“Canberra Motor Village.”

Alivio Tourist Park Canberra
Brisbane
“Canberra Motor Village.”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We spent 5 days here in March 2013 in a Woodland Cabin which we found clean and comfortable. The location was very quiet but close to the city and easy to find. The staff at reception very friendly and helpful. We did have a problem getting clear reception from the TV but one of the staff cheerfully sorted it out for us. We enjoyed the proximity to the 'bush' and the resulting wildlife. We will definately be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Kathryn B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 31, 2013

The unit was clean and well furnished, but there was barely room to walk around the bed. Just managed to turn around in the shower without banking my elbows. It was disappointing not to have Wi-fi reception, although the staff supplied the password. We were assured it worked if we climbed the hill to the clearing! On one of the 3 nights there we ate in the cafeteria on the site. While the service was charming, it was slow and the pizzas barely edible.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank annge15
Highfields, Australia
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had four adults staying in the "Ridgeview" cabin - the name was corrrect - all we had for views was a hill behind us. the park has no character - lots of concrete and cabins squeezed into a hillside. bedding was very basic - the second double was short, thin and hard. No wifi. The park has good outdoor facilities, including tennis court and pool as well as a restaurant - we didn't get to use any of these, but they looked OK. location is good, about 4 kms from the CBD and other attractions. For what you get (a mobile cabin), this accommodation is really overpriced. we only accepted the rate (over $200 a night) because of a lack of hotels. I wouldn't recommend.

Room Tip: Probably pay even more to get one of the new rooms, or look elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Glen H
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This village is well set out....staff excellent as our room was not ready when we arrived about 3pm so were upgraded. Onsite cafe a marvellous idea. Cabin was spacious with everything that was needed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ryantandh
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I left my booking for accommodation in Canberra very late and since parliament was sitting I had very limited options. I decided to book a new cabin at the caravan park and try something new. First the good things; accommodation was clean and pleasant - I've stayed in a lot worse for more money. The setting was nice and quiet, no noisy groups. The bar/bistro was OK - food edible (don't order the fish and chips, its frozen pre-battered mushy crap) but the beef pie was great.

The service was pretty average at reception and in the bistro, although on both nights the most efficient staff member was on the bar.

The biggest issue I had was with the lack of wi-fi - having internet access is critical to any business trip. I asked for and was given the free wifi details from reception and was told that i would have reception in my cabin. Well, I could access the wifi but the internet connection behind it was sooooooooo slooooooooooooooooooow it took more than 20 minutes to load the smh home page. I couldn't even log into my work vpn. When I complained in the morning about this I was simply told, "yes we know it is unusable but we plan to upgrade it soon". Sorry, but that is unacceptable. If you know that you cannot offer a service I'm sure it is unlawful to advertise it, particularly when this service may well be a key reason for a business booking.

So, some advice to the management team - train your staff to smile and be a bit more helpful, and do not advertise a service that you know you cannot provide. I stayed in cabin 409 and I'll expect a call from you to arrange a refund.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Ben E
Newcastle
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Canberra isn't the cheapest place to stay, so to find a cabin within a few minutes from all attractions was a good score, at the price. We stayed in a Grevillia cabin, that was both comfortable and clean. Whilst we didn't use much of the other facilities that the park had to offer, we did manage a swim one afternoon, in what did look like a newly renovated pool area. All in all a comfortable stay. Will say there again, and would recommend.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tgricho
Melbourne
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I've stayed at Canberra Motor Village a number of times on the basis that it was good value for money. My latest stay, in an older 'Grevillea' cabin has changed my mind and I now think it only reasonable value for money.
First the good points - location: in a nature reserve but no more than 10 minutes from Canberra's centre; free wifi (managed to hook up this time); cabins: clean, good-sized refrigerator and full cooking facilities; beds: firm, check in: fast, pleasant.
Second, the 'eccentricities' - cheapest rates only available on the CMV website; $20 (cash) key deposit (refundable on departure).
Third, the problems - the older cabins are showing their age and badly need to be updated. For example - the (linoleum) floor coverings are torn in places, there are some cracked tiles in the bathrooms, the plumbing (water flow, tap fittings) need attention, the air conditioner (while effective) is too noisy as is the bathroom exhaust fan.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family