“Nice n New”

Ranked #3 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
melbourne
“Nice n New”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Nothing tired about this place. The staff were friendly. We stayed 4 nights and concur with the other positive reports on the Aria. Our room was on the south side of the building and had a very small balcony, which was also the only outside light source. This space was very noisy due to the close proximity of the aircondtioning plant associated with ABC Canberra studios which are about 100m away. It operates day and night. Double glazing ensured no noise when the door was closed. Mobile phone reception in the room was intermittent and we were annoyed by charges for wi-fi access(so we used our mobile phone hotspot) and credit card payment. These minor annoyances are trivial because we had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. We paid $150pn. Re Dickson eateries - try the Dickson Dumpling house!

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the south side.
1 Thank otiswallaby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Australia
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We've just come back from Canberra, having stayed at the Aria hotel. It was reasonably priced, offered free parking underneath the hotel and was close to Dickson where there are plenty of restaurants to eat. My only complaint would be that there was a sewing needle on the floor right near the wardrobe for the whole time we stayed there. I didn't pick it up as I was waiting to see whether the cleaner would! Obviously he or she didn't! We will definitely stay there again next time we visit Canberra.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

This is a great hotel, very spacious, modern and with good access to the city but quiet at the same time. The staff were very professional and willing to help with anything. The parking is also fantastic with free access to the underground car park where both me and my husband parked our cars with no extra charge, will return on out next trip to Canberra for sure!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Comfortable bed, lovely room, brilliant block out curtains (it was pitch black with the curtain closed, despite the bright daylight outside), fab aircon with sleep setting - I normally don't sleep well in hotels, but this one was awesome!

Also, the lovely ladies downstairs glued my shoes back together for me - not exactly a standard service, but nothing like raiding the maintenance man's trolley.

On a side note, when they phone cabs for you, they actually arrive on time - not something I have ever experienced in Canberra.

Room Tip: from what I can tell, there is no bad room, but if you ask nicely at the front desk, they'll upg...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We enjoyed our stay in our 2 bedroom apartment (2 rooms adjoining).
Roomy and comfortable.

We ordered room service as we had been out all day. The food was extremely priced, bland and stodgy. Our children ate two mouthfuls and not much more.

Our choice of movie on the television broke down twice. A man was sent up to fix the tv and he defiantly told me we would still be charged unless it broke down again. It did. I had asked on the first go re. no charge on the movie as our dinner was ready and we didn't really want to be watching it from the start again with two small children.
Yet it went into static and dropping in and out of sound again. We were then told we wouldn't be charged.

On leaving Canberra I realised I had left my Oroton shoulder bag behind on a chair (minus my wallet as this was in my youngest child's nappy bag).
Thus I was not in a big rush to get it back. I called today (2 days after check out) only to be told nothing was found in the room.
Odd. As it was there on the chair before we left. In the rush to get to the car neither myself nor my husband picked it up.

So poor form Aria Hotel. Oroton bags are not cheap! It also held some personal papers of mine. Very upset and disgruntled to know personal belongings do not get handed in when left in one of your rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Nicola A
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband and I stayed for just night and had purchased the Gold and Incas package which included a night in a double room, buffet breakfast and two tickets to the exhibition. As promised the tickets were waiting at reception when we arrived at lunchtime; we didn’t check in then as we wanted to head straight out for lunch and see the exhibition (which incidentally we thoroughly enjoyed). Check in was very smooth and there was plenty of parking and we were very excited to find we had been upgraded to a one bedroom apartment. We went to the Pavillon Hotel to use the pool (free for guests staying at Aria) which we really enjoyed as it was 38 degrees. We were totally blown away by how spacious and modern the room was and that everything had been thought of. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. My only tip would be that I would not bother with the buffet breakfast at Pavillon as it was crowded, not well organised and the food did not look appealing (I just ate cereal anyway) – Aria has its own café and I would just grab something there next time.

Pros
Very modern and spacious one bedroom apartment with ample kitchen utilises etc. Bathroom was lovely with good products and soft towels. Loved the bed (better than our expensive one at home), the curtains for sleeping in late and the vending machine in the lobby to grab a snack. The ability to use the pool at Pavillon was a bonus on a hotel day (maybe a directional sign would be good though). Friendly staff were a pleasure to deal with.

Cons
Location is 15 minutes’ drive from the centre but as everyone drives I don’t think this is really a problem, it certainly wasn’t for us.

We were both very impressed with this hotel and would definitely stay again, it was really nice to not be able to find a fault. Looking forward to a return visit to Canberra and Aria.

Room Tip: The one bedroom apartment was very spacious and great if you want to eat/relax in your room, worth t...
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Stayed at this hotel several times. On a couple of occasions got free upgrades. Whenever i need a place to stay in Canberra i look them up first. It's very clean, lots of mod cons, secure parking staff very polite and accomodating.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple