“What it's not = Clean, Comfortable, Quiet and Dark”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Yowani Country Club Hotel
Ranked #42 of 57 Hotels in Canberra
Melbourne, Australia
“What it's not = Clean, Comfortable, Quiet and Dark”
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

I really wanted to like it here. I really did.

The girl working the late shift is just the most pleasant and accommodating girl. She went the extra mile and ensured my room was warm when I entered and even gave me a courtesy call regarding my check in to ensure I had my key, etc.

For a backdrop to choosing this place, I'm here on business and all accommodation within a 6km radius from the CBD was fully booked. Except for this place and one other over the border in NSW.

To be fair, the nightly rate was very good, even as its rack rate.

When you think of a golfing country club, you think of (at least) something that resembles a bed & breakfast, personal feel.

To be honest, no. This is a motel. It is a motel with also standalone cabins. However, this is only my idea and I suppose it's my issue expecting more.

As I said earlier, really wanted to like it. But first impressions last …(and second …and third …and fourth …).

Now, my big 4 requirements in a place I stay. I try to keep it a minimum and everything else is a bonus:

1. Clean = it all looked okay at a glance. But looking in the bathroom, there are several pubic hairs just outside of the shower as well as long, straight, black hairs. With a few tissues, I quickly cleaned them up. I looked in the shower, there are more black strands of hair near the shower drain, loose and wet. One thing is blatantly clear: the floors were NOT mopped nor was the shower cleaned from the previous occupant.
0/5 - basic rule of thumb, be hygienic.

2. Comfortable = to be fair, room is warm (-2 outside) and you can choose pillow options from cupboard. However, pillows are very hard. Mattress is also very hard and, for my tastes, very hard on my shoulders and hips. TV works well.
2/5 - 1 for the heating, 1 for clean sheets.

Quiet = it seems quiet enough; as long as no one pulls in on the gravel carpark right in front of units or watches tv or opens/closes their door. And I can hear it all very clearly "with" earplugs in. The night is still young (2am). I'm sure I'll hear a lot more bustle very clearly in the next few hours. Heater in room sounds like a Concorde landing but mostly drowned out by ear plugs.
2/5 - with earplugs; 1/5 without.

Dark = there's nothing dark about this room. And as I'm sensitive to light, it all affects me. This is subjective to the individual. From my bed, I can see: green light from smoke detector, green light from heater, red light from tv, red lights from clock radio and major light from blinds near front door and sliding doors (lights outside unit seem to stay on all night and sliding door lights; not sure where that light source is coming from) and a very bright glowing from under curtains and between where the curtains meet (where's a bulldog clip when you need one?). Also, on both sides of the bed, there are long, rectangular windows with metal Venetian blinds. They look like they block light but 30 minutes ago, car headlights shone straight through them (closed) which woke me from actually finally getting to sleep. What's worse, there are glassed BIR's which directly reflect back the light from the curtains (so you can't escape the light; unless you put your head under the covers).
2/5 = at least it's 90% dark

Total score = 6/20 (1.5/5).

So the review, as you can see, didn't address luxuries but the lacking of care necessities to make a stay comfortable.

What's good: kitchenette has a toaster, microwave, bar fridge, dining table, chairs and sofa. Oh yeah, a double shower, too!

My verdict, 1.5/5 doesn't cut it, despite the other "extras". You may have different priorities. I hope you found this useful. Some pics attached for your viewing pleasure.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank CozyPrincess

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Nimmitabel
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

Room was unclean with broken furniture. Reception failed to inform us that we wouldn't get into the bistro until late due to it being meat raffle night, nor that for two days of our stay there would be no bistro at all. Broken curtain track meant every passer by looked straight into our room with a full view of the bed. When we finally did get into the bistro the main course was inedible, and even though we both sent it back after one bite, we were charged for it.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tess H

Travelers are raving about these Canberra hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed in a deluxe unit which was very spacious. Our two young children slept together in a sofa but there was plenty of room for an extra bed if required. Had a kitchen so we made our own breakfast, great saving when you're on a budget. reception staff were great giving us maps and tourist advise, kids had a ball at Questacon. meal in restaurant was well priced for a large serve (don't need 3 courses). Great Stay

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Andrew M
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed in Room 16 (Deluxe.) From reading reviews on Yowani Country Club Hotel we were very concerned about the room (only place we could book as Rugby Union was on.) Pleased to say all was wrong, the reception lady was very friendly, the room was very clean in looks, smell and feel.
I would recommend staying in the room.

Room Tip: Room 16 was great.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Quick Business trip to Canberra so I put the Clubs in the car and looked for a hotel on a Golf course.Location of Yowani Country club is great - not far from the city.Check in was by a very
unenthusiastic lady in the Club entrance - get room 19 and instructions how to get to room.The layout looks like some thing from the early 70's with long lines of dark brick cubicles so not very attractive.The room itself is very large with one big room that has a double bed,lounge and dining room - all very old fashioned but more than acceptable.
No restaurant open on Monday night nor for breakfast so thumbs down for this !

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Melboune
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We were only able to get a standard room as the newer “deluxe” rooms were booked out. The standard room was certainly “back to the 70s”, with exposed brick walls, strip fluorescent lights and ceiling beams. In its favour, the room had an alcove with a couch which gave a little more space than a standard motel room, as well as cooking facilities including a sink, microwave and frypan. Everything was clean and tidy. The small TV was mounted on a wall bracket, and there were lots of little signs about turning the heater off in the bathroom and so on!
If you want breakfast, you can obtain ingredients the evening before. For other meals, you can eat at the club bistro (except on Sundays and, I think, Mondays) but another option is to walk to the Dickson restaurant precinct, which is only a few minutes away around the corner.
The price was reasonable for Canberra.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
central coast NSW
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Stayed one night in this accommodation and found the room quite spacious and having a husband in a wheelchair the bathroom was very wheelchair friendly,but the room look very tired and could do with brighting up.The cleanliness of the room could have been improved and considering the options available to you in Canberra could do much better for the price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple