“Lovely food and service, but noisy”

Ellacure Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with
Ellacure Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #368 of 1,362 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Canberra, Australia
“Lovely food and service, but noisy”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We finally ventured across the lake to visit Ellacure, a restaurant located some distance from our southern locale! We are glad we did. the food was lovely, the willingly handled our food intolerance issues, and the service was attentive. It was very noisy though, partly because of a large party of about 16 happy diners at one end, and partly because of the hard surfaces and open kitchen. We'll go again but will aim for a nice day where we can sit outside.

• Visited June 2013

Canberra, Australia
“Fantastic food, average service”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The first time I went to Ellacure for dinner everything was fantastic, we couldn't fault the food or service. I recently had dinner at Ellacure for the second time, and this experience wasn't quite so great. The food was still fantastic, and everyone in our group really enjoyed their meals. The service however left a lot to be desired. For the prices you are paying at Ellacure you should receive flawless service. We thought that our mains took a little too long to be served, but that was ok because they tasted wonderful. The real issue was when we received our bill. We had been charged for 2 bottles rather than 2 glasses of wine. When we went to pay we pointed this error out, and in this situation you would half expect an apology. We were just told that's why we were given the bill. We then asked if we could split the bill, and we were told no because they were too busy. We pointed out that because they had made an error on our bill, that it would be convenient if they could split the bill. The male employee agreed, but was quite brisk and said as long as we were quick about it. Basically this particular person's manner was not one suited for an environment where you are interacting with customers, particularly in this type of restaurant. We left feeling really disappointed and unimpressed.

• Visited June 2013
“Friendly staff in Canberra. Unheard of!”
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

It's great to find a place in Canberra that has engaging staff, warm atmosphere, yummy drinks, coffee needs improvement. The food is fantastic. Best eggs Benedict in Canberra. Most enjoyable. Our new favorite place in Canberra. Well worth it.

Canberra, Australia
“Good but still room for improvement”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I went to Ellacure for Mothers Day breakfast with my kids after hearing good things about it. On the whole I enjoyed the experience, but a few things left me feeling mildly disappointed.

The service was very good - efficient and friendly. My coffee was very slow to arrive though, and wasn't hot enough when it did appear. I do tend to judge a breakfast restaurant on the quality of their coffee so this wasn't a good start! But being Mothers' Day it was very busy, so perhaps on a normal day it would have been better.

Ordering for my family can be tricky, as I have a fussy 11 year old and a vegetarian teenager. No problems at all on the veg front, as they had a great range of dishes. But the complete shock on all our faces when I ordered vegemite toast for the 11 year old and was told they had no vegemite - really??? Honestly, how hard would it be to keep a jar of vegemite somewhere in the kitchen? Sounds to me like an arrogant chef who isn't prepared to keep the customers happy.

The teenager was very happy with French toast, giving it a 9 out of 10. I ordered smoked trout and scrambled eggs on toast. The eggs and trout were delicious, but the toast was thick and soggy. And I don't understand this obsession with serving things in bowls. Why on earth would you put eggs on toast in a bowl? It just makes the already tough toast crusts even harder to saw through.

From a value perspective I thought it a little overpriced - $50 is quite a lot for 3 people given that one of them only had toast. But I might go back some time and try out their lunch or dinner.

Canberra, Australia
“Outstanding service and food”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We ate here for the first time on Sunday night and found the staff to be friendly and courteous and the quality of the food excellent. It is sad that it is unexpected to experience good service these days, but we definitely did at Ellacure and I will highly recommend the restaurant to my friends. The staff managed to be friendly without intruding and the service was prompt for such a busy night. This is not a cheap restaurant, but we were very happy with the service and the food was delicious. Our new favourite I suspect.