“Disappointing stay”
Review of Mercure Canberra

Mercure Canberra
Ranked #24 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights recently and what could have been a really nice stay was marred by a couple of things that really were not good enough.
I'll start with the positives: Good amount of parking facilities (although it is open air and not secure underground parking), Bed was comfortable.

And the downsides... Room was very small, which is fine if you're out and about like we were a lot. Room was very noisy at night from the music playing in the hotel bar. And the big negative was when we happened to be in the room when the cleaners came to make up our room and we asked for fresh coffee cups, which I assumed would be on the cart with the dirty ones then taken to the dishwasher to be cleaned. Instead, he took the cups and pulled a dirty sponge out of his bucket (with all the other sponges!) and went into the bathroom and rinsed them out with the dirty sponge and handed them back to me. After that I felt a bit sick about having used the cups at all. I am a very clean person with a science background so maybe it's my knowledge of bacteria that just made me focus on this point of uncleanliness, but it made me wonder what other revolting practices the hotel used in it's day to day. So after I saw that I was glad to be leaving the next day. My husband thought it was hilarious and an over reaction on my part, but what can I say - I like things clean!
Hotel bar was also pretty average, we had a drink here one night and when we saw the food coming out were glad we hadn't ordered anything.
If you have a car then the location is fine, but it's not really close to restaurants or any action, so we had to drive pretty much everywhere (except war memorial which is a 5 min walk away).
Overall, I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Globe_Trotter_200910
Scott G, Front Office Manager at Mercure Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Thank you for staying at our hotel on your trip to Canberra and for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that standard room was not ideal for your stay at the hotel and the service provided by the housekeeping staff was well below the standards we set at the hotel; please accept my apologises. We have shared your feedback with the Housekeep Manager and they taken steps to make sure this would not reoccur. I hope we can welcome you back to Mercure on your next visit to Canberra. Regards, Daryll

There are newer reviews for Mercure Canberra

998 - 1,004 of 1,757 reviews

Reviewed October 26, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Scott G, Front Office Manager at Mercure Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Reviewed October 25, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed at the Canberra Mercure for two nights recently whilst in Canberra for work. I've never stayed here before and was interested to try it because it is a little bit further out than some of the other hotels.

Let be begin (as always) with the good things. The staff were excellent. The lass on the desk was a trainee but her service was first rate, Fast, friendly, accurate. A good start to my stay. Reception is open 24 hrs and I arrived to check in at about 9.30 pm which didn't present a problem.

I was in Room 306 which is towards the rear of the hotel. It was a bit of an effort to find the room, but I was pleasantly surprised. This is an older hotel - the atmosphere (which I loved) kind of reminded me of the old Parliament House. The rooms are around a courtyard so everyone gets an opening out to a garden view. The room had new carpets and seemed to me to be recently painted. It was very clean and the beds were new as was the iron, which was clean and it wasn't a cheap one either.

The TV on the wall facing the bed had a crisp clear picture and the fittings all worked well. The bathroom was clean and well appointed. The towels were huge and very thirsty which I do like!

Breakfast was the winner here. For a $15 pre pay voucher from the reception (normal price is $25 per head) you get a full buffet breakfast of really good quality. This is truly good value.

Now for the not so good. The fridge in the room was very noisy. So much so that I turned it off for the duration and simply switched it back on before I checked out. My room was near a walkway and door to the courtyard which banged loudly as anyone walks through. It'd be so easy to put a soft door closer on it and that would have stopped me swearing a few time too.

The distance from Civic is not a big problem. The Canberra Centre is about a 900 metre walk down Ainslie Ave. If you're not very mobile that could be a bit of a challenge. However if you have a car the carpark at the rear of the hotel is huge and very easily accessible.

Summary: Not what I expected. For an older hotel this is really quite nice. I'm glad I tried it and honestly, if I could get a room not so close to that damned door I'd probably stay again.

Enjoy!

Room Tip: Stay away from the back door area due to noise. Don't forget to pre purchase a breakfast vouche...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on the hotel. We very much appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our rooms and the liked the buffet breakfasts. I am sorry that you experienced noise from the fridge, as well as the doors and I have passed on your suggestion for the soft door closer. We hope to welcome you back to Mercure on your next visit to Nation's capitol. Regards Daryll

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed Friday, Saturday and Sunday night on a pay for 2 get a extra night free deal. Liked the quite, good sized room on the ground floor. Reception staff were pleasant and knowledgable. The hotel is well located to visit the War Memorial, a must see for any visitor to Canberra.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel and choosing to stay with us. It is always a delight to know that our guests enjoyed their rooms and the team have been pleasant and helpful. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Canberra. Regards, Daryll

Reviewed October 21, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We travelled as group of 5 and had a loft room on Ainslee Ave and a double on the other side of the building . Rooms were fine and beds comforatable. Reception staff were friendly and helpful.
The $15 breakfast special was good value for a buffet breakfast. All the usual subjects were present and special requests were provided with a smile.
On our first night and because we had traveled all day we decided to dine in the Hotel. This turned out not to be a wise decision. There was a seminar/function being conducted in an adjoining function room which severely impacted on service. Once seated we were left to our own devices for some time no menues or offer of drinks. Apologies were proffered with the arrival of said menues and we were advised that an unannounced table of 10 was also impacting service.
The food was patchy. Entres when they arrived were patchy , the worst being the Japanese Scallops (3 pieces of Scallop meat which appeared to have been sliced of the one scallop) however the sauce was good. The entree dishes were not memorable. Mains took an age to arrive and steak, duck and Salmon were overcooked. My lamb loin was lukewarm and hard, apparently due to being rested? TOO long. Sauces were tasty and vegies ok. The male waiter that was clearing asked if everything was fine and I advised the issue with the Lamb. He failed to apologise or mention to chef, in fact, his only comment was that it could not have been that bad as I had cleaned my plate. Long awaited deserts were only average.
Would stay at the hotel again but will never dine in the restaurant again

Room Tip: Loft on the Ainslee Ave was fine, no traffic noise noticed.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying at our hotel on your trip to Canberra and for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that the service and meals in the restaurant were not to the hotel normal standards when you dined with us. I have shared the feedback with the Chef and restaurant manager, to address the issues you have raised. I hope we can welcome you back to Mercure on your next visit to Canberra. Regards, Daryll