nice balcony, but no cleaner has visited it for a long time.
Later, talking one of the staff, we find out that there is a secure car park under the hotel, but comes at a cost of $20 per night, it would have nice to have offered the choice. We inquired about the broken glass in the car park and he stated that they had some problems back a month or so. And it is still there??
Whilst several previous reviewers have enjoyed the old world charm of the hotel, for me I expected the Hyatt quality service that I have enjoyed many times previously.
As always the big test of a hotel is would I return or would I look elsewhere next visit to Canberra, based on this visit, I would investigate what else is available.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Longdrive
Reviewed November 17, 2007

I recently stayed at Hyatt Canberra for the first time in several years back in September. Since then I have stayed twice more. There is much about this property that is impressive - the friendliness of the staff - in particular Matt the Bellman - the expanse and tranquility of the grounds, the architecture of the building, and so on.

I generally find this property a very comfortable place to stay but the inconsistency of the Hotel is quite amazing.

My most recent visit was last week for a couple of nights in a Park Suite. The room was a curious configuration of a standard hotel room massive space attached next door that is given over to a living room with a full size bathroom to boot. I say curious because the living room is pretty much only half furnished - a couple of dining table style chairs and a small sofa grouped around a small low casual table and a refrigrated credenza with a small flat panel LCD are at one end of the room. There is basically nothing at the other end - no dining or meeting table, no large or wing-back chairs, ottomans or side tables...nothing. If you are alone then the sofa offers a comfortable place to recline, but if you are stayng there with your partner then you'll have to take turns on the sofa because there is nothing else that resembles comfort. It all looks rather silly and simply amplifies the lack of furnishings in the room. The reason it is so sparse is because a wall bed drops into the space.

When I checked in, the room was very musty - especially the lounge area. The odour was quite unpleasant and after an hour or so my eyes looked like smashed jaffas. I was also sharing my $700 per night accommodation with several blow-flies. When I called to see if I could move to another room I was simply told, no. I didn't really care if the room was a lower grade, I just wanted something that did not smell like it had rotting carpet. In spite of the fact that I knew there were plenty of upgrade and downgrade options available (as I said, I didn't care where I went) I was simply told, no, it can't be done. Instead, the offer was made to send Housekeeping up to spray the flies and freshen the room.

Right about now I was beginning to suspect that Management was aware of the odour problems in the room and knew that once the air conditioning has been run for 2 or 3 hours the mustiness is not as bad. About 20 minutes later a guy arrived at the my door with a can of Mortein in one hand a bottle of pink "smelly stuff" in the other. This got rid of the flies pretty quick (they all died on my windowsills!) and the pink stuff covered up the smell long enough for the airconditioning to get the mustiness under control - the only problem is it came back every time I turned the air conditioning off. In the end it wasn't all that bad. In many regards I was more disappointed by the fact that management never did follow-up with me to see if everything was ok. But you see, that's Hyatt Canberra - very relaxed and very laid back in the way it does things.

The Emabassadors lounge is a credit to this property. Staff take the time to talk with their guests and the service is fabulous . Breakfast on the balcony is a pleasure and there is an unhurried ambience about the lounge that is joy to experience.

I've noticed a few comments on noise. I have to say that on all three of my recent visits, I have found the peace and quiet of this property highly noticable. Because it is spread out over a large area and doesn't go any higher than 4 floors, there is none of that door banging and the sounds of a large multi-storey that one so often hears in tower-style hotels.

Personally, I reckon the Hyatt Canberra is pretty good place to stay. The volatility of its rates is quite annoying and some aspects of its management style offers inprovement opportunity...but all up I reckon it's got a lot to offer and I'd happily make it my first choice of accommodation in Canberra.Cheers - kevin

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business