“Actually, it was very nice!”

The Scholar Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #466 of 1,389 Restaurants in Canberra
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Sydney, Australia
“Actually, it was very nice!”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Went to The Scholar Chinese Restaurant with a few friends. One of the friends is originally from Canberra (half-Chinese/half-Europen) so it was as per his recommendation that we went to Dickson for Asian dinner. The restaurant we wanted to go to turned out to be full so we only picked the Scholoar because it was near the first restaurant. We didn't know what to expect. And then the experience was fantastic after all!
We ordered several dishes including a vegetarian fried rice (that was for me). My friends had prawn, chicken, scallop dishes and a seafood fried rice. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal. It was Saturday night and there were not many customers so perhaps that was why the service was good and fast. The staff members who looked after us spoke good English/Mandarin/Cantonese so we had no problems communicating with them.
The food looked and tasted nice and fresh, and the bill was surprisingly reasonable! We had a bottle of wine, yet it was only $115 all up (you know how expensive a bottle of wine can be in restaurants!!). As said, it was by chance we had dinner at The Scholar but I know I will be returning there for dinner when I travel to Canberra in future.

Canberra
“Food was ok, service was very slow”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I went to the Scholar for dinner on Saturday night for a friend's birthday. The service was very slow. There was no order in the way the dishes arrived - we started with the singapore chilli crab but didn't get the lobster until nearly the very end (by then we were starting to get full). The dishes were all good except the pork belly. It came out still cold (it was a big chunk of slow cooked pork belly but still wasn't expecting it to be cold). The staff took it back and heated it up for us.

Haven't had a problem going there for Yum Cha but it's certainly not my place of choice when going out for dinner.

Canberra, Australia
“Great variety”
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

We went to 'The Scholar' for Sunday lunch with friends. We booked ahead and got a private room, which was a good call given we had a party of ten. There was a fair queue for tables, but service was brisk and people seemed to cycle through quickly. In the best traditions of dim sum restaurants everywhere, the decor was crap. But, the variety of dim sum was pretty good, and the trolleys came around with happy regularity. The dishes were tasty, although some were cold (when they should have been hot). Best was the baked BBQ pork sesame rolls: the pastry was crisp and flaky. The cha shaobao were also great. We paid about $22 per head and were absolutely stuffed full at the end of the lunch. It's not Hong Kong, but I would definitely go back, and would recommend it to others.

Canberra, Australia
“Delicious, fresh, authentic yum cha!”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

My partner and I are lovers of Yum Cha, and it was an area which I felt Canberra lacked. Till I found scholar. The yum cha here is really good. There's a huge variety and it all tastes fresh and delicious. I particularly enjoyed the various manifestations of the pork bun! (baked, steamed, pork pie - all delicious!). The only downside is the price. $75 for 2 people seemed a bit excessive compared to others. I guess it's just the lack of competition in Canberra.
The opening hours for Yum Cha are:
10:30am to 3pm (Sat & Sun)
I think they open at 11am on weekdays, unsure.

• Visited September 2012
“Lovely food for Yum Cha but you gave to work hard in getting service”
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

Wentfkr Yum Cha on a Monday. The food was scrumptious and my tummy was very contented at the end... Not overly full either which was great!

Paid parking (up to 2 hours) is available outside which is handy but a given in Canberra so ensure you have some change with you for this.

Our table had to work hard to get service and it sure why... They don't speak English very well so that made it extra fun.

The food was amazing once it arrived and it was all smooth sailing after that.

Will definitely be coming back for more!