“Canberra Stay at Old Olims”
Review of Mercure Canberra

Mercure Canberra
Ranked #22 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Engadine, Australia
“Canberra Stay at Old Olims”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

As an Advantage Plus member friends and I enjoyed our stay but the room was small with only one chair to sit on. It was OK but basic considering the price. Seems to be the same basic accommodation whenever we book with Accor and don't upgrade.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shiny07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Reviewed October 10, 2012

From the moment I arrived at this supposed 4 star hotel it just stated to fall apart. The rooms are pretty basic. I had an apartment. No heating in 2 of the 3 bedrooms. 1 bathroom to share between 3 bedrooms. No hot water first morning,no coffee machine at breakfast. Pillows are one type only which is fully puffed. You can over look some issues but underlying the problem is poor quality staff. Not once was I offered an apology for some of these problems. When I pay $400 a night and I get a cold shower I expect someone at the front desk to be apologising and making alternative arrangements not just telling me thatbthey will report it. This morning I had another wonderful experience when I followed one of the young waitresses into breakfast. Iwas 3 steps behind her. Rather than hold the door open for me,she just slipped through and let it slam in my face. Conclusion is that the hotel does not employ service minded people and provides no coaching?definitely not accor standard.

Room Tip: Should be your hotel of last resort
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kangaone
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We travelled to Canberra for Floriade in 2 October out 4 October 2012, chose this hotel as it was close to Civic, and also as an A Club Platinum member I had some points to burn.

Booked a Loft Room at $ 249.00 per night.

Here is what we like.
---------------------------
Spacious Room, Kitchen, Dining Table and nice Bathroom. Room service was quick at about 15 minutes for desert.

What we didn’t like
---------------------------
- Check-in was unfriendly, completely no acknowledgment of the A-Club Status.
- Checkout was slow even though I had already presented my points at check-in to speed up the process; I felt that they didn’t want to redeem them.
- The Wi-Fi was hopeless and kept dropping out, we were at the rear of the hotel in rooms 51X, tried an IPhone, and Ipad and a laptop, all slow and continued to drop out.
- Construction started at 7:15am on Thursday morning and that kissed good bye to any sort of sleep in we were hoping for. Work was being done it all four rooms around us. This included drilling and hammering into the walls of the rooms next to ours.
- Housekeeping needs do more work as there was plenty of dust on the bed side tables, and I don’t think had ever been vacuumed behind the couch downstairs. The desk in the Lounge room under the TV had not been dusted for a while either.

One serious matter is the stairs in the loft room. The stairs don’t have any tread which I found surprising and the carpet is very smooth, almost polyester like. As a result my 6 year old slipped on a step, but more importantly my wife, slipped down about 8 steps. Not until we got home did we realise how bad it was when she had several bruises on her side and more pain.

I don’t think that I would return to this hotel, or the Mercure brand as they all seem to be going down the same path; it’s a Novatel price for an All Seasons Product. The price of $ 249.00 whilst at first thought was a good price, after our experience it was completely overpriced, I’ve stayed at the Hyatt in Canberra for $ 230.00 a night and was miles ahead as you would expect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank UrbanObserver
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Booked this online, but reservation not read correctly and only one bed for the family. After a "discussion" with receptionist and being told that we had to pay extra for the added bed, advised her we had already done this and if she looked at her paper work she could see it had been booked correctly and paid for. No apology just "housekeeping will fix it up" and add a bed. Bed was a fold out and most uncomfortably thing to try and sleep on. The main bed was two mattresses pushed together on a base, also very uncomfortable.

Shower and bathroom clean and tidy, very modern.

There was some sort of pump or compressor near room that turned off every 1/2 hour for 3 minutes then switched back on, very noisy.

Rabbitt warren hallway to get to room, lots of stairs, not good for elderly people or families with young children.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Scott G, General Manager at Mercure Canberra, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Jay D,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, it is always good to receive constructive feedback. We are sorry that your reservation was not entered correctly and the room wasn't configured as it should have been. Our team receive customer service training on induction and it is dissapointing to hear that your issue wasn't responded to in a more positive manner. We will discuss with our team to address. We have now purchased fully extended rollaway beds so we don't have to use the fold out type. Additionally the main bed is a King zip bed, it is two single beds secured with a zipper as with most hotels, we put a 9kg topper on top of the mattresses so you can't feel the zipper, this must not have been on your bed and we have addressed with housekeeping to ensure this doesn't happen again.

We have some new room signage being installed and have maps being printed to instruct guests how to get to their rooms which will make getting to your room easier.

It is great to hear you found the room clean and modern. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Canberra if you are again in Canberra.

Regards,
Kingston SE, Australia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I booked this hotel for my father and I on a recent trip to Canberra. Initiallly I rang the hotel to get an idea of the rooms, access, off street parking etc, the man on the front desk was exceptionally busy and said he'd call me back. Guess what, he actually did (quite promptly too!) Very rarely do I find that a call-back from front desk occurs with any expediency, so I was pleasantly surprised.

I initially booked a superior room but when we arrived we found that these are up stairs (a bit too much for my 77 y/o Dad) so the exceptionally kind gentleman on the front desk did some wrangling and transferred us across to a Heritage room (not too far from the great Ben Chifley's old suite).

I can see why these are popular. They're old school hotel, wood and leather and class. Glorious. Nice and clean with all you'll require.

Unfortunately the dining room was more bistro than white tableclothes befitting the heritage atmosphere but the food was still very nice and made a nice central place to catch up with some of our various Canberran friends.

Not too far from the War Memorial, the Olims/Mercure is a nice walk down into the centre of town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
FiFo Geo,

It is great to hear your initial interaction with our hotel was very positive from our front desk team. I will pass this feedback onto our team.

We have 2 dining options with our Ainslie Bar and Bistro for Bistro meals and then our Courtyard restaurant with an a la carte offering.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Canberra on your next trip here.

Regards,
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This hotel was OK and I'd consider staying there again if we return to Canberra. It's right across the road from the War Memorial and an easy drive to the area's major attractions. We had a loft room, which provided some extra space and a basic kitchenette, but I wouldn't recommend it for anybody with mobility issues as the bathroom is upstairs (and they're very steep). The service was friendly, but very slow. It took about 20 minutes to check out and all we really needed to do was hand the key back! They need an express check out system to move things along.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HappyTravellerLH,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, and it is good to hear you enjoyed your stay. As a result of your comments we will be putting in an express checkout system in the coming month.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Canberra.

Regards