“Always good”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra
Ranked #20 of 60 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I often stay at the Crowne Plaza when on business trips to Canberra. The staff are always pleasant and helpful, the hotel is spotless and comfortable. The Red Salt restaurant is very good but with limited meals. It's OK if you are just staying one or two nights but not for more. But it is easy walking distance to the Canberra centre and heaps more restaurants so it's not a problem. There's a good but small gym and a couple of nice bars. All-in-all it's a very pleasant place to stay in Canberra and the location is very handy to the city centre. The underground parking is convenient but the spaces are small so don't bring your big car. Probably the most frustrating thing is the lifts. There are two of them and on most floors they're controlled by one set of button (actually two but synchronised). The problem is that only one lift goes to the basement car parking so it is hit & miss as to weather you get that lift from the upper floors. Sometimes you have to get one lift to the ground floor then call the other one and wait again.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the park (the back of the hotel) if you can.
1  Thank Bruce M
Matthew A, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear Bruce M,

Thank you for your review and the feedback you've provided. We review the restaurant and bar offerings regularly and will take your comments on board, as well as noting your feedback in regard to the carpark lift. I'm pleased to be able to advise that the third lift is now back on line after the extensive upgrade program and while the lifts do not all go to the carpark, the overall efficiency, ride quality and speed is much improved ( as well as the interiors looking much more fresh). I do hope you will see these elenments and evidence of our other improvement projects on a future visit.

Matt Anderson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,496)

Reviewed November 18, 2012

My strongest impression of the Crown Plaza in Canberra is the fact that any time I came within 5 yards of a staff member, I was greeted warmly (good morning, good evening, can I help you, sir). The concierge staff provided me with a map and information on religious services I had asked about.

My room was quite comfortable, though the bed was oriented toward the window, which I found unusual. There were two sets of blinds, one for privacy, the other a blackout blind for sleeping. The room had all the things I look for in business travel, including an iron and ironing board, coffee and tea, shower and tub, robe, work desk. The room was kept clean, and patrons have the option of having their sheets changed daily or less frequently--there is a card you just put on the bed if you want the sheets changed. Put your key-card in a slot by the door to turn on the main lights and A/C. I used the shaver outlet in the bathroom to charge my US mobile phone, though I am confident I could have borrowed an adaptor from the front desk.

I can't comment on the "Redsalt" restaurant, as I didn't eat there, but I can say at least that it looked nice, and many customers were going there for breakfast. There is a small business center, and you ask for an internet code from the front desk (which is 5 feet away).

The Crowne Plaza is in the 'Civic' area of Canberra, near the Canberra Center mall and numerous restaurants, coffee shops and stores of all kinds. If you have a late morning start, you might like the "Pancake Parlour" which opens at 8:30am on weekdays, earlier on weekends. For an early breakfast, I enjoyed the "London Grill".

I have stayed at a fancier hotel in Canberra, but the Crowne Plaza is where I will stay from now on.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Matthew A, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear SimonCoates1966,

Thanks so much for sharing this detailed review. It is fantastic to read that the product suited your needs and even more rewarding to read your very positive comments about the service you encountered.
I'm thrilled that we have been able to leave such a great impression with you and look forward to building further on this for future stays.
Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Canberra.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We booked online and got a good rate for a King Sized room (in comparison to other hotels)
Upon arrival, it became apparent that street parking was limited and we would need to park in the hotel. The check in staff were pleasant, however the parking charge of $18 per night made me feel like this was the hidden catch to getting a good room rate.

Our room was pleasantly appointed, our bed was big and comfortable, our pillows were superb, our TV was well positioned and all other aspects of the room met with our approval.
The Hotel is pleasantly located near a park and the City, shopping and cafes are all a short stroll away.

What we were really impressed with was the overall service we received during our weekend in the Crowne Plaza Canberra. Firstly, the room service was first class. The room was left exceptionally clean and all supplies were totally replenished. We also found the room service staff very friendly and accommodating.

Secondly, the reception staff were likewise friendly and professional. I asked for wireless Internet in the Reception area and was given a free voucher to use. I was also given a glass of wine for wine tasting as I cruised the net (that won me over!) Finally, I asked for a late checkout and by joining the Hotels loyalty program, we were given till 2pm to vacate. This made a huge difference to our plans on the second day of our stay and really enhanced our experience.

The services the hotel provides are also very impressive. The gym is large (2 rooms) has lots of equipment and a steam room. It also has an outdoor pool which we used on our last day at the Hotel (beautiful)

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Crowne Plaza Canberra and plan to check in again in the very near future.

Room Tip: Ask for a late checkout time.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bjornus

Dear bjornus,

Thank so much for your very kind words. I'm thrilled that we had such a positive impact on your stay - this is absolutely our goal. It was great to read your positive impressions of the product as well and I've noted your feedback on the carpark for when we next review this.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Canberra for future visits.

Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Above anything, this hotel is efficient and helped me to be likewise. It seems to be designed around the business traveller. Nice big desk with lots of power points, smooth check in and check out, good location just a few metres from the exhibition centre.
The gym was ok but the treadmills seemed cheap and weren't very good to use.
I had room service for dinner and breakfast, and both were fine.
Comfortable bed. Very quiet stay.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Echica1

Dear Echica1,

Thanks so much fo your review. Helping our guests get the very most from their time in Canberra is our absolute goal and it was fantastic to read your positive comments. The team feel as pleased as I that we were able to have this impact on your stay.
Thank you sioncerely for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Canberra.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel benefits from a good location, at the edge of downtown (the "CBD"), close to the big shopping mall (there is not a whole lot else in Canberra's CBD) and next to a lovely park. The building has clean, modern lines, with an impressive atrium. The room and bathroom were immaculate.

But, and there is always a but, it was not to my liking. The room was dear, even with a corporate connexion, and breakfast was extra (AUST $30 for the buffet) and internet access in the room was a whopping AUST $27.50 a day on top of all that. Laundering a shirt, socks, and undies totaled about AUST $20 a day. Phew. I would not have minded so much had I been bathed in luxury, but I was not. The room and bathroom were together were small, probably less than 4X7 m square. The furniture reminded me of a 1970's college dormitory, cheap, faux wood veneer over composite board. The bathroom produced hot water on call, but it was plain white tile with utilitarian (to say the least) fixtures.

The TV channels were very limited (about 20 local channels, no BBC World, CNN International, Al jazeera, France 24, or even EuroNews) and worthless to anyone with international interests.

Service orientation? I needed to borrow an Aussie power point adaptor (they have those "Y" shaped plugs) and was told that they were out, and if I wanted, they could put me on a waiting list! Ditto a brolly during a rain squall! "None available; hang around and if one of the few that we have comes back, it is yours." Now THAT is service.

It was matched by coffee at the decidedly mediocre breakfast buffet. My first cup took 15 minutes to arrive; by that time I was almost done with the meal. I savoured it, and having my newspaper, decided to order a second cup. It never arrived. Never. For thirty bucks. Really.

There is a Novotel in town. You might want to check that out before considering the Crowne Plaza.

The five point Travel Advisor scale forces a rating of "average" or "poor". I'd like to rate it "below average" in conversational terms. It is not "poor", but it is certainly not up to snuff ("average").

Room Tip: Try the Novotel.
2  Thank Rover1313

Dear Rover1313,

Thanks very much for your review.
It was great to read your very favourable comments on the layout and cleanliness of the hotel.
Obviously we would have hoped that our service experience would have created a better value perception, however are very conscious of the need to be competitive and deliver the right product for our guests. We will take your feedback onboard, sincerely appreciate your time in sharing it and look forward to showing you our improvements as we continue to work on our service and physical product offering.
Please do contact me direct if you would like to discuss your stay further or if I can be of any other assistance.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

traveling overnight from Perth for meetings in Canberra then back to Perth the same day - I tried to book a day rate from 8am to 2pm. The call centre person could not handle the treatment. I also object to eing transferred to a call centre when I specifically rang the hotel. Usually stay at the Crown but will look to other venues based on this experience

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank ggass

Dear ggass,

Thanks for letting us know about your experience. Obviously this type of outcome from our call centre or the in-house team is not the norm and certainly not in line with our usual standards nor aspirations in terms of service levels.
I am genuinely sorry that you experienced such poor response and would welcome your contact to discuss this instance in more detail so that I can follow up accurately.

Matt Andwerson
matt.anderson@ihg.com

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Centrally located, peaceful surroundings. Restaurant served great meals, tad expensive. On our arrival, we were greeted by friendly staff at check in. the Bar service was a let down for sure!
Rooms were beautifully appointed, so lovely to be able to open the window in our room. Highlight was bumping in Welsh rugby team staying over for a night. Would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2012
Matthew A, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Canberra, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Derar DeniseK2,

Thank you for your review and feedback. We're so glad that you enjoyed the location and the lovely park next to the hotel. We've noted your feedback on the bar experience and hope that we will have the chance to welcome you back so we can improve on that element.