“Canberra Lyneham Motor Inn” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canberra Lyneham Motor Inn

Canberra Lyneham Motor Inn
Ranked #54 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Canberra, Australia
“Canberra Lyneham Motor Inn”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This place is definitely one of the cheapest in Canberra. The staff are not particularly helpful and the room had a funny smell to it. The heating is good which is a plus because Canberra gets pretty cold at night. If you are on a budget then I guess this might not be a bad option, but somehow I never really felt comfortable during my two night stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rathin_PeaceRunner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Hobart
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

Good value for the money given its in Canberra. Bit old. The cleaner came in whilst i was in the room and vaccumed the bed!
Warm..which is plus here.
Good location.
If you want somewhere cheap. warm and clean come here. There is a great pub just up road with a good atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rod S
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed here when my usual place was booked out. I was pleasantly surprised at the accommodation. Obviously the location is fantastic but because of the low price I wasn't expecting much at all. In fact the room was very cosy and comfortable in the absolutely freezing Canberra weather. The bed was very comfortable I had a great nights sleep every night. I could park right near the room. It was just the place to come back to after a days work to relax. For the price (it was $75 a night cheaper than my usual place!) I definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are very cosy and quiet
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TerryMac618
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed at the Canberra Lyneham Motor Inn for 2 nights.I booked through Last Minute and paid $85 per night. The pros are the room was huge and clean. It was also very quiet. The cons are the dripping bathroom tap, the extremely noisy fan heater, we had to argue to change rooms as the shower was broken in our first room. Basic tea and coffee which wasn't renewed. (including the milk). It was also kind of spooky as we didn't see another person the whole time we were there. That was why it was so quiet. No cars other than the receptionists', who was only there the afternoon we arrived. There was a sign on the window saying "sorry no vacancies" and the place was deserted. No one at reception the whole time. Luckily my daughter showered as soon as we arrived, otherwise we would have been unable to change rooms. Receptionist didn't want to move us until the next day, when she spoke to the manager. He must not have a phone. She said they were booked out and couldn't move us until I pointed out I needed a shower. She then moved us 2 rooms down. Weird. The room was very old and tired as well as the exterior. I would probably stay somewhere else if I went to Canberra again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Suzy59
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Ok Canberra is not the warmest place in Australia and have had a bad experience in the past staying in a freezing hotel but was very happy when we stayed here on a sub zero degree night and we were so cosy and toasty warm. The room was really well heated and the beds had big cosy fluffy white doonas. It's an older style motel where you park outside the room and the parking is undercover. It was really close to the city centre where we had to go and the gentleman in the office was very helpful with information and directions. Loved this motel, loved the price.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian J
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

When you first enter the room, you wonder if the place had been modified since it was originally built all those years ago, as it looks old & tired.

However, that is as low as it gets. The size of the room is what hits you next. We were able to set up a cot and still have plenty of room for the queen & single beds, small table & chairs and the rest of the furniture.

The room was nice & clean and the bed was quite comfortable.
No issues with the bathroom either which was very clean & the shower beautiful & warm.

Noise wasn't an issue for us, but we did have a room at the back of the motor inn. I'm not sure if the rooms at the front of the property would have more noise from the road.

The location is great as you can stroll across to Dickson which has plenty of restaurants & a supermarket. You are also right near the main road through Canberra, so easy access to the other areas of the nations capital.

I would have no issues staying here again in the future as it's the best value for money I could find in Canberra.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank nathandmez
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have read a few reviews about the Motor Inn before writing my own and I have to say that I found much of what was said true. Good and bad. However, I rate this motel as very good because it exeeded my personal expectations and I have travelled on a budget for a while. It beats every single hostel in a similar price range I have ever stayed at and reminded me of travelling from motel to motel with my parents 15 years ago. So it really depends on what you are looking for. If, like me, you enjoy old, non-Ikea like furniture and large rooms in which you can do cartwheels as well as friendly staff, a microwave, a fridge and plenty of mirrors in the room for a good price, by all means this is a place to go. If you don't mind putting a bit of extra strength in closing the taps and turning on an extra light for reading plus the old school charm then this is the place for you. It is close to bus stops and the Canberra information center. You are within walking distance of Dickson which has good restaurants and is quite cosy. There is an IGA convenient store in Lyneham, 15 minutes away on foot. I enjoyed coming home to my room after work and wished the place I stayed at now was more like it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business