“Comfortable stay”

Ranked #18 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Melbourne, Australia
“Comfortable stay”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

All the staff are friendly and helpful from the minute you arrive.
The rooms are small but practical.
My only issue was the wireless internet. ( free for platinum members).
Very difficult to connect and very weak signal.
Apart from that issue, a very please to stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Matthew A, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Vicki B

Thank you for your positive review of our Hotel.

It is very nice to read about the great impact the team had on your stay.

We are constantly monitoring our internet offering for improvement and appreciate your feedback.

We look forward to seeing you again when you are back in Canberra.

Yours sincerely

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Essex
Reviewed October 24, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights here in October 2013. The room was overall perfectly OK but not really up to the standard we would expect for this price. There was only one chair! This is a double room, so I'm not sure how they expect guests to share a single chair. And there is no table, just a narrow work bench (so even if there were two chairs, you would only be able to sit side-by-side, not facing each other). All this made breakfast in the room all but impossible (sitting on the bed is really the only option). The bathroom looked old and tired: plastic toilet seat and plastic fittings that were stained and dirty round the edges; cracked tiles. We arrived to find the room absolutely freezing and we both caught a chill as a result. Can't believe they had left the window open (it was about 5 degrees outside) and the air conditioning was blowing cold air in too! Also, tea and coffee did not get replenished each day (twice out of four days), though the milk did!

On the plus side, we found most of the staff to be excellent. Each of the two times we asked for something to be brought to our room (a replacement ironing board was one, as the one in the room was broken and dangerous) it arrived within 2 minutes. The gym (well-equipped and all machines working) and sauna were also excellent, though the pool was being refurbished at the time of our visit (shame they couldn't have mentioned this on the website so that we knew in advance). And the location is great for shops, restaurants and buses to other parts of town.

Dear Essexgreen

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to hear that the Hotel staff were prompt and exceeded your expectations and made your stay more comfortable.

I am sorry to hear about the cold room you were checked into. Obviously during winter our windows are not generally left open. I hope you and your wife warmed up all right. I am also sorry to hear that your tea and coffee did not get replenished every day. The housekeeping team has been reminded of the proper procedure for cleaning and replenishing guests’ rooms. Thank you for these detailed points, a seamless experience for all our guests is our absolute goal.

I hope to get the chance to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Canberra in the future and demonstrate our ongoing improvement focus.

Yours sincerely

Darwin, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in October 2013. Excellent room overlooking park on 4th floor. Speedy, friendly check-in and check-out. Room clean with all the necessary inclusions and extras in case you forget something. Food choices not cheap but OK. Only criticism is the $8 charge for the litre bottle of water - you have got to be kidding. Great location just a short walk from shopping and Civic offices.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms above noisy rotating doors at front of hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Matthew A, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear BruceMichael98

Thank you for your review of our Hotel.

I am happy to hear that the room and amenities were to your liking. I am also pleased that you were happy with our central location to the city centre.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Bangkok
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Satyed 3 nights here last week. In town for a convention right next door. Very convenient. Good location close to the city but most hotels and serviced apartments very convenient in a place like Canberra. Very comfortable bed - drinking water not replaced daily. Internet connection - like most places in Australia was appalling and way overpriced. This is something that the Australians really need to get their act together on. Paying almost $300 per night and then paying for internet on top of that. I don't think so. I will probably go back to the serviced apartment option when visiting Canberra.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Matthew A, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear OnandelBangkok

I am happy to hear that the Hotel’s location close to the Convention Centre was convenient for you and I hope you had a successful conference.

In regards to IT, it is a shame to learn that the quality of our system did not operate at peak for you. We have spent a great deal of time and money upgrading our facilities, however, on occasion very high usage rates can affect the quality. I understand the comparison to other countries and we look forward to being able to offer free internet to all our guests. From January the 1st we will be offering free internet to all members of our IHG Rewards Club.

We look forward to the chance to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Canberra.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Canberra for 2 days whilst visiting with work.
The hotel itself is nice, Clean and a great location to all things Canberra.

Staff were nice enough to store a bike for me that I had with me.

The Gym in this hotel is 1 of the best set ups I have ever seen and wont disappoint those looking to work out.

As with most business hotels I didn’t touch the mini bar or the internal cafes and restaurants rather opting to walk 5 mins to the super market and buy some bottled water there and taking advantage of some local cafes for meals. ( I recommend Dobinsons café on bunda street )
Be warned a bottle of water from the mini bar was $8!!!

The only real issue I had was with a member of guest services trying to enter my room without knocking to drop off something that wasn’t actually for my room ……. She was very apologetic realizing her mistake.

The room was faultless..... Great design, big comfortable bed and everything you would expect in a deluxe or king level room.

I forgot my razor and the staff were nice enough to supply me a complimentary razor kit.

All in all, I would definitely stay again and recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Canberra!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear ChrisCondon

Thank you very much for your positive feedback on our Hotel.

I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Hotel and that staying with us was good location-wise. I really like Dobinson’s Bakery as well and I recommend trying Cream Cafe if you are ever back in town. It is just a little farther up Bunda Street at the Canberra Centre.

It is good to hear that you took advantage of our toiletries (razor kit), we have other toiletries available as well in case anything else is forgotten.

The team has been reminded by your review of the proper procedure for entering guests’ rooms. I am pleased this did not impact your stay too negatively.

We hope to see you again in the future if you are back in Canberra again.

Sydney
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I just spent four nights at the Crowne while at a convention in Canberra. Wonderful service, clean and beautiful facilities and the most beautiful and comfortable king-size bed. I travel a lot and find many beds too hard, too soft..but like Goldilocks...this one was just right.
The staff unobtrusively cleaned while I was out for the day. The walls are solid and there was never even a sound from another room. The concierge and reception were polite friendly and responsive to all my needs.
It is ultra-convenient to shopping, the convention centre and all the sights of Canberra

Room Tip: Park view rooms are stunning.
Dear AussieCanadian

We are very happy to hear that you so thoroughly enjoyed our beds and that you were comfortable while staying with us. For your information we use Sealy mattresses and the type is Civic Pillow Top.

Thank you for your very positive review. I am happy to hear that your stay went well and our service, location and facilities helped you get the most out of your time in the Nation’s Capital.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Canberra in the future.

Adelaide
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Never again will I stay here. $300 plus tariff for Poor Internet that they charge for in your room, not a flash room, toiletries not replaced every day, no pool working, never service avail at concierge in early evening, just tacky all round. Not value for money. Location the only positive.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Caroline E
Matthew A, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Caroline E

We are very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the amenities or the service of our Hotel.

I understand that during busy periods the concierge desk is not always manned and I am sorry that this impacted on your stay.

At the moment we are upgrading our pool facilities, improving upon them for summer time. We are looking forward to providing a better experience in this area.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to our Hotel to demonstrate the high levels of service we are capable of. We are aware of the necessity to provide value for our guests and sincerely regret that we were unable to achieve this for you on this stay.