“Not too bad, good for the price.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra

Medina Serviced Apartments Canberra
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Canberra
Melbourne
“Not too bad, good for the price.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2010

Stayed here for a few days on a short tourist trip.
Location is good, and excellent distance from both Kingston and Manuka shops. (Belluci's restaurant in Manuka shops highly recommended!)
Good restaurants in easy distance, and the place itself is a short drive from the tourist zone of Parliament House, Gallery, Library.
Indoor pool is in a basement, and dark and dreary. No windows, no natural light. Flickering flourescent bulbs and a pungent sharp stench of chlorine. A little sauna cupboard, and average spa in a dark corner.
The outdoor pool is much better, but only suburban house sized. Ok if there's just a couple of you. Also, quite cold, unheated.
Apartments are nice, big lounge and kitchen, and a sizable bathroom between the two bedrooms. Enough space to swing a small cat, so it's a nice change from a tiny hotel room. Each apartment has a private balcony - however the individual apartment air conditioning unit is located on the balcony, making this a noisy place to sit if it's running.
The noise from this unit is also audible and annoying in the bedroom next to the balcony.
For ducted air conditioning, it is also rather loud in the apartment. It works fine, and keeps the apartment and rooms nicely chilled, but beware for noise sensitive people.
Daily servicing is excellent, with a high standard of cleaning done in kitchen and bathroom, and beds made in bedrooms. Linen is not changed for short stays of less than a week. Four clean towels provided each day.
Underground parking is a bit of a squeeze, and there is only one lift. The lift is a fair distance from the far apartments, and there are a few sets of 3 step stairs between the far apartments and the lift, so not a great spot for access impaired visitors.
Small TVs with free to air only, no dvd player. Found myself wishing for some speakers to hook my ipod into.
The proffered internet service, through Rooms Online was a complete fail. The two options to pay both failed, 1st, by room number and date of stay - didn't accept our details, 2nd, direct to credit card failed with a server error. Quite annoying.
If returning to Canberra, I'd probably try my luck at another serviced apartment, biggest let down for me was the indoor pool, spa, and sauna.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Asilmaril

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Thai first
oxon,uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

I booked here for a number of reasons, one being its proximity to the cricket ground. Canberra is rather spread out and there is not a central area where you feel you HAVE to be, but given that one purpose for the visit was the Womens cricket world cup, I chose to be close to that one thing.

I had a good stay, they let me store my bags (only in the lobby) until I could check in later whilst I went to the game, the lady at the desk then helped me with bus routes as the normal tourist tour bus was off the road. The complex is a bit of a maze at first glance, but you come to appreciate it is not a concrete jungle. Didn't try the pool and had no car do didn't park, nor did I use the BBQ that was there.

My room was on the ground floor, and after a momentary problem with giving me the wrong key, it met my needs. Separate bedroom, sofa, TV, kitchen, bathroom with shower only. It was a little tired but then I wasn't paying hilton money.

As well as being close to the cricket ground, there is a bottle shop and pub up the road that was good for dinner the first night without stressing too much, and turn right and head down to the traffic lights and there was a little shopping area with one very good cafe for cooked breakfast and supermarket.

Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank the_crunch
Eltham, Vic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2010

We booked a 2 bedroom apartment for 7 nights from 24 December to & including 30 December. We chose this particular place because it offered an indoor heated pool and the fact that our apartment had laundry facilities. Our experience at Medina could have been the script to a good episode for Fawlty Towers. On arrival, the kids were keen for a swim. After plunging into icy cold water, my husband enquired at reception only to be told that the pool heater had broken a few days earlier and they were not sure when it will be fixed. The kids tried to use the outdoor pool but because it is not heated could not stay in more than 10 minutes at a time. Very disappointed. That night I decided to use the front loader washing machine. It washed my clothes well but both the spin cycles and drying cycles did not work. I had to hand wring the clothes and use the guest dryers located in the carpark. It was taking an extremely long time to dry the clothes this way as they were far too wet to start with. I complained after a few days of enduring this and was told that due to the xmas and the public holidays, the earliest that the machine could be looked at would be 29 December (the second last night of our stay). The solution offered was that we could have the key to any unoccupied rooms to use the spin & drying cycle for the clothes. Not good as I did not want to be back and forth lugging washing. It would have been extremely inconvenient to do this as I tended to put washing on either late afternoon/early evening. I could feel my stress level going up and demanded a room with a washing machine that actually worked properly. We were given the room next door so moving all our belongings wasn't such hard labour. I noticed the very next day that they put another family in the room that we had vacated. There is no way that the washing machine could have been fixed. They say things comes in three's and it certainly did with us. We came back to the apartment we had just relocated to around 9pm one night after a family dinner and went to put the kids straight to bed. We could not find my daughter's teddy bear. It then dawned on us that there were new sheets on the bed. Sure enough, teddy had been wrapped in the dirty linen and sent to laundry. Luckily the Medina launders on-site otherwise I doubt whether we could have tracked teddy down. Suffice to say we had a very upset daughter that night. All in all, our stay was very unsatisfactory. The rooms could certainly do with a revamp. Friends of ours stayed overnight in Canberra on their way back to Sydney to catch up with us and we visited them in an apartment that they had booked situated close to the Kingston shopping centre. What a difference! The rooms were much better, looked newer and cleaner, had a washing machine with a separate dryer beside it and an outside heated pool. I definitely know where I will book next time and it won't be the Medina.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank jackthecatEltham_Vic
Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2009

We stayed here in November in a one room apartment, for two nights. The nice things about it were the sizeand location, but that's all.
The room was very tired and didn't look clean. The carpet was dingy and there was no baseboard, just raw carpet at the edge of the wall There was no weather stripping so the big space under the door was great for letting in bugs.
The bathroom had a spa tub with a shower sprayer hung on the wall, but it was in such a weird place that it was difficult to use.
Did I mention it looked dirty? How about the cockroach that came out of the sugar/ coffee container the morning we were leaving?
The worst $200 room I have ever experienced.
I am sure you could find better accomodations than this one.
*I realize that one's experience depends totally on the room that is assigned, Perhaps those that gave this place a good review had a nicer room.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank birdieboys
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

The location of the apartments are very central to all of the main sightseeing points around Canberra, Questacon, National Gallery, Parliament House. A great set of shops with restaurants and clubs are 5 minutes walk. There is a great pub only 2 minutes walk.
The decor of the rooms and kitchen are a bit dated but the beds are very comfortable. There isn't a dvd player or cable tv, but that didn't bother us as we were out and about.
The staff are very friendly and the grounds are lovely and well maintained. The complex is not high rise (only about three levels) and spread out. I would suggest that if you are not very mobile to ask for a room on the ground floor or near the lift, as there are groups of 2-3 steps to get to your room if you are on a higher level and further from the lift.
I would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Toowoomba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2009

Very well appointed apartments. Stay for a day stay for a week and this place is able to meet all your needs. The Gym equipment is modern and all works. Rooms are very comfortable and functional. Good central location for the heart of Canberra. Buy a bus ticket from a newsagent and the city and surrounds are yours to explore.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank AussieSpike
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2009

We stayed at this place for one night over the xmas holiday break. It was a last min decision to go to Canberra and we found a cheap deal for a one bedroom apartment on wotif.com. On arrival we were upgraded fee of charge to a 2 bedroom apartment. The rooms were clean, spacious and the self contained apartment had pretty much everything you needed. We we very happy with it.The TV was pretty small however and there isnt any foxtel or anything like that but we were fine with this. Other hotels we have stayed at have TVs in the bedroom too but this one didnt.

The exterior is cute, a country home kinda feel which was nice.

Overall i think for the price we paid this hotel was a steal. If you are looking for a serviced apartments i wouldnt go past this. Its also in a nice quite area off main roads, lots of bottle o's and shops around it in walking distance.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple