“Reckon this one is going broke”

Diplomat Boutique Hotel
Ranked #12 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed mid-week and the hotel appeared deserted. The property advertises free wi-fi but I couldnt get a tablet to connect. The only help from reception - wait 5 min then try again and if it doesnt work there is nothing we can do. It didnt work.

Property is supposed to have Foxtel - no channels were available on the television so I suspect the bill hadnt been paid. They claim to have a gym - one old step machine and an antique bike.

I chose to dine in an ordered a basic steak and steamed vegetables...they couldnt make the two dishes arrive together.....because "it was taking a long time for the water to boil". In the end they took the vegetables (that arrived after I had finished the steak)...off the bill. AND there was only one other guest in the restaurant.....

Cant recommend this one - steer well clear.

Room Tip: I got upgraded and it was simply the same room with more bare floor....not worth paying for.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Elizabeth G
Rowland F, General Manager at Diplomat Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Hello Elizabeth,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the hotel.

With the looming election, August was a very quiet month for the ACT which, coupled with the hotel ownership change in mid August, is likely what gave the impression that the hotel was deserted.

Clearly there were issues during your stay which I would like to apologise for. As the new Manager of the hotel I would like to assure you that we are committed to improving the guest experience across the board. As a part of this we are already auditing all procedures and service levels and have also already begun improving facilities such installing new SMART TVs throughout the hotel.

Without sounding cliche, I would like to thank you for your feedback. As a new manager to the hotel I have found your comments very helpful in adjusting our offering to future guests.

Regards

Rowland Fischer

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is the 2nd time for me at the diplomat, this time travelled with the kids. Had a room comprising of 2 queen beds. Beds comfortable and room big enough. Free wifi good for iPods and iPads. Ate dinner in hotel restuarant, found the food good and value for money. Staff very good , just like last visit. The diplomat is a little dated but if you overlook that it is good value. Definitely stay again

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MrDigby100
Rowland F, General Manager at Diplomat Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

The hotel has been under new management for almost a month now and we aim to offer even more value for money while we update and improve on the service and facilities at the hotel.

I hope to see you around the hotel again some time soon

Regards

Rowland Fischer

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I recently booked a number of people into this hotel for a weekend event. The rooms are average but the service is very good. So I got well priced rooms with breakfast with helpful staff who contributed to a good weekend event. Guests were far enough away to stay at the hotel for the event but close enough to Manuka, Griffith Kingston if they really had to escape. I would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jane2901
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is an older building with decor to match. The room was clean, and large, with a balcony. We had the spa suite, and the room needed airing as it smelt a bit musty on arrival.
The restaurant downstairs was convenient and offered enough choice on the menu. It was overpriced as hotel restaurants usually are, but we were glad to use it for the convenience of not having to go out again after a long drive.
Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rowland F, Manager at Diplomat Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Hello,

Thank you for providing feedback on the hotel. I am very pleased that you would stay with us again.

The hotel has had a recent change of ownership and I am pleased to report that, with a number of changes already underway, the new owners are committed to improving on an already well established hotel.

I hope that you have the chance to experience these changes when you next visit the ACT

All the best

The Diplomat

Reviewed August 31, 2013

A good hotel, in terms of facilities and room size, comfort and cleanliness. Comfortable bed, large rooms, reasonable gym, nicely appointed restaurant, friendly staff. The location is also good if you don't mind a short walk to the restaurants of Manuka. However some of the details are letting the place down a bit. The wi-fi refused to work (wrong password it said despite staff assurances to the contrary) on a device that has worked perfectly everywhere else, the foxtel channels listed in the guide in the room did not work, the ABC was not available on the tv, and it was a quiet night in the restaurant with pretty ordinary service.

Room Tip: Not a lot of difference between the rooms from what I could see
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We knew going in the Canberra was a very expensive place to stay and the Diplomat Hotel certainly didn't disappoint. It wasn't so much the price but the fact you didn't really get much for your money. The internet was spotty at best and when I called the front desk I was told "well we have a lot of kids staying here right now so they probably crashed the system" Not an acceptable answer and no real interest on the staffs part to remedy it. The room was old fashioned and in need of an upgrade again nothing terribly wrong just poor for the price. The breakfast was way overpriced for what you got. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere for breakfast
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mhap
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I stayed here with a colleague for a business trip. The staff at Diplomat were SO accommodating, and it really made our experience great. We mentioned that we were a charity and they gave us a great price for a room and for use of the conference room as well. The conference room was setup beautifully - paper, pens, lollies, chairs. Wonderful!

We were given late checkout (without extra charge) - and the staff met every request that we had. After our participants left for lunch, we were surprised to see that the hotel cafe wasn't open. Whoops! But the staff accommodated us and served us with some delicious soup in our room. They really did everything they could to look after us.

Our only downside was the beds. It was very cold at night, and we didn't have adequate blankets. If I was staying here again (which I would without question), I'd ask for an extra blanket or two so I didn't get so cold.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Just ask for an extra blanket!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business