“Tidy place, away from notice but close to amenities”

Aria Hotel Canberra
Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stayed for the week-end. The place is modern and facilities and rooms are well kept. Bathroom is nice and you could take a shower for ages, shower head is fantastic! The reception staff are very friendly, helpful and approachable. There is ample, secure parking. I love the location. It's away from the noise and huzzle buzzle of the city but is centrally located to the major places of interest. The only comment I have is the size of the room. It is too small that it's hard to go to the bathroom without bumping into things. Other than that, the place is nice to stay for a short weekend break. Definitely not advisable for longer stay because of the size.

Room Tip: Ask about the size if the room and make sure you are not cramped.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We stayed in the one bedroom apartment, which was more cramped than the online floor plan indicated (it didn’t appear to be to scale). There was lots of twisting and dodging to avoid bumping things, especially in the bedroom, and getting to the bathroom. There was very poor lighting in the bathroom – no light at all over the shower (and no natural light), and wrong placement of light above the mirror, so you couldn’t really see what you were doing – I took a hand mirror to the bedroom window to use instead. The shower itself was great, and had a gel and shampoo/conditioner combo supplied. The bed was excellent – had a fantastic night’s sleep. It was also great having the convenience of a kitchen. While we could use the facilities at the sister hotel next door, like the café, gym, pool etc, it was nice to be able to prepare our own breakfast. Yet another hotel without complimentary internet – when will they all realise that this should be included? Even cheap B&Bs offer that! My final negative issue is the thin walls – this is unforgiveable in modern/new hotels (we could hear conversations next door and in the corridor, so we were lucky they were only conversations, not loud partiers!).

Overall, this hotel was perfectly adequate with good service and value for money, but the designers didn’t think everything through very well, which means I will rethink staying here again…although, Canberra doesn’t exactly offer a plethora of good choices!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed here with the family and found the hotel modern, clean, spacious, we'll appointed and quiet, so a good nights sleep was had by all... It's not the most centrally located hotel, and quite a walk from any decent eateries, but none the less it's one definitely worth checking out...

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I stayed one night in the two bedroom apartment with my family. While we just stayed for a night I found the hotel was very good value. The rooms are impeccably clean with modern and stylish furnishings. The bathroom shower head is absolute heaven! I wanted to know where they bought it so I could get one for at home.The beds are very comfortable. There is secure parking onsite. If you want buffet breakfast you just need to stroll next door to the Pavilion on Northbourne or there is a Cafe in the hotel if you want something simple. The hotel is situated in a nice quiet area about 2km from Canberra Centre and 1km from a great range of restaurants and bars in Dickson. The Hotel staff easily arranged a taxi for us that arrived within 5 minutes.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during a visit to multiple customers in Canberra. The worst part of my stay was they have a ridiculous early check out that they need to be notified by 2pm the previous day that you are shortening your stay. In my case, I checked out 1 day early at 730am. That is more than enough time to clean the room and make it ready for another guest to stay in. They would not budge on it at all and I was forced to pay the night that I was not staying there. This is definitely a business hotel and to expect guests to inform them by 2pm is ridiculous since most people are still working until at least 5pm.

Even though it was apparent I was with a colleague that had booked under the corporate rate, my travel agent did not inform them of this group at booking. They refused to adjust to the same rate. This is definitely my TA's fault but for the sake of a positive guest experience, they could have adjusted the price.

The room was average for a hotel room. They have a desk and a table in the room that makes it too crowded. The bed is good so that is a positive as well as the AC working great. The bathroom is all glass to the floor. It results in a wet floor outside the shower and the shower drain is near the back of the wall resulting in pooled water.

Overall, I am disappointed in this hotel. I will never stay here again and make sure others are aware of there complete lack of flexibility. Once they have you locked in to a "contract" they refuse to adjust to improve guest experience.

Room Tip: Be sure to read the fine print before you get locked in to a rate.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank adamjohnson4
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My partner and I have stayed here 4 times now. It is a great hotel, very friendly and helpful staff. We love the free secure parking! Room service food is excellent, the rooms are spacious and comfortable. We also love that every room has a balcony.
The location of the hotel is great, off the main road so quieter than others we have staying in, but still close to everything.
We have family in Canberra, so visit at least twice a year and we will be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Katherine J
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This Hotel offers good value specials. The rooms are clean and quiet. The secure parking is a bonus and allows direct access to rooms which is valuable when it rains. The light breakfast snacks in the Atrium are valuable when one needs an early start (even though the service there can be a bit surly). Definitely NOT recommended is the Atrium Restaurant in the Pavilion next door - meagre portions of poor food at top prices in our experience. Much better to eat out at places such as the Dickson Centre not far away.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family