“Good food but...”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“Good food but...”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I have been dining in this restaurant since it opened some years ago. The food is consistently good. They are brave enough to make a truly hot vindaloo. But the service... It is very ordinary. With a mostly empty restaurant last night they asked us if we had a booking. When we said no they offered us the worst table in the room. My wife negotiated a better spot. We then had to ask for a waiter to order some wine. And later had to whistle up a waiter to order food. He told us he would get another one for that task. This last waiter was good.

When we first started eating here, the serves were vast and we usually ended taking some home. Those days have gone. The serves are now significantly smaller.

The ambiance is ordinary. The room is surrounded by concrete or glass and it is very noisy. Even though the restaurant was less than half full we still had to shout across the table. All that said, I will still eat here because the food is good.

• Visited December 2013

Bristol, United Kingdom
“over rated”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I am surprised at some of the ravs for this place based on being a great Indian restaurant. Apart from middling food, what I and my partner had was nothing like the food we have had on numerous trips to Indian. More like a generic approach to flavour and presentation without the variety and subtlety of flavours characteristic of food in Indian.
A busy Friday night with numerous groups did not affect the service by efficient and pleasant staff, even though we seemed to have a different waiter every time there was a delivery.
The entrees were good but I wouldn't go wild about them. The banana leaf fish parcels were tasty and certainly not over generous. The Chaat was also tasty with a good combination of texture and flavour and overall, fresh.
The main courses though were sub-par. The groups either side of us appeared to be having a set menu. There was plenty of food on the table and plenty left behind. All dishes were in a sauce. And guess what. When our meal arrived it too was swimming in a sauce that looked similar, even if a different colour. The vegetable kofta had been mashed to stodge and was close to tasteless, thought the sauce did have some flavour. The fish curry was not even ordinary. The white fish was unappetising and the sauce not as good as that. I left most of it.
On the other hand, the rice was quite good: light, fluffy and delicately spiced. And the roti, while hot and cooked through, was good but only as it should have been.
One point guys: the menu describes various alleged Parsi dishes. Only problem is those dishes were not vegetarian and Parsi's are strictly vegetarian.
There were a lot of kitchen staff: stars for the rice and the bread makers; passing points for the entrees; fail mark for the mains.

• Visited December 2013
“Fantastic thalis”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I went here with a large group of friends and was pleased that the service was still fast and efficient. We mostly had the food served within a few minutes of each other, which is difficult in large groups. The food was fantastic. I eat a lot of Indian food - at home, in restaurants, and in India - this was amongst the best I've had. I had the thali, which was huge and in fact I couldn't finished it all. What I particularly liked was that each of the three "curry" dishes had a different texture and colour - they weren't all sloppy, which seems to be common in thalis in Australia. The naan that came with the thali was large and soft. My companions mostly had the "Express Lunch", which they all said was very enjoyable.

• Visited November 2013
Canberra, Australia
“Great Food - Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I went here for a casual dinner, decided last minute with a friend - I was so surprised at the AMAZING food. Best Indian food I've had. The serving sizes were really generous, and the Biryani was sensational. I highly recommend this restaurant!

• Visited August 2013
“amazing naan experience”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

When friendly service greets delicious food at a restaurant... you have got to go back. The naans were delectable and complemented the curries well. The lull of Hindi music in the background rounded off our experience there. Cheers to a great time!

• Visited September 2013