“Superb staff, old world building.”
Review of Mercure Canberra

Mercure Canberra
Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Pune, India
“Superb staff, old world building.”
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Extremely helpful staff. Went out of the way to help me when my trip to Canberra almost became a disaster as our taxi failed to turn up. Mr Scott was amazing. It's a five star for staff. Thank you again Mr Scott.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Scott G, Front Office Manager at Mercure Canberra, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and provide such positive feedback. It is fantastic to hear you enjoy your experience at Mercure and we were able to assist when the taxi failed to turn up. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Canberra. Kind regards, Daryll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Brisbane
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This is one of Canberra's gems - heritage building with an interesting history, but recently renovated and comfortable and convenient. Parking was easy and free, staff were helpful, the room was quiet and lovely with a great view, and the restaurant was fabulous. Easy to walk in to Canberra centre. Definitely plan to stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank BrisbaneAlison
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 12, 2013

This place is a resort style establishment and is quite clean. My room was "upgraded" to an partment with a downstairs living area and an upstairs bedroom. Sounds nice but the view was really uninspiring, as opposed to many other rooms at the same hotel. I have never really understood why such rooms are considered as a good thing. One has to make frequent up-down trips for little things. Besides, the wardrobes are invariably upstairs so one has to lug the luggage upstairs. The work area is usually downstairs so if the laptop has been plugged downstairs and you remember an urgent mail in the middle of the night, better traipse down, mate!

The bathroom is overall ok but there was this inadequate shower barrier in the form of a 2 feet wide glass panel. Who gave this idea to the hotel that such a glass panel is good? It doesn't prevent water spillage at all and one has to deal with a wet bathroom floor later on- a classic victory of form over substance.

And then there was the internet- like a fool I plugged in their cable as I needed some fast internet. Most hotels I have been to charge ONE fee for both the cabled and wifi internet. i discovered too late that if I also needed to use the wifi, I needed to buy another subscription and it was 25 australian dollars a day! So I had to leave my laptop plugged in downstairs and make up-down trips everytime something urgent popped up from the office. Besides, I could not use iPad. Even then, things would have been bearable if the cabled internet was indeed a fast one. No such luck. The feeling of being ripped off is something I can really do without.

Then I decided to have dinner. The restaurant was full but at least there was plenty of place in the Bistro. i ordered a chicken schnitzel and for good measure asked them to add pepper sauce. I was astounded to find they could create a version of pepper sauce with no taste at all! There was no good taste, no bad taste, just no taste. How is it even possible? How can they be doing it? Do they subject the peppers to some magic radiation? Do they order the pepper sauce from England? Even adding salt and pepper from outside did not improve the taste at all and today I also have a sore throat though it may not have anything to do with the schnitzel.

The staff was courteous though and very helpful in matters like calling a taxi.

All in all this hotel left a bad aftertaste. I hope I never have to go here again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask in advance of the room view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Scott G, Front Office Manager at Mercure Canberra, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you for staying at our hotel on your trip to Canberra and for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that the meals in the restaurant were not to the hotel normal standards when you dined with us and for the issues with the internet service; please accept my apologises. I would like to discuss the issues in more detail with you, please message us via the tripadvisor. I look forward to hearing from you and hope we can welcome you back to Mercure on your next visit to Canberra. Regards, Daryll
Broulee Nsw
Reviewed December 12, 2013

On arrival I was dismayed to find my reservation had been cancelled. I have recorded details in a separate email sent to Accor's complaints dept. I am waiting for a reply. However, staff at Mecure were helpful and were able to give me and my disabled husband another room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel and choosing to stay with us. I am sorry that your booking had been cancelled; please let me know if I can assist in any way with the follow up. I am delighted that we were able to organise a room for your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Canberra. Kind Regards, Daryll
Melbourne - Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2013

The hotel itself was a beautiful building. Friendly staff. Lovely places to sit in the courtyard with a water fountain and plenty of trees. We stayed in room 307. Its close to the parking at the back which was very handy bringing in your luggage. Towels were thick, beds were comfy. Even though we were on the ground floor we had a little balcony with 2 chairs and a small table, overlooking the car park but because there were plenty of shrubs we could not see the car park itself and instead it was lovely and cool. Magpies would sometimes visit too. Only 15 minute walk to the War memorial and Canberra Central Shopping Centre. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: This room had a shower for the handicapped or wheelchair users. No glass panels or curtains.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel and choosing to stay with us. I am delighted that you had time to appreciate our beautiful gardens and relax in them. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Canberra. Regards, Daryll