“Canberra weekend”

Ranked #8 of 15 Canberra B&B and Inns
Bateau Bay, Australia
“Canberra weekend”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The Miranda Lodge was great for a Saturday night stay. Location easy to find on main road, but we never heard the noise. Very handy to shopping centre 5 mins walk and great Tradies club with cheap country meals. Mark was very friendly and happily ready to impart his knowledge of the area and places to visit. Plenty of tourist brochures handy in front room.
The room was clean roomy and comfy. Plenty of mod cons to suit the weary traveller.
The breakfast was superb, hot, well cooked and delicious. The bacon was the best have ever tasted. I asked Mark where he got it and he said from Sydney as they only get the best food because that's what makes his guest happy. Too right.
I recommend this place to everyone and we will be staying here next visit to Canberra.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New Zealand
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights in March and while basic it was very comfortable. The best thing about this lodge are the managers, Mark & Shan. Very friendly, very attentive to needs and always happy to give advice on what to do, where to go and to listen to my chat about what I had done while staying. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them and it was a pleasure to meet and stay with them.

The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and had everything I needed including overhead fan, a fridge, TV, tea and coffee making facilities and plenty of blankets and pillows if needed. Fresh soap and shampoo was left every day along with fluffy towels. I would have given 5 points but some things are getting a bit 'tired' and it won't be long before the room needs updating, ie, one foot missing from the fridge making it wobbly; outdated style of shower (but very adequate), curtains and drapes looking a bit sad.

The location is very good, being just 2 or 3 kilometers from the city centre and the local shopping centre (Dickson) is within 5 or 6 minutes walk and has many restaurants/cafes with international cuisine on offer. I had a different cuisine most nights - Thai, Indian, Chinese and twice at a new Turkish restaurant, Alhara's, I think the name is, on Cape Street. It was one of only two restaurants that I dined at twice during my two week stay in Canberra and Sydney, the other being the Himalyan Char Grill in Glebe, Sydney. Both had delicious food, easily the best of the area in each instance.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay very much and would recommend this as a good base for exploring Canberra and surrounds. It's not luxurious, but the price is right and the personal service makes this place a little gem. I would happily stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 1, 2014

My friends and I stayed at Miranda Lodge for 3 nights in the family room. Beds were in good condition and towels, shampoos and bar soaps were provided. Mark is a personable and friendly owner who made us felt welcomed the very moment we reached. His wife is a wonderful cook who prepared sumptuous breakfasts every morning. Overall an excellent stay. We will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Budapest
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Having landed at 08:30 in Sydney after an overnight flight from Bangkok we picked up a car and drove to Canberra (arrived at 14:30) to stay at the Miranda Lodge. What a great choice and great value for the money. The room is fairly basic but has all the needed facilities and the experience is made by our helpful host (Mark) he suggested that we hang on, before sleep, to go to the Australian War Memorial for the 'Last Post' ceremony and what excellent advice a very moving experience. Dinner round the corner in Dickson (El Dorado) was within walking distance and good value. The cost at the Miranda Lodge included a full cooked breakfast where we all shared a common room/table and were able to make friends and swap stories with our other guests all encouraged and gently arranged by Mark. Our room was on the ground floor at the front and I'm glad to say we didn't notice the traffic. All round great and thank you!

Room Tip: Maybe rooms at the back might be quieter but realy not a problem.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank annieisathome
Nottingham
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Super spot, a convenient walk down Northbourne into the centre (less than 4 kms - then use the free 100 service circular tourist bus for access to most sights). Helpful host (Mark), great breakfasts and even an amusing cat !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bristol
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Quite basic accommodation on the outskirts of the city, but we really enjoyed our stay here and it was exactly what we needed for one night in Canberra. Easy parking and a friendly welcome, spotlessly clean room and the owners went to a lot of trouble to ensure we made the most of our stay in Canberra, helping with arrangements, suggestions etc.

Breakfast was fresh, hot and plentiful, with a range of cold buffet options as well. Not plush, but you shouldn't expect if for this price - we were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed our time at the Miranda Lodge.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I serendipitously discovered this little gem during an overnight trip to Canberra to see the Maps exhibit at the Library.

The owner, Mark, is a definite plus: friendly, engaging and genuinely interested in making your Canberra excursion a bit easier. He even called me after we left and politely informed me that I'd accidentally left a phone charger behind. I've stayed in more expensive establishments in Canberra and, on the odd occasion that I forgot something, have never been notified. So I guess I should add 'honest' to the above list.

Cat lovers take note: there's also a gorgeous and friendly Persian cat roaming the lower level to give the place a bit of character. It looks like one of those big puffy lap-cats that is the equivalent of a feline dandelion.

The rooms are basic compared to some other establishments, but the price of the room more than counters this difference, and all I really care about is a comfy bed and a shower with hot water. Miranda ticks those boxes. Light sleepers beware - you may hear some car noises in the morning as the B & B is next to a main road.

Breakfast was included in the price. I almost had a stroke when I learnt this, and thought excitedly to myself: "man, I think I might have stumbled across the best value accommodation in Canberra!" It's a decent breakfast too. I can consume an entire third world economy at breakfast time, and walked away full.

Finally, the Lodge is walking distance from Dickson, which is hands down the best restaurant precinct of Canberra and the top stop where one can stuff themselves silly with all manner of delicious Asian food. It's a bit further away from the CBD, but let's not fool ourselves here - nowhere in Canberra is really far from anywhere else. A quick bus or car ride and you're where you want to be without any hassles.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple