“Good hotel - handy to Manuka”
Review of Diplomat Hotel

Diplomat Hotel
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Blueys Beach, Australia
“Good hotel - handy to Manuka”
Reviewed May 7, 2010

Being a traveller attending business meetings, I need a home away from home and the Diplomat Hotel provides that. It is not flash and new, but the staff always go out of their way to be helpful and the rooms and facilities are certainly adequate.

The free parking is a bonus and their rates are always competitive. The Hotel is in a good location not far from Manuka and Kingston and the Government Departments where I do my work.

They could do with a bit of investment in their carpet - it is worn in places, but most certainly clean. Cleanliness is always a number one priority for me and the housekeepers are friendly and very reliable.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank CaptFeathersword76
DiplomatCanberra, Public Relations Manager at Diplomat Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2010
Dear CaptFeathersword76,

We are pleased you found the Diplomat to be good value. We aim to provide a comfortable and stylish, yet still affordable, option for travellers seeking reliable 4.5 star accommodation.

It is rewarding to hear that our staff were so helpful during your stay - we have a great team of Front Office and Wait Staff and we try to employee people with the right personality to relate to, and assist, our guests.

Your review mentions our carpets. I am pleased to advise that our new carpet has been ordered and will be arriving at the hotel within the coming weeks.

Good quality housekeeping is a big focus at the Diplomat. Our General Manager has previously worked as Executive Housekeeper at several hotels and has spent much time ensuring our Room Attendants are well-trained and committed. I will pass on your positive comments to her and to our entire housekeeping staff.

Thanks again for your review and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Brisbane
Reviewed April 22, 2010

Visited Canberra during the Easter break on a short notice and the Diplomat was one of the hotels still available offering a room with 2 double beds. 2 nights with 4 people in one room (no breakfast included) cost us 590$ - so not really cheap. After all it's a 4.5 star hotel!
The lock to the bathroom was broken - not ideal when you have 4 adults sharing the room. And housekeeping would not fix it during our stay. Long black hair (we all have short hair and none has black hair) was found in the shower cubicle and on the bed sheets! The carpet in front of the shower was stained.
No car parking was available on the hotel ground - only street parking was offered.
TV reception was non existing - but yes, we had free internet!
I woke up after the first night with bug bite marks on my back, so we asked if we could have another room. Which was not possible as the hotel was fully booked. So were all other hotels in the area. No refund could be offered as we had booked through the net. But we were offered complementary breakfast.
On both mornings we had to ask to refill the coffee dispenser, refill the milk, and no cold meat or cheese is on offer for breakfast which is normally $20.00 a person.
For the price we had to pay I would have expected a better service and better standard.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank mbj52
Dear mbj52,

Thankyou for taking the time to join Tripadvisor and post your review of our hotel. We feel that it is very important for travellers to be able to openly and honestly review properties and provide advice to fellow tourists. We appreciate and feel rewarded by positive comments, and use negative feedback as an opportunity to reassess our service levels and identify areas for improvement.

I am very disappointed to hear that some aspects of your experience at our hotel were unsatisfactory. Your concerns regarding our Housekeeping are very alarming and have been addressed with our Executive Housekeeper. Yours is the first report of bed bugs that we have ever had; our Room Attendants employ best practice guidelines in cleaning our rooms and it is surprising and disappointing to hear of your unpleasant experience.

Our Buffet Breakfast has recently undergone some changes and now offers a much wider selection than previously. I have also discussed the problems you faced with the buffet not being restocked as quickly as it should with our Restaurant Manager who will ensure that our Breakfast Staff are appropriately trained to ensure these problems are avoided.

Thanks again for reviewing the Diplomat; your feedback is appreciated and has been taken on board. Please do not hesitate to contact our management team if we can be of any further assistance.
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed December 5, 2009

This hotel is suite for business purposes. However the service pretty good and they have free wifi and parking.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shintashmily
Brisvegas
Reviewed November 6, 2009

We stayed in a room on the 2nd floor with two double beds - myself, my husband and my two kids. We booked online and were pleased with how smoothly check-in went and enjoyed nice touches like free parking, free fruit and free newspapers.

The building is starting to age a bit, but the furnishings were all in good condition and very clean.

We didn't eat at the hotel but noticed the restaurant and bar seemed pretty well attended at nighttime.

From the hotel it is a bit of a walk to any shops or anything, but a very short drive to places like Parliament House, the art gallery and the War Memorial which was what we were in town for. There was also a really nice path around Canberra's big lake which was only a short walk from the hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank Martha-Madness
Aussie
Reviewed October 24, 2009

This is just another typical Canberra hotel, yet certain things are done much better.

For example, they have real milk in each room that is restocked daily - very, very rare! The staff are also very friendly and don't look down at their guests. As a business traveller, I find this a really refreshing change.

Sure the hotel is getting a little on the old side and could probably do with some renovations, but the rooms are spotless (also a refreshing change) and the staff are real human beings.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank majikat2001
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2009

Stayed here for a week in the middle of winter. Booking on the hotel website about 2 days beforehand when many other hotels were booked out or just too expensive, I got a spa suite for $200pn. Paid about the same money the week before for a room with a view at Rydges Lakeside in Canberra. Definitely a step down! However it was actually a suite - had a living room with leather lounges and flat screen telly, bar with barfridge and sink, and separate bedroom with king bed, flat screen telly, attached large bathroom. Also the internet was free and I didn't have any problems connecting with the supplied details.

I was happy to find real milk - not UHT! - in the little fridge for the tea and coffee. Very unusual but I hate UHT so I appreciated it. The minibar was quite reasonably priced. I got room service several nights, which was a bit painful. You have to ring the front desk to book a meal and it can take a while to get through - they frequently don't answer even if you let it ring for 5 mins. This was particularly annoying when I was starving after working late. One night I thought they'd forgotten my order as it took nearly 2 hours to come. That's bad - especially as it is in a residential area and there are no handy little cafes next door. The food itself wasn't flash but the servings were generous.

Note also that this hotel is on the edge of a major traffic roundabout so there is always traffic noise. Just leave the windows closed. I had a little reverse cycle air con in my room, which was very warm as a heater.

Although it was about 0 degrees overnight and sometimes very misty, I did walk to and from work at Parl House each day - basically straight down the avenue, takes about 35-45 mins. Manuka cafe strip is about half way to Parl House, with a Coles that is open till midnight if you want supplies, and many cafes at Manuka open for breakfast.

Room was nice and large and the daily cleaning was thorough but overall the hotel is quite jaded and dated - it was probably sparkling in the 80s and hasn't had an update since. The staff can be a bit hit and miss. I'm not sure why it retains the 'boutique' tag as although it is small, it's not really boutique in style or service. I would stay here again depending on the price. It's far from the worst hotel I've ever stayed at but struggling to compete with more recent properties.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Mr_Henry_B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2009

As a regular business traveler to Canberra I have stayed at a number of hotels and until this most recent stay the Diplomat was my hotel of choice; but no longer. On previous trips I had recognised that the Diplomat charged a premium for what was always a questionable 4.5 star standard but the staff and its relative centrality to all that I needed to do in Canberra offset this to a degree. But something has changed, either that or I have actually bothered to sit up and take notice of the hotels many failings.

In summary these failings include but are not limited to: tired decor; old furnishings; cold rooms (even with the AC running); sagging mattresses; average food; overpriced; lack of a 24/7 desk (the hotel is locked from 2300 hrs and unless you bang very loudly on the front door hotel access is not guaranteed), and indifferent staff. As yuo can see far from a 4.5 star hotel.

Have fun and don't say you haven't been warned!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business