“Eat and Shop in the One Spot”
Review of The Palette Cafe

The Palette Cafe
Ranked #195 of 1,419 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: You'll find us in the calm heart of a contemporary art space where we welcome local light and always meet your needs at the pace that you require. From an unhurried lunch to your table to a top-notch coffee to go, you set the stride from business-speed to well-earned downtime. We provide a wine list as carefully curated as the gallery and a menu that changes with the seasons and can always accommodate your needs. In an airy indoor or courtyard setting, you can enjoy lunch six days a week, brunch on weekends, and a small sweet extravagance whenever it calls your name.
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Regular business trips to a nearby agency have resulted in a fairly regular patronage of the Plaette Cafe in Deakin which is located in the delightful Beaver Galleries.

The menu here always reads 'delicious' though its translation to the plate is never quite what I expect - just a touch on the bland side. Maybe it's a Canberra thing but the interpretation seems very safe. So saying there's a nice range of vegetarian options and the cakes look yummy. I'm usually with 'just coffee, thhnk you' friends though a colleague and I splurged on a melting moment last week and it would win a CWA seal of approval.

The big downer here is the service which always seems begrudging - unlike the staff in the adjacent gallery who are a delight. Make sure you leave time to browse amongst the range of fabulous artisan works.

1  Thank Wirraburra

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Our group of three booked in for a Thursday lunch. Arriving on time I saw myself to the only table set for 3. The woman waiting tables was hostile and ready to move me on when she realised I was one of the booking. I ordered the lambs' brains - crumbed and served on a bed of eggs, cornichons, mayonnaise and herbs. The flavours were OK but I was astounded to find a bead in my meal. I quietly pointed it out to the waiter when she collected our plates and in response, she berated me. She was rude, angry, and belligerent.

Then we decided to share a cake with our coffees and again she became apoplectic and threw a hissy fit. It was a very unsatisfactory experience and we won't be going back.

2  Thank Gibbjo1108
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Good food - but, needs more dairy-free &/or gluten-free options. Most places do nowadays. And, leave out the packaged dandelion leaves as salad. They're nasty.

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Had to find a lunch spot in Canberra and stumbled across this gem. Located in the Beaver Galleries, it is cozy, with great food and service. I had an appointment at 1 pm and they easily accommodated my need to leave by 12.45. Top marks and the gallery is good too!

Reviewed March 17, 2012

An excellent cafe attached to Beaver Gallery, and a short walk from the Australian Mint. My wife and I had an excellent brunch meal. The prices are very acceptable for the quality of the food - not el cheapo and not over-the-top-ridiculous either. The inside eating area is clean, uncluttered and nicely decorated. The outdoors patio area is definitely the pick, nestled behind a beautiful fern garden. Definitely recommended for an enjoyable view of the gallery followed by a light meal and coffee.