“Overpriced, old hotel - not very nice”
Review of Mercure Canberra

Mercure Canberra
Ranked #24 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed December 18, 2009

This hotel wasn't terrible, but only because the rooms and bathrooms were clean. The rest of the hotel is horrible and should be knocked down. Breakfast was terrible: cutlery, plates and glasses were not clean and there was little selection. Also this hotel isn't convenient at all. In summary I would say this hotel typifies all of Canberra, dated, overpriced, and very poor value for money. Having said this I've spent a lot of time in Canberra and haven't found any hotel better value, and several places worse value. I wouldn't stay here again but know I will have as much trouble finding something good next time.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrMatthew
GM_OLIMS, General Manager at Mercure Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2009

Dear MrMatthew

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us. I was most dissapointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. The hotel is constantly upgrading the facilities and rooms and recently have completed new carpeting in all the hotel rooms. The heritage wing has recently undergone a $1.5m refurbishment and we are all very pleased with the result. I will raise the issue of breakfast with the F&B manager and ensure that we are providing the service and quality that is expected. Once again thank you for passing on your feedback and I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Olims in the near future.

Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Mercure Canberra

Reviewed December 5, 2009

This is my second review as this has been my second stay at the hotel.

After debating whether to stay in Canberra for an extra day I chose to stay overnight at the Olims Hotel as the price was right even though I did book it almost at last minute.

Again the service and staff when checking in (even though it was busy) and out was excellent. My room was spotless (IE: clean) and quite even though it was located next to the Ainslie Ave and not far from the intersection of Limestone Ave.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 4, 2009

This used to be a great hotel, but that time has long since passed. We arrived, even had a reservation number but they could not find our reservation. We did not have to worry, they still had rooms available, but the staff acted like it could not possibly be their fault and we had to be happy that they still had a room. Even though I had a reservation number in my hand, I was to blame. Typical. We stayed in one of their loft rooms, and even though it was clean, it was never renovated. The only new thing placed in the room was the nice tv, but everything else looked outdated. Even the nice garden in the courtyard had seen better days. We thought Canberra was boring and sadly Olims could not lift our spirits. I think it must be possible to find better hotels in the Canberra Area.
On the plus side, the location(to the boring towncentre) was good and the breakfast was satisfying.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Stayed 1 night as part of a stopover. I wanted to be close to the city centre as I knew parking would be difficult in the city. The Olims is at the far end of Ainslie Ave so walking to the city centre was not an option anyway.

I checked in the late afternoon and was not advised that breakfast was included. I had to call the reception to find out what time and how to get to the breakfast room.

The room was quite pleasant with a flat screen TV that needed 2 remote controls to work. Note the volume control is on the 1st remote control and I think my next door neighbor had the same problem as I did as I had a choice of loud or no volume when using the designated 2nd remote control.

Other than that, the room had the usual tea & coffee facilities, bathroom toiletries and fluffy towels. There was an in-room safe which I did not use. I did not use the other hotel facilities so I am unable to comment.

The breakfast was quite pleasant with 2 young men serving and cleaning up. I requested for fried eggs and it was immediately delivered. There was a nice selection of fruits although the bacon was a bit dry from sitting too long in the bain marie.

The room had a “lovely” view of the water tanks. If I had stayed more than 1 night I would not be happy with the outlook.

Checking out was not a pleasant experience. As the reception lady was attending to one lady, I hovered behind the guest waiting for my turn. There was no one else, guests or staff, around. Being the polite person I waited patiently with my wallet and key card in hand. At one stage even the reception nodded to me and mouthed “sorry” for the time she was taking with the other guest.

However I was really annoyed when another guest walked up to the counter and the lone receptionist immediately called someone from the backroom to attend to this guest while I was still waiting for my turn. I waited until a staff was ready to attend to me and objected to the manner I was treated. The receptionist claimed that she thought I was looking at brochures or waiting for another guest. This is a bit of a stretch when she did see me there for a while. While I was speaking to the receptionist, the other staff member was standing around pretending not to see me, looking downcast.

I then asked the other staff member whether he was the manager and he said he was. It was a very disappointing for the manager not to step up immediately to intervene or apologise until I spoke to him. Although both did say it was a mistake and apologised, I felt that if I did not speak up, the matter would have been ignored.

Based on the checkout experience, I would not stay at the Olims and would advised friends accordingly.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Love_Life_Sydney
GM_OLIMS, General Manager at Mercure Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2009

Dear Frequent_FlyerSydney

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your experiences while at the Olims Canberra. I was most dissapionted to read that you were not satisfied with the service you received. I will dicuss your comments with the Front Office Manager to ensure that all our guests feel well looked after. I note that you do mention that you will not return, I do hope that you may give the Olims team another try as what you experienced is certainly not indicitive of the service we try and provide for all our guests.

Reviewed November 8, 2009

OLIMS HOTEL, CANBERRA appears to be quite a reasonable three star hotel. The staff are pleasant and helpful. Rooms are clean and have the usual facilities. There is an attractive courtyard which many rooms, including the one I had, overlook. The bistro is no better or worse than many of this type and anyone expecting more should head off into the city centre. Continental breakfast is included and is probably the best choice as the cooked portion is prepared in advance rather than individually.

Unfortunately, most of my stay on Saturday afternoon (7th November) was marred by a wedding reception located in the courtyard. Although resting guests and wedding receptions aren’t always incompatible, they are when a commercial disco unit is employed at unrelentingly full-bore. I did try to persuade management to reduce the unmusical noise to more acceptable levels but the token effort still resulted in wall reverberation. The row continued past the appointed time of 5:00 p.m. but to give the management their due they did at least shut it down by 5:35 p.m. after I said I would require a change of room.

You may be lucky enough not to coincide your stay with a similar event in which case you should have a pleasant stay at reasonable value. Otherwise, it’s hell and I’m inclined to pay the extra and stay at Crowne Plaza where there’s no possibility of repeating the experience.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
GM_OLIMS, General Manager at Mercure Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2009

Dear JoePublicSydney

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback regarding your stay with us. From time to time we do host weddings in the courtyard. Generally they are happy occasions and cause minimal disruption to our house guests. Unfortunately this particular group did go outside what is acceptable noise levels. I have discussed this with the Conference department and my Duty Managers to ensure that this does not occur again. On behalf of the team at Olims thank you for letting us know your thoughts and we hope that we can welcome you back to the Olims Canberra in the near future.

Reviewed November 5, 2009

I stayed here for 1 night on a business trip in October 2009. This is an older style property (established in 1940's or 1950's I guess) and you can see that it's dated from the building facade. I could also tell from the "thin walls" - a guest in the next room had a loud coughing fit at 6 am and it sounded like he was in my room. Fortunately I was already awake (up early working on a report) so it didn't bother me much.

Positives are that the rooms were very clean and well maintained with new furniture (although in an older style), massive flat screen TV and broadband internet ($25/day). The location was slightly out of the way but I had a hire car so that didn't bother me. Buffet breakfast was adequate.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
GM_OLIMS, General Manager at Mercure Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2009

Dear MelbourneBronco

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. The Hotel was built in 1927 and was one of the first 5 hotels built for the influx of government employees as canberra become the nations capital. I was dissapointed to see that you would not reccomend the hotel as we do strive to deliver excellent service and an excellent product. I will pass on your feedback to the team and I hope that we would have the oppurtunity to welcome you back to the Olims Hotel in the future.

Reviewed October 31, 2009

From the moment we arrived for our five night stay we found the staff to be friendly, helpful and courtious. We used the Bar and Bistro area and found the experience enjoyable, the facilities clean and relaxing. We found the Hotel well situated for what we had in mind to do.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
GM_OLIMS, General Manager at Mercure Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2009

Dear MozzieMoo

On behalf of the team at Olims, thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback. We were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.