“Disappointing”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra
Ranked #19 of 59 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Recently, stayed at the Crowne Plaza for two nights, and was extremely disappointed. Firstly, I was in my room asleep and was woken by another traveller entiring the room... the room had been double booked. I expected at least an apology from management, but nothing was forth coming.

Secondly, order room service and received a cold meal with the added bonus of human hair. Finally, the room was not cleaned to satisfaction, with the toilet being stained by the previous resident.

I would not recommend this hotel. There is so many place to stay in Canberra - look at other options.

3  Thank LeeWilliams77
Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)

Reviewed November 1, 2010

We enjoyed our stay over two nights. The friday night buffet was fantastic, the food was of a very high standard and the staff polite and attentive. Breakfast on both mornings was excellent, again the variety and standard was top quality. Our room was clean and well presented, I particularluy noticed the shower curtain it was spotless. The staff were friendly and the concierge very helpful. The only negative we encountered was the bar, it was somewhat unwelcoming in the furnishings and the staff. There was a large screen TV on the wall with music clips blaring making it difficult to talk and causing other people to compete with the noise. Thankyou Crown Plaza for a lovely weekend but cast an eye over the bar area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2010

I paid $280 per night plus $15 parking per night. I would (voluntarily) have paid $150 per night including parking.

The entry/foyer area is acceptable. However the decor in the corridors upstairs is aged RSL club from the 1980's. The room was shabby. There were some broken latches and obvious signs of removal of fixtures which had not been painted over.

The room was very noisy. Each morning there was a very loud noise outside at 6am that sounded like multiple chain saws being operated. I suspect it was bins being emptied. Not my favourite hour for loud noises.

Service was slow. It took me 45 minutes to get concierge to come up to my room with a trolley so I could transport luggage to my car.

I was too annoyed by the whole experience to eat or drink in the hotel itself so can't comment on food or drink. However I observed discarded food and drink being left for lengthy periods in the corridors outside the doors of the rooms.

I could have parked elsewhere nearby for much less so I was annoyed by that additional cost given how much I was paying for the room.

The only really positive thing was the location which was excellent. Easy walking distance to everything including the Convention Centre, shops etc.

I had not realised the casino was attached to the hotel and this was not a drawcard for me and no doubt added to the noise problem.

1  Thank mkp255060
Reviewed October 16, 2010

We always enjoy our stay at the crown as the service is great, rooms well appointed and clean with nice views.

Staff are generally very helpful which always help.

Reviewed October 13, 2010

I spent 3 nights at the Crown Plaza in Canberra to attend a conference and having visited the hotels that other attendees were staying at (Rydges & Diamant) feel I chose poorly as the Crowne Plaza was $100 per night dearer yet offered no advantage other than being in the centre of Canberra and hence located very close to the Convention Centre (The Rydges & Diamant are only 10 minute stroll away anyway).

The Room was very clean and comfortable but was very boringly furnished. I found the reception staff to be couteous, but not what I would call friendly.

On the plus side, there was a small business centre room with 3 PC's with Microsoft Office loaded and Internet as well as printing access which was very handy.

I had room service knocking on the door at 9am one morning which I thought was a bit early and was also unable to get breakfast in the Restaurant one morning as there was no one to serve me due to the breakfast area being totally overun with people attending some bike riding shindig. When I was able to get the buffet breakfast, it was very good, but so it should be for $30.

I would not recommend this hotel unless you can get a discounted deal. I paid $1020 for a 3 night stay and feel this represents poor value.

1  Thank Reefretreat
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We recently had a three day stay at the Crowns Plaza Canberra. This is not the first time we have stayed at this hotel. But something very possitive has changed. It is no longer just a big hotel in a great location. It is a big hotel with the ambience and service that good small hotels are know for. The rooms were good, the restaurant good, the service excellent. Well done to management and their team.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2010

My friend and I just spent two nights at the Crown Plaza in Canberra to attend Floriade .It had 2 things going for it the location and the comfortable beds Thats all !!
We paid $251 per night for a room with 2 double beds We were told when we paid for our phone booking weeks before that parking was included IT wasn't and we were charged an extra $15 per night for parking and after talking to other guests we found out they were also charged extra for so called included parking. I wonder if they do this to all their guests !!!.
So for the then cost of $266 a night we got satff who showed no interest at all when booking in or checking out .Don't expect a smile , a kind word or any manners from the reception staff .
The room was OK but pretty average with the worst Iron and ironing board I have ever used .It had the two double beds we requested a desk ,a desk chair and one other chair and that was it .The hall ways always seemed to have room service cleaning trolleys and room service dishes awaiting collection as you made your way to the room .Some we noticed remained outside some rooms all day and in the case of one lot over night too.
We went down to try the pool and asked the pool staff for the pool towels which the guest directory says are availabe at the pool to be told you have to bring your own from your room .I went all the way back up to the 5th floor to get our bathtowels .On the way I asked the housekeeping lady with her trolley if I could get 2 dry towels to put in our room to use for a shower as ours would be wet from the pool and she said no I would have to go to the laundry if I wanted towels. Anyway we finally found the rundown dirty pool - full of leaves The spa was not working the top row of tiles was missing and as it was an outdoor pool the water was freezing cold .The artificial grass around the pool has also seem better days and is frayed around the edges so we gave up in disgust.
The second day we stayed we went to Floriade and returned to our room at 2.30pm to find it had still not been cleaned and the beds etc not made so we went out and returned at 5pm to find it was done. We were surprised to find the two teaspoons from the tea making tray laying in the bathroom sink which makes me feel that they simply rinse the cups etc under tap and replace them on tray without washing them properly. Also no biscuits are supplied to have with the tea and coffee .
To top it off we were woken every morning at 6.15am by a maintainence man with his leaf blower cleaning the City Walk area in front of hotel .He finished each day at 7.30 am so no chance of a sleepin on holidays here.
I will say the buffet breakfast was great and the staff in this section were lovely and we enjoyed the food especially the freshly made omlettes .
I would not recommend this hotel as even with its great location ,and comfortable beds it is not worth the money we could have spent our money better elsewhere

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends